Welcome to PatsFans.com

Watching sports on a LCD

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by larryo, Oct 3, 2010.

1. larryo

larryo Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +9 / 2 / -0

So I have finally saved enough to get a flat screen and have been doing some research but couldn't find the information I've been looking for.

I searched this forum but didn't see any threads about it so here goes.

I thought I needed to get the 120 mhz but I'm starting to wonder if that's the case. Would 60 mhz be fine for watching sports? and does all that even matter because I am not going to be watching in HD. I can't afford that yet and figure just going from an old 27 inch set to watching on a 37" or 42" flatscreen would be incredible enough. I'm going to get a cheaper brand. Maybe a Vizio, LG or Insignia.

Can someone help me?

2. larryo

Ratings:
    +9 / 2 / -0

Whoops. Wrong forum. Sorry about that. I don't venture out from the Patriots forum much.

3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Not the wrong forum at all. I can tell you I held off for a year because I was afraid I would hate an LCD with football. I did hours of research only to get lots of conflicting information. I stood at BJ's warehouse and watched a football demo they had on a $1600 Samsung LCD and I could see a flutter trailing the football and the crowd went in and out of focus as the camera panned. Well long story short one day I was in Best Buy I saw an Insignia (BB's brand) 120Hz LED LCD right next to a Samsung LED LCD and I could see no difference in picture quality. It was a 40' and on sale for $600. I bought it and couldn't be happier. Everything looks great. It was worth every penny. Turns out the issues I had with LCDs and football are resolved by simply turning off the motion enhancement cr@p they use on these TVs.

But, to answer your question YES you want 120 Hz. You will regret buying a 60Hz. They are a lot cheaper for a reason. It won't be able to keep up with any fast action and you will see flutter. I saw it on every 60Hz LCD I looked at. Most of the TVs at Walmart are 60Hz. The 240 Hz on the other hand do not have a significantly better image than a 120 Hz and may actually make the image look over sharpened.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  4. larryo

Ratings:
    +9 / 2 / -0

Thanks for the help Michael.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +681 / 7 / -2

larry, you need a 120hz set. Without getting into all the technical mumbo jumbo, frame work in 24's. The 60hz sets therefore do not process the frames naturally, since 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly. 24 does work into 120 evenly, so the process of integrating the video onto the screen is natural, and more true (24 goes into 120 five times). So with a 120hz set, you're less likely to see TBE (triple ball effect), and the assorted other things like ghosting, than you would with a 60. That being said, different sets are more effective with sports, than others.

A great site for info is AVS Forum I learned everything I know there.

Most important pal, if you can, wait till Black Friday to buy your new set. There is a massive surplus inventory of LCD screens sitting in the market. Both monitors for PC's, and LCD's for the home, are going to be severely discounted beginning on Black Friday. Prices will be lower this year, than they were last year, according to a number of articles I've read. The screens aren't moving, so the holidays will see great deals. I bought 2 TV's last year on BF. I got two 32" screens, one Samsung, one Panasonic, each for $299. Reg price on each was $549.

Some sites to look at for deals.

LogicBUY - News, Reviews, Deals & Coupons for HP, Lenovo, Laptops, Videogames, Gadgets

Dell Coupons, Best Deals, Discount Cheap Laptops, Computer Sale, Codes

Slickdeals.net: The best coupons, deals and bargains to save you money!

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

6. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I haven't been in the market in the last year... but when I get home I've convinced the wife that we need a brand new, incredibly large telivision! From the last I recall, LED backlit LCDs are the way to go? Also, as has been said, 120+.
    However, I think there is a larger issue here that has NOT been addressed.
    You are not watching in HD? Are you using rabbit ears?? I live in a relatively small town and I don't think it's possible for me to get TV without HD.
    Sports in HD compared to sports in SD is like getting a massage with a happy ending compared to getting punched in the face.
    Ya.
    But you should be able to get a decent 720p 40inch on black friday for a few hundo, I'd invest the rest in getting some form of HD. Once you get that, then next year you buy the 1080p 80+ incher :)

7. olschool

olschool Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Best flatscreen for football ?

Now that Fox is broadcasting in HD, I'm forced to take the leap to a flatscreen.

Watching the Pats/ Vikes on my old tube tv last week was painful.

The problem is, old caveman that I am, I have no idea where to start.

I've seen some screens that blur fast action scenes, and don't want to make a big mistake in what I buy.

I'm hoping that there are some video experts here, who can help me out.

8. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Re: Best flatscreen for football ?

Im no video video expert, but I can say my plasma (pioneer elite, not sure the model off hand -- but now at least 3-4 yrs old) has as good a picture as I've seen and has no blurring

9. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I dont think that there is one specific flat-screen for football but i have a 46 inch Sony Bravia. I'm not saying that this is the best tv for football but it looks quite well to me. I have up to a 120Hz refresh rate which can make things look really good because the tv refreshes so fast. The only thing is that it looks so good and clear to where some people that aren't used to higher end tvs don't like it.

You may want to stick with the a refresh rate of 60hz if this is a "blurring" problem for you but you get a higher quality with higher refresh rates or Hz. The brands i liked most when i shopped around was Vizio and Sony. Samsung also has some nice tvs.

10. brady199

brady199 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

I love my Vizio 55" LCD/LED 240HZ Bought it at BJ's for only $1650. Great Buy, Great TV.

11. cloud34

cloud34 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

55" Samsung LCD,1080 P, 120 HZ.....It's awesome!!

12. brady199

brady199 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

I like LED's for the brighter picture, but I had a 60HZ Toshiba, it was a nice TV, but watching football was blury and annoying. Not sure how 120HZ is, but 240HZ has no blur at all. Like I said, I love my Vizio, but Samsung also makes Very Nice TVs

13. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Any Panasonic Plasma and you won't regret it they beat the **** out of any LCD

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  14. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Lol i forgot to add no plasma tvs! LCD only lol. but i guess everybody pretty much agrees that vizio and samsung are among the best. I like Sony too.

15. RobAllan

RobAllan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +81 / 8 / -2

#12 Jersey

If you want to avoid blurring, you want a tv with a refresh rate of at least 120Hz, IMHO.

Stick with major brands and you should be alright. Do yourself a favor and look at lots of tvs at different stores under different display conditions. Then when you get it narrowed down to 2 or 3, read lots of reviews online.

16. PatsChamp88

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

No Plasma why because they are clearly superior than LCDs? Before anyone goes all crazy do some actual research on the topic ;)

17. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I have a Vizio LCD 37 inch, and think it looks the best. I had an Olevia 42 inch LCD, and before that a Sharp 62 inch CRT. Neither of them come close to the Vizio.

18. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Yes the 1080 P is key but make sure your cable or dish supports 1080P or you will pay for 1080P and you'll really be watching 720P.

Cox in Rhode Island is an example of cable that only goes as high as 720P.

19. IndianPat

IndianPat On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

Panasonic 42 inch Plasma. 720p Under 500 bucks at Sears or Amazon. Cant beat the price and its HD. As good a picture as any.
    If you want 1080p, the same 42 in plasma costs about 600 bucks. No blurring.

20. PatsChamp88

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Wrong no games are broadcast in 1080p in fact Fox is 720p and CBS 1080i