PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was the ball greased?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motion blurs the first pic so it is tough to say

The third pic is a tough angle.

Can you find any videos? I am trying. It does look totally different on video because the ball movement reflects the light more.

Motion blurs the first pic so it is tough to say

The third pic is a tough angle.

Can you find any videos? I am trying. It does look totally different on video because the ball movement reflects the light more.

Can't find any video. I have it on TIVO though.
Two more pics.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/SEA12001070334.jpg
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/SEA12901070506.jpg

If anyone knows definitively it was greased, it would be Mr. Romo.

Can't find any video. I have it on TIVO though.
Two more pics.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/SEA12001070334.jpg
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/SEA12901070506.jpg

If anyone knows definitively it was greased, it would be Mr. Romo.

I am not sure if he would. In the excitement it would have been possible to miss it and blame yourself. These guys are soaking in sweat. Their hands can be cold. So many variables.

I am not saying it was greased, it just looks different than any other ball I own or have noticed.

I posted this on one of the other threads:

Matt Hasselbeck, who is a class guy, said after the game that the footballs used for placekicking were new and slick, as they did appear on TV. They should rub them with Mississippi mud, or something, like in baseball. Maybe that's why you always saw Adam Vinatieri work a ball over with his hands before some plays.

I'm keeping my eye out for shiny PAT footballs tomorrow (as if I could do anything anyway). Also night game/day game illumination or ambient would make a difference. But, that ball was very weird looking.

FWIW, i'm adding to the comments here regarding how shiny the ball looked. I'm not talking conspiracy or anything but the shiny ball could just be the way the lights in that part of the stadium were.

you wouldn't grease it, you would spray it with Armor All, now that would not be noticeable and would make it very slick.

Having said that, I don't think there was anything wrong other than a young kid choking.

Last edited:
The NFL conspiracy theory believers are going to love this.

Patriots win as we are all patriots post 9-11

Bucs win just to show all that even the worst team in history has a chance

Patriots win again as the war on terrorism continues

Cowboys lose, we can't let TO win

Now I don't believe any of the above, but I guarantee that someone will come up with the theory that the NFL is fixing these games.

Seahawks won to make up for the lousy calls they got in the last SB.

Where was Drew Greasedsoe prior to the losing FG attempt? :confused: Did Drew sabatoge Romo? :confused:

As a final insult, heard Drew put tuna oil on Romo's ball. :eek:

I know that later in hte game they mentioned it began raining lightly... could this be it?

That's what happens when you go rub annointing oil all over an unproven player. :D

The balls used for kicking are different. They're brand new for every kick, whereas the in-play balls are scuffed to help players grip them. The NFL went to the official brand-new ball for kicking a couple years ago, because kickers were getting extra yardage out of broken in balls. IIRC, there was a home team or two (or 32) that would send out an extra broken-in ball when they're team was kicking. Now the officials control the kicking balls. Brady and Manning lobbied the NFL to allow teams to supply their own balls for offense, so that it is broken in like their quarterback likes, rather than having the in-play balls broken in to home-team specifications. (I don't know if that started this year or will start next year.)

They are going to review it until they get the answer. The pics up on all the sports websites don't do it justice like tivo.
Even so, if Gramatica makes an a half-hearted attempt to block Babineaux, there's a chance that Romo either gets the first down or the TD.....

That's what happens when you go rub annointing oil all over an unproven player. :D

The balls used for kicking are different. They're brand new for every kick, whereas the in-play balls are scuffed to help players grip them. The NFL went to the official brand-new ball for kicking a couple years ago, because kickers were getting extra yardage out of broken in balls. IIRC, there was a home team or two (or 32) that would send out an extra broken-in ball when they're team was kicking. Now the officials control the kicking balls. Brady and Manning lobbied the NFL to allow teams to supply their own balls for offense, so that it is broken in like their quarterback likes, rather than having the in-play balls broken in to home-team specifications. (I don't know if that started this year or will start next year.)
Good points, forgot about that.

I will agree that the ball looks slightly different, but we should examine the play associated with the ball. If the ball itself was greased or tampered with at all, then the problem would have occurred on the catch of the snap. You'll see that Romo catches the ball fine. Its when he goes to make the transfer to the ground that it goes haywire.

If the ball was greasy the likely place for trouble would be catching the snap due to the force with which the "body", in this case, the ball, was in its fastest/hardest motion.

Regardless of being a new ball, greased with canola oil, lard, armor all, or WD40........Romo caught the ball on a quick spiral back to him on the snap. If there was any issue, it would have showed up there. From what I saw on replays, he just fumble fingered it while putting it down.

A case of nerves in a young man in a big situation. Happens every day, just not on national TV.

I do like the Drew Bledsoe greasing it up theory though :D

Even so, if Gramatica makes an a half-hearted attempt to block Babineaux, there's a chance that Romo either gets the first down or the TD.....
Unfortunately, Grammatica wouldn't know a football block from a concrete block. :bricks:

Regardless of being a new ball, greased with canola oil, lard, armor all, or WD40........Romo caught the ball on a quick spiral back to him on the snap. If there was any issue, it would have showed up there. From what I saw on replays, he just fumble fingered it while putting it down.

A case of nerves in a young man in a big situation. Happens every day, just not on national TV.

I do like the Drew Bledsoe greasing it up theory though :D
I disagree with both Ghost and God. Watch it again (it should be on all day). Catching the snap from center, Romo used both hands to catch the ball, the whole ball. Lot of margin for error there. When he tried to place the ball for Grammatica, both hands were concentrated on the top half of the ball only, so you don't get your hand(s) kicked. That's when the slippier than usual ball did him in. It just slid right out of his hands.

Last edited:
I know that later in hte game they mentioned it began raining lightly... could this be it?

That could be very possible. If the ref wipes the ball with a towel because it were wet, it may have become more shiny that it already was.

I didnt know it rains in Seattle though. :D

Yes, this was actually discussed much earlier in the thread.

Maybe the ball is shiny due to High Def?

Come to think of it, Peyton's forehead also had an unusual glare.

I noticed the shine on the ball right away and I actually did think it was due to my new high def TV.

The refs greased the ball for several reasons:
1. They hate people who are coke heads, thus they want Irvin to be unhappy
2. To make up for their terrible calls last Superbowl
3. Because they don't want Romo to be the next Tom Brady

This is just like how they screwed the pats over last playoffs against the Broncos. They are scumbags.

they sprayed DW-40 on the ball before the play.

Someone earlier mentioned that it is not possible that the ball was greased b/c the refs would have noticed..... well that's how it was greased, by the refs.

Those scumbags. They are ruining this sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back