PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was the 9/1 Deadline Set So Pats Could Trade For A WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Certainly the deadline was picked for a specific reason, nothing much BB does would seem to be arbitrary. So did the Pats pick 9/1 to give themselves 48hrs to nail down a trade with another team before the roster cut down is imposed? Are the Pats at this very moment not only talking to Seattle about Branch but to other teams so the Pats can be certain they will have a solid WR in here regardless of how the Branch situation is resolved? This scenario fits BB's "what's best for team" modus operandi. Suddenly adding a significant veteran WR to the squad would swing some leverage back to the Patriots and make Branch's extended absence more paletable for the fans (and of course the angry media). I bet it would also make Branch more likely to return to the team sooner than later if he senses that his playing time will not automatically be reinstated to him if he holds out until November.

The deadline was certainly made to give the Pats time to determine their next step whether it's working a trade or a contract for Deion that's palatable for both sides. It also gives them an oppurtunity to look at the early waiver wire. With what's available right now, I think we'll see Deion with the Pats.

Peter Warrick was cut yesterday by the Seahawks, would he be of any value anymore? He had a fine year in 2003.

He was cut by a team reaching for help at wide receiver. That fact alone tells me he's not worth it...

john clayton was just saying that he wouldnt be surprised if the jets traded coles today.

i will take him and a 3rd for branch

DSal said:
He was cut by a team reaching for help at wide receiver. That fact alone tells me he's not worth it...
But didnt the Patriots try and acquire him when he was cut by the Bengals?

I believe they tried and lost.

bradybunch said:
john clayton was just saying that he wouldnt be surprised if the jets traded coles today.

i will take him and a 3rd for branch
If we get Coles thats one thing but i will be furious with just a 3rd. I want if not a first, then a 2nd and a future 1st or a second and a conditinal second.

Well if the Seahawks are willing to give up a 1st for Branch and also will pay out enough to suit him I can see the Pats then turning around and offering a 2nd round pick to the Jets for Coles. Net gain Pats :) That's the kind of math I'd like to see happening. Although I wasn't aware that Coles was on the trading block...

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:
If we get Coles thats one thing but i will be furious with just a 3rd. I want if not a first, then a 2nd and a future 1st or a second and a conditinal second.
Yeah, a 3rd just does'nt quite do it for me. The jets's 2nd might be pretty nice though.

See, I told ya so! I am so wicked smart, maybe Chayut could use some help!:D :D

Brady'sButtBoy said:
See, I told ya so! I am so wicked smart, maybe Chayut could use some help!:D :D

Want a cookie? I've been handing them out all day today :)

After the addition of Gabriel today. I feel pretty good about getting a 2nd from the Jet's or a 1st from Seattle.

Patriot Missile said:
After the addition of Gabriel today. I feel pretty good about getting a 2nd from the Jet's or a 1st from Seattle.

I wouldn't. A second only and it helps a division rival? You on drugs (and can I buy some too?). The Jets would be a #1 AND a solid player at a minimum. The #2 could be argued from Seattle, however, I wouldn't. A solid player and a #3 is a minimum from Seattle or anyone outside of our division. For the Jets, their best WR and a 3rd pick. I don't want DB on the Jets.

Since others have turned this into a trade Branch thread, I'll add my two cents: BB and Pioli now are going let Branch rot unless someone throws them an awesome trade. They're putting it in Chayut's face - you want to F' with us buddy? OK, well, minus the fines and missed paychecks while Deion sits out, ya know what your percentage will be this year? Try negative 5%!!! You chump, we're going out to win a SB, not polish your new chrome wheels. BOZO!

Last edited:
TheBostonStraggler said:
I wouldn't. A second only and it helps a division rival? You on drugs (and can I buy some too?). The Jets would be a #1 AND a solid player at a minimum. The #2 could be argued from Seattle, however, I wouldn't. A solid player and a #3 is a minimum from Seattle or anyone outside of our division. For the Jets, their best WR and a 3rd pick. I don't want DB on the Jets.

I'de still want at least a 1st,but have to remember a 2nd from the jets,should be a much higher pick than a 2nd from the seahawks:D

HAMMERMILL said:
I'de still want at least a 1st,but have to remember a 2nd from the jets,should be a much higher pick than a 2nd from the seahawks:D

But the Jets we play twice this season. Hate DB or not (I'm getting there myself), he helps the Jets. I think losing a #2 is still clearly a net gain for them. I'd rather let DB rot in suspended animation than help the Jets.

Jets have 2 second rounders dont they? Take both and a player! muaha

NEM said:
Right now, with the addition of Gabriel, I would trade, straight up, Branch for Coles. Its time to unload the POS. And I hope that Chayut chokes on his commission.
as one person said....are you on drugs? one is in their prime and the other is on the decline.

what is gabriel turns into daivd terrell?

i let branch watch the games at home and don't even talk to him until he wants to make a counteroffer. i let hime come back week 10 and i have a player for free. then i franchise him next year and possibly make a trade before the draft to an nfc team if it's a great deal. if not branch comes back for another year.

NEM said:
Right now, with the addition of Gabriel, I would trade, straight up, Branch for Coles. Its time to unload the POS. And I hope that Chayut chokes on his commission.

You just simply don't do it. Branch is or will be worth a #1 to someone outside of our division. Why give him up for less than what we should get and help a division rival? Think about it. We could still get a #2 for next year's draft by franchising him at season'e end, and then trading him. DB is out on a limb as thin as dental floss the more I think about it. The only way out for him is that this NFLPA fiasco, that he will lose, spurs an NFL headed negotiation for his trade. I would bet my mortgage that if that happens, we get a #1 and maybe a lower round pick or a #2 & a solid player.

Future ramifications! We trade him quick and for less than value? We show others that if they want out of their contracts, they just need to hold out and cause a stir. Further, if we still have DB come week 6 and some contending team becomes desparate for a WR, because injury pops up, we may have that team over a barrel. We potentially improve our return by taking their proverbial shirt (and making them look like saps). And we have sent a message about pulling a Branch in the future. Again, worst case scenario is franchise him and trade him before this April's draft. We can't lose in that respect.

(DB's 2006 salary = about negative $700K if he reports at week 10. )

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes