Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wash Times Article About Excessive and run away military spending..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 20, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Something that has gotten buried lately, but a long expose about the fraud committed by many of our contractors in Iraq, and the inability of the auditors to keep up with them.. so much time has been spent on blaming people from the 80's, wonder how much this has had an effect on our economy.. many have gotten rich off of this wot, war profiteers?? And few have been held accountable... seeing it is from the Washington Times it's gotta be true..

Pentagon spending growth outpaces auditors

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

And God only knows we can't be cutting back on Federal employees!! I mean, where will the federal employee unions get their money from??? How will the federal unions be able to influence elections without a lot of government employees???? Where will plum bureaucrat jobs come from to "employ" these folks??? Get a job in the dreaded private sector!!! :eek:

No!! No!!! Not a real job, please!!!! I can't live without the government's teats to suck on!!!!

//
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

And this has to do with the lack of oversight and fraud, how?? You make absolutely no sense.. GAO employees influencing elections??
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You're asking a "how many government employees does it take to screw in a light-bulb" question.

It takes only one. Learn to live with, and get a real job instead of sucking the tit of government, aka the TAX-PAYERS' money. The GAO has plenty of employees to do its job; we don't need any more "no show" pork barrels.

But you'll just find another excuse... it's your m.o. It's all you know. How sad.

//
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Let me get this straight your beloved Washington Times, writes an article about the bloat of the Defense Dept and an issue is that lack of oversight, due to staff shortages.. and you come back with this..

So I guess it is ok for people to rob and steal from the government, and you can assess that the GAO has plenty of employees to do the job.. even though your gospel Newspaper says they cannot.

How can you possibly know that the GAO has enough employees to do the job??
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How many federal employees does it take to screw in a light-bulb?? 3,000?? 4,000?? 5,000?? 10,000??

Whether it's the GAO or the DoD, the same rules apply: enough employees to get the job done and no more. It's TAX-PAYERS' money they are spending!! It's NOT theirs!!

I don't care if the story is from TWT or not; the facts speak for themselves.

//
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

But, but, but the facts were there not enough GAO employees to provide proper oversight?? That is the facts presented, all you present is undocumented information and hysteria.. yea that works in the real american world..

With your line of reasoning they do not need to hire new air traffic controllers, FBI agents, CIA agents, stop recruiting for the military.. they all need to do more with less..

Guess you do not want any more investigation, is Rev. Moon involved with defense contracting?? Inquiring minds want to know, as nothing else makes sense.

Better be careful not to denigrate your beloved Washington Times, if you think Vilnius is bad try getting relocated to Siberia or Mongolia.
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I was just in Mongolia last month. Great place!! Have you ever been?? You'd like it! Wild and wooly. Reminds me of the western movies from the 50s and 60s.

We flew over Siberia to get there, too. Big place. A guy could get lost down there!!!

Look, I don't know how many GAO accountants is enough to control the DoD budget, but 3000+ sounds like enough. To me. I'm not faulting TWT; they do outstanding work. That piece is about what jobs of the government are IMPORTANT. We need a national military, a national intelligence, and a national air and maritime department. We need an Agriculture Department. We need other necessary departments.

Do we need the government to take over the entire medical and health industry in America?? I live in a country with national health care, and it leaves a lot to be desired. It's getting better now BECAUSE they have instituted many private/free market health care facilities, and as we know: competition makes us do a better job. Nationalized health care without competition, like our current non-competitive public education system in America, would SUCK!!

//
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

So despite your initial hysteria and hyperbole, you do not know that is a good beginning.. keep up the good work.. Maybe in the future you will learn to do your homework, before you start spouting your opinions..
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Take your childish "gotcha" games with you to hell. You are a very small, bitter, vengeful man.

I feel sorry for you. You won't see the forest through the trees.

//
  11. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This is, in fact, the GAO's objective, to eliminate waste of taxpayer's money by keeping tabs on excessive/fraudulent military spending (among other things).

Seriously, what do you think is capable of "wasting" more taxpayer money:

1. 3000 government employees.
    2. Out-of-control spending by the military.
    Item 1 might cost out at perhaps $3M. OK, throw in another million for overhead.

I have no figures, but is there any doubt that item 2 could account for at least tens if not hundreds of millions? Even if wasteful military spending amounted to only one-half of 1 percent of its budget, you're talking about over $1 billion. Routine auditing of an efficient military spending program would still yield a positive net over the cost of such a program, so the mere suggestion of excessive military spending begs for increasign the GAO payroll.

I suspect there is a reason for a shrinking GAO payroll, and it has nothing to do with saving taxpayer money.
  12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I agree 100%. The Washington Times is the premier news paper in Washington, probably in America. Finding this gap in accountability -- the downsizing of the GAO -- is an outstanding discovery of great public value. You are spot on.

//
  13. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ater 8 years of war the equipment in the field is worn out, the money to replace and replenish is going to be staggering...........Setting up conditions ripe for fraud and greed leading to more budget woes.... oversight is in the best interest of this country.....unless you believe like cheney that deficits don't matter.....
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yet another thread whereby our resident crazy gets completely dominated, using nothing more than his own words against him... he's then left punting to claims of "gotcha game" and ultimately capitulating that his point made no sense...
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That's hardly the case, but you go right on thinking it.

How many GAO employees are "enough"??? They had 5000+, now they have 3000+. Do they need more? Depends. Depends on whether the 3000+ can get the job done right or not. TWT says ... maybe not. I say: let's apply the principle: "how many GAO accountants does it take to do the job", get the needed number, and do it, nothing more, nothing less. End of story.

//