PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wash Post Article on League Support v. Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I find so laughable:
“I would find it hard to believe he would change it, given that he made the original decision,” a high-ranking official with one NFL franchise said Thursday. “Was there anything compelling in the [appeal] hearing to make him change his mind? I don’t know that there was.”

“I think other owners are concerned about what this means to the commissioner’s credibility,” the high-ranking team official said. “Do they care if it’s four games or two games or one game? I’m not sure they do. But they would like to see the commissioner emerge from it credible and looking like he’s dealing from a position of strength. I’m sure there are some [owners] who are anti-Patriots and jealous of their success. And then there are those who have to play them in the first four games.”

Putting aside the absurdity of owners lobbying the commish for a harsh penalty due to jealousy, or to derive a competitive advantage (seriously, that's what it amounts to...the hypocrisy of owners lobbying for their own competitive advantage when the subject at hand is Brady 'more than probably' having knowledge of footballs 'possibly' deflated .3 psi? So they're lobbying for a very real and substantial advantage for a violation that hasn't been proven and amounts to stickum towels--which garnered a $50K penalty for the Chargers). Do they (and everyone else) not see how Goodell shouldn't be arbiter in this case??? They want him 'dealing from a position of strength' by not overturning the original ruling that he made? Are they out of their ****ing minds? This is why you have independent arbiters! And this is why Brady wins in a court, slam dunk.

More confident than ever that this thing is headed to court and Brady will be strapping on his helmet Week 1.

I think this boils down to several owners pressuring Goodell because they are jealous, some pressuring him because they want to beat the Pats, and some just saying "Christ Roger, just don't f*** up again and make us look stupid."

Unfortunately for all of the above, when this hits the courts, they'll all likely be quite disappointed.

I didn't know that the other owners get to weigh in on the penalties for rules violations. I wonder how many owners RG consulted before ruling on Woody's tampering case?

I didn't know that the other owners get to weigh in on the penalties for rules violations. I wonder how many owners RG consulted before ruling on Woody's tampering case?
I think he probably consulted all of them, provided they were an owner of a New Jersey-based team whose primary colors were green and white.

I hope Goodell get's arrested and share a cell with Hernandez.

From the article:

Goodell has faced strong criticism from fans, media members and other groups since last fall. The high-ranking team official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic, said most NFL owners want to see Goodell do what bolsters the commissioner’s standing.

“I think other owners are concerned about what this means to the commissioner’s credibility,” the high-ranking team official said. “Do they care if it’s four games or two games or one game? I’m not sure they do. But they would like to see the commissioner emerge from it credible and looking like he’s dealing from a position of strength. I’m sure there are some [owners] who are anti-Patriots and jealous of their success. And then there are those who have to play them in the first four games.”

So basically the owners as a whole don't give a crap about Brady or whether he did it or not. They want Goodell to take a hardline stand just so it will make Goodell gain back credibility.

One thing no one is thinking about is how is going to look for the league when there are chants of "Goodell sucks" all game on opening night. The harder he goes on Brady, the worse Pats fans will be chanting that. There was a report a few months back that the owners were embarrassed by all the boos Goodell got at the Draft. It is going to be nothing like the chants in Foxboro on that Thursday night.

Well, they don't get to weigh in on these things. But that doesn't stop them from doing it and then Goodell listening to them. It is the NFL Way.

Too many PR trial balloons flying around. Spidey sense tells me something is coming down tomorrow.

Balloons....War....Of course stupid 80s songs come to mind. Showing my age here. :D

From the article:

So basically the owners as a whole don't give a crap about Brady or whether he did it or not. They want Goodell to take a hardline stand just so it will make Goodell gain back credibility.

One thing no one is thinking about is how is going to look for the league when there are chants of "Goodell sucks" all game on opening night. The harder he goes on Brady, the worse Pats fans will be chanting that. There was a report a few months back that the owners were embarrassed by all the boos Goodell got at the Draft. It is going to be nothing like the chants in Foxboro on that Thursday night.

That's the "chants" he's willing to take . . . :D

From the article:

Maybe he'll come down with a cold of convenience?

But the person noted that a willingness by the union to settle could be interpreted as Brady admitting at least some culpability, and added: “An admission of guilt is a significant move away from Brady’s previous position.”
God, people are really stupid sometimes.

On what planet does "I'll take some token fine that amounts to .0001% of my net worth if it means I don't have to spend 10x that and a year+ in court suing the **** out of you guys" = an admission of guit?

I want those gutless owners to lose all their best players to season ending injuries. I want their teams accused falsely of every violation. I want all their roided up players suspended. I want them finishing with less wins this year than Brady has rings.

The comments are also quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back