Welcome to PatsFans.com

Washington Past (???!!)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Incredibly shrinking Washington Post newspaper ......

[size=+5]WaPo folding biz section into front[/size]

The Washington Post has plans to fold its daily business section into the A section, according to sources at the paper.

Staffers will be meeting shortly, and I expect an announcement soon. Will update when more information is available.

UPDATE: Staffers have now been notified of the changes in the business section and other parts of the paper in a memo obtained by POLITICO.

From Monday through Saturday, business coverage will now run in an expanded A section that includes National and International News, Economic & Business section, a Washington Business page, the Fed page, and Editorial and Op-Ed pages. In addition, the Post will cease running full stock listings on Tuesday through Saturday, with comprehensive listings on the website.

Full memo, which includes Style changes, is after the jump.

Michael Calderone's Blog: WaPo folding biz section into front - POLITICO.com

Goddam Calderone, always with the facts ...... :rolleyes:

//

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +831 / 27 / -33

The Washington Post does not have a benefactor that can pump 2 billion dollars to keep it afloat.. some newspapers do.. you may not completely understand this, but our economy is in a bad way..

3. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

... and people are voting with their pocket books. The NYCrimes is renting out space in its HQ; the WashPast is circling their wagons. The Indians (and Chinese) are closing in. Custer's telling the boys upstairs to "make room, another crop of losers is on their way!!!"

//

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The Chicago Tribune just reduced the size of it's paper. It probably helped but just delayed the inevitable. Try buying an add for hire in a newspaper's classified, it's outrageous. Meanwhile, go to an alternative like Craig's list and get the job done at a 1/4 of the price.
    I read my paper with my coffee every morning as I have for ..........years. It's only because I'm a creature of habit and have thought many times of discontinuing the paper. It's a losing proposition for newspapers in this new world, unless someone comes up with something ingenious. Soda jerks-gone, gas station pumpers-gone (except in N.J.?), ice in front of congressman's door-gone, newspapers-going, postal service- what a joke.

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +472 / 13 / -14

Maybe Soros will give them a few bucks he is the puppet master funding the rest of the left....

6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

It's a digital world, the only paper that should be being sold at this point is rolling paper. :cool:

7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:woot:...................BINGOMISSIMO!!!................+10......:yeahthat:

How true. The Left has many, ultra-rich benefactors now. From Geo Soros to David Geffen to 90% of Hollywood. Even ol' Hoooogo Chavez will toss you a few billion (which he stole from foreign oil and other companies in Venezuela) to front the leftist cause.

Btw, need your own personal military airport??? Chavez and Castro will give you one, as long as you are against the USA.

Daniel Ortega now wants to be "el presidente" for life in Nicaragua, just like Chavez in 'zuela.

The End Times are here.

//

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I'd say it would be toilet paper, but RW might disagree.

//

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +831 / 27 / -33

Be content with your version of how thing might work according to right wing blogs, in reality it is well documented that Moon has spent over 2 billion keeping the Washington Times afloat.. there is no documentation of any Soros involvement to this degree.

For all of you expatriots who do not understand the economy, advertising sales are way down as a result of this economy...

10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Newspaper advertising sales and revenues are almost always captured by the biggest paper in the given market: the NYTimes gets all the high-end advertising in the NYCity area, while the other tabloids are stuck bottom-feeding for 2nd and 3rd tier advertisers. Thus, the NY Daily News and NY Post have been constantly under economic pressure to survive for the past 30 years; the Post was sold to Murdoch's group about 25 years ago for just this reason: the Post couldn't get enough advertising revenue and Murdoch has deep enough pockets from his other news outlets around the world to absorb the tough NY market. The Daily News has a 30% HIGHER circulation in the NY metro area, yet gets only about 40% of the advertising revenues of the NYTimes because the readers of the News are not in the same economic demographic as the readers of the Times, thus cannot attract the high-end advertisers.

Anywhere you look newspapers have always been funded by someone with deep pockets to get them going: again, the NYTimes, Washington Post, LA Times, etc, etc, were all established by rich tycoons who wanted to spread their influence via the fourth estate. See William Randolph Hearst, the Sultzbergers, et. al.

That Rev. Moon started up the Washington Times in 1982, and has kept it afloat for more than 27 years is simply living testimony to his desire for America's most important city to have an alternative to the ultra-left wing WashPost. The Washington Times should be funded and kept going by some rich Americans, but since nobody has stepped up to do it, Rev. Moon did. And, all in all, it has been an unmistakable demonstration of his love for what is good about America during a time when others have been been unsure about America. America was created by God to further His will: to build His Kingdom on earth. Nothing less.

//

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +831 / 27 / -33

Great admission that the Washington Times is agenda driven and exists to spread the message of Rev. Moon.. this is a healthy start, now for step #2.

As far as your figures go about the advertising sales etc. don't feel like looking them up... but probably are wrong or skewed to fit your agenda.

You still do not have a clue as to how bad the economy is and how advertising sales are down.... the other influences the advent of Craigslist and the internet on the newspaper industry.

12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:wha:

When have I EVER denied the Washington Times has a point of view???? Please provide a direct link. I've been totally upfront about that from day one. In fact, you've been on my case from day one simply because YOU disagree with my pov. Nothing more, nothing less. And by this comment what would you be insinuating about the NYCrimes, WashPast, et. al.???? You are saying that they do NOT drive their agendas??? :rofl:

You don't want to look up the figures? Fine. My "agenda" here would be what, exactly??? To show where America needs to go??? Yup, I plead guilty to that, too.

As for "clues" on "how bad" things are, here's one: China is almost in the position to dictate economic policy in America and the world. YOU may not care, but a lot of others do.

Next!!!!

//

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009