PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was the ball greased?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Predator

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I have watched the Romo choke about 20 time in a row, and the ball is super shiny to an abnormal amount. I know the home QBs usually scuff the balls before a game and the kicking ball is usually different, but that ball did not look normal to me. I have never seen a ball that shiny. It really looked to me that the ball was oiled or polished to make it slippery. Maybe I am way of, but it just didn't look right. I have seen a billion footballs kicked from that angle and never seen one like that.

I have watched the Romo choke about 20 time in a row, and the ball is super shiny to an abnormal amount. I know the home QBs usually scuff the balls before a game and the kicking ball is usually different, but that ball did not look normal to me. I have never seen a ball that shiny. It really looked to me that the ball was oiled or polished to make it slippery. Maybe I am way of, but it just didn't look right. I have seen a billion footballs kicked from that angle and never seen one like that.

I was thinking the same thing after seeing the replay. There was some serious glare off that ball. Maybe it was just brand new, but even a new ball isn't that shiny usually. The long snapper would likely have noticed, I'd think, if the ball was unusually slippery, though.

I was thinking the same thing after seeing the replay. There was some serious glare off that ball. Maybe it was just brand new, but even a new ball isn't that shiny usually. The long snapper would likely have noticed, I'd think, if the ball was unusually slippery, though.

Yes possibly, but then again with all the pressure, sweat, noise, etc the snapper may have not noticed. I have a few official NFL autographed balls and they do not look like that. They are way better that a scuffed ball, but not shiny like that. ESPN just threw out the idea as well. It is possible. Kenny Rogers and the pine tar this year.

Was the ballboy on the Seattle bench spraying some mazola oil on the balll before the kick? :D

NEM did you look at thing on video. It is weird.

No. NFL balls have a tacky look to them. The kicking balls are held by officials, so there was definitely no foul play. They just look shinier and darker with the gold seal on them this year.

Doesn't the ref place the ball at the line of scrimmage before each play? He can inspect it and probably would have noticed if it had been tampered with.

Doesn't the ref place the ball at the line of scrimmage before each play? He can inspect it and probably would have noticed if it had been tampered with.

Did the official have gloves on? The heaters were on the sideline.

Dave I have this years ball right here. It has the seal, but I promise the official ball I have is not that shiny.

On ESPN Post game, Jaworski and Ditka mentionned that something did not look right with the ball.

On ESPN Post game, Jaworski and Ditka mentionned that something did not look right with the ball.

They are going to review it until they get the answer. The pics up on all the sports websites don't do it justice like tivo.

Y'know.. I saw the thread title, and thought instantly it was due for a merge with the other Romo threads, but I'm honestly curious to see the opinions on this.

In all honesty, now that you mention it, the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that first replay live was, 'wow, that's a shiny ball'. I'm not jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon here, but the shine on it did catch my eye as something out of the ordinary.

Y'know.. I saw the thread title, and thought instantly it was due for a merge with the other Romo threads, but I'm honestly curious to see the opinions on this.

In all honesty, now that you mention it, the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that first replay live was, 'wow, that's a shiny ball'. I'm not jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon here, but the shine on it did catch my eye as something out of the ordinary.

I am not willing to die for the conspiracy or claim its 100% true. It even seems silly, but darn that ball was shiny. Ty for leaving this thread independant.

Shiny Football

Attachments

• SEA12101070443.jpg
    SEA12101070443.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 215
shiny football

Attachments

• SEA12201070452.jpg
    SEA12201070452.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 231
Normal football

Attachments

• SEA10801070243.jpg
    SEA10801070243.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 211
normal football

Attachments

• SEA1001070231.jpg
    SEA1001070231.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 209
Wow, the difference is really obvious. The kicking ball was far darker and shinier than the balls they were using in play. Very strange.

Did the official have gloves on? The heaters were on the sideline.

Dave I have this years ball right here. It has the seal, but I promise the official ball I have is not that shiny.

Weird. I know the kicking balls I throw around on the sidelines in Detroit are slick as heck. Even as a former QB, I have a tough time with them. I fielded a few punts this preseason, and had to grip twice before throwing it back to the center. You know, I wonder if it's a Gramatica preference? Maybe I'll check out some other photos to see if he just kicks with a brand new ball.

I do know I have the ball that we won the 2000 Orange Bowl with, and it is dark and shiny compared with a game ball I have from SB XXXVI (old NFL ball).

theball-1.jpg

Look, the whites on the uniforms are the same, the greens on the field are the same, the gloss level on the helmets are the same.... the color and the gloss on the balls do not match.

(Link for those with images turned off: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/t-shirtdynasty/theball-1.jpg )

That is pretty radicle. I hope someone pushes this tomorrow on fox or nbc.

theball-1.jpg

Look, the whites on the uniforms are the same, the greens on the field are the same, the gloss level on the helmets are the same.... the color and the gloss on the balls do not match.

If there is different footballs for kicking, then the lack of gloss very well could have been because the "regular" ball is scuffed due to being in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes