Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Worth the 5th round pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a semi related note- That Woodhead guy sucks. Not ONE single TD yet!
Seriously. We signed this guy last week and he just started practicing today? He must be made of glass!

Last edited:
You know what the first thing I thought of when Arrington hit that guy?

52 Yard Punt - 15 Yard Penalty = Net 37 yards.

If it was Hanson back there that's exactly the same yardage he would get on a punt with no penalty.

Mesko so far has been really good with the limited opportunities he's had.

I had similar thoughts... the main difference is that we would also have had to discount the yards gained on the return :bricks:

Mesko's kicks fly for a long time, hope he can keep continue like that and if the rest of the unit also keeps the good work we won't see many returns this year and rivals will have complicated field postion quite often...

I am pretty confident Arrington's penalty won't happen again along the season... it's so no pats...

There really should be some way to ban people from starting threads.

I agree.

As for the OP, I'm wondering what made you even think of it? We're talking about such a small sample size that it's hard to draw any meaningful conclusions. But when you look at his performance, my fear is that people would get too EXCITED about him.

I mean he upgrades one of our weakest positions from last season. His net average is 10 yards better than Hanson's. We go from the worst to top 10, all for a 5th rounder.

What exactly is the problem here?

Profootballtalk had an article the other day stating that more than HALF of the 2009 5th round picks are no longer in football. When you consider that number and the fact that the Pats drafted him in the second half of the fifth round, the answer is "YES". He can boom the ball, and he can place it, he has also made a nice catch on an errant snap for a feild goal. The Pats have plenty of issues, the rookie punter is not one of them.

I've not been impressed so far. Hasn't been horrible, but (correct me if I'm wrong, >>>>I'm going off what I've seen, haven't broke down the stats<<<<) hasn't been fantastic either.

Then why did you even start this thread?

CMOPLETELY RIDICULOUS. Glad polling bears that out.

He cant rush the passer worst pick ever!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
After four punts, I can honestly say that Zoltan Mesko is, by far, the worst punter I have ever seen.

fail_thread.jpg

I agree. Cut him. We don't even need a punter. Then trade our #1 from Oakland for Joey Galloway. Did you see the bomb he caught last week? Wbhy can't we get players like that?

Yeah it is interesting to me how mesko holds and how ingram snaps. Everyone gives BB credit for his ingram pick but i haven't heard anyone actually noticing his play (me included) maybe that means he is doing his job well i don't know.

And on mesko... give the kid some time ppl

That's correct in Ingram. If you never hear his name, that means he's doing a great job.

As for Mesko, his four punts would all probably be in the top 10 for distance for Hanson last season. He's a clear upgrade, and field position is much better thanks to a 5th round pick. I'll take it.

Says the guy who defended Laurence Maroney staying on this team and sarcastically mocked anyone who thought differently.

Says the guy who defended Laurence Maroney staying on this team and sarcastically mocked anyone who thought differently.

Ummm..... given the current state of the running back corps, this was probably not the smartest rejoinder to put forth.

Then again, you're a fan evaluating a punter after four punts, so it's not as if you're doing a lot of quality thinking in this thread.

Ummm..... given the current state of the running back corps, this was probably not the smartest rejoinder to put forth.

Irrelevant, you were saying all off-season how there's no way Maroney wouldn't be on (and a positive contributor) to the team this season and you were wrong.

I don't think Zoltan Mesko was worth using a 5th round draft pick on. This isn't based just on his 4 punts this season, he wasn't even amazing in college. I don't understand using a 5th rounder on a damn punter unless he's without a doubt the best available.

Irrelevant, you were saying all off-season how there's no way Maroney wouldn't be on (and a positive contributor) to the team this season and you were wrong.

I don't think Zoltan Mesko was worth using a 5th round draft pick on. This isn't based just on his 4 punts this season, he wasn't even amazing in college. I don't understand using a 5th rounder on a damn punter unless he's without a doubt the best available.

Actually, what I said was that he wouldn't be cut. He wasn't. I noted that he and Taylor were the team's two best running backs. They were.

And your argument about the punter sucks with the force of a thousand tornadoes. Mesko was the 7th player drafted by the Patriots this year. They drafted 12 overall. crying about it being in the 5th round is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back