Welcome to PatsFans.com

Was The Obama Speech Racist, Was It?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -2

Why would his speech have been racist, harry?

Just because he's black?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

I said "I didn't know" that article said it was racist.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

Probably not..
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -2

No, the article didn't say that.

Now you're reading what you want to hear.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Wow, that woman is saying that the AP transcript is racist? Did she not hear the words as the president said them? I mean, all that was missing was a "can I get an amen!". EVERYTHING is now racist it seems.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Is Sarah Palin racist or classist when she says, "Gotcha," or "You Betcha?"

Does not Sarah also drop her g's and Praise the Lord when she gives a speech? Does she not deliberately play to her "audience" of "real Americans" by speaking in a homespun good ole' boy venacular?

What, pray tell, is the difference?
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

None. So are both excused....or are they exposed?
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I suppose they are what they are - polished public speakers playing to whatever audience they're in front of.

I don't know about you or your line of work, but I'd image that if you're like the rest of us you adjust your speech patterns and word usages to the people you're talking to.

I certainly didn't use the same speech patterns and vocabulary when I was talking to the rotary wives garden club tryng to raise funds for a new fire engine as I did when I was talking to a bunch of new parolees getting ready to do their community service with me.

And honestly, I wouldn't have been very effective if I hadn't been able to make the speech fit the audience.

It doesn't mean either of them wasn't the "real me," either. They both were.
  10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I agree. It might be even be called being considerate. Sometimes though it's just shameful pandering and plain phony. I remember an old boss of mine(white) greeting a black customer with a completely phony, contrived hip-hop accent. The customer shook his head and laughed then proceeded to ask him a question about a product with an accent straight out of Oxford. You had to be there, lol. My embarrassed boss abandoned that accent immediately.

When conspicuous figures suddenly change their normal behavior no matter how pure the motivation, it's understandable that some might be insulted when they are clearly trying to be something they are not.
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Maxine Waters was pretty interesting in response. She said she didn't know exactly who the Pres might be talking to when he said stop complaining... but she was also vocal in basically saying he needed to pay some attention to the left and to specifically black problems. An example: a population that started out "behind" was disproportionately hit by the great recession. Yet Obama has steered clear of any overt help to the African American community, and he has not addressed poverty specifically -- which disproportionately hits the African American community. The questions are now all about the middle class or the rich, but none about alleviating poverty. Pay attention on this board -- we want to get "normal" unemployment, with an emphasis on having jobs for each wave of recent grads, and on decreasing permanent unemployment among those unemployed during the deepest trench of the recession. It's all about employment but not about poverty -- i.e., focusing on people who need help regardless of present employment status, a category disproportionately (also) filled out by African Americans.

It's sort of the flip-side of "Only Nixon can go to China." Only Obama, it seems, can never talk about the gulf between races. He can talk about the current Republican penchant for continuing the class war, for which, of course, he is accused of class warfare.

But then again, had he had the temerity to talk about the gaps between races, the right wing would be clamoring for a race war, on the grounds that Obama had started one (by acknowledging the facts on the ground.)

PFnV