PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Moss Left Out of Gameplan On Purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Randy Moss for taking a significant chunk of the Jags secondary out of the game and giving Brady and the other receivers the opportunity to be as productive as they were.
And it's as simple as that. No exotic game plan other than to watch Brady go through his progression, and there were many plays when he got to number 2 or number 3 and let it fly. If Moss wasn't open, someone else was. But the beauty of it all was that during most plays Moss had some friends in different uniforms that followed him everywhere.

Good to hear from you, mate!

I think so.

Even the commentators were curious if they were trying to set up a deep bomb to Moss later in the game. I personally think they had an excellent strategy and executed well, I thought guys were blocking really well and my heart almost stopped when I saw Brady throwing a block. Please be careful Tom.

I think, if Indy wins, that in a way that will be THE Super Bowl. That will be when every single little thing hidden in the playbook is fair game. No disrespect to Jags, I honestly felt that the game was pretty much in hand, we were so productive offensively even with Jacksonville going on some long time consuming drives. It was unfortunate missing a 35yd field goal.

I think we're going to see EVERYTHING next week if Indy wins, the absolute full force of our offense, I think we did everything needed to beat Jacksonville, but I think we'll have to do even more to defeat the Colts should it work out that way. I don't think anything will be 'saved' for the SB.

NOPE. Jax just took him away and Brady was patient and took advantage of the holes it opened up for him. There is NO WAY that BB would gameplan to NOT have Moss involved. That's ludicrous.

And it's as simple as that. No exotic game plan other than to watch Brady go through his progression, and there were many plays when he got to number 2 or number 3 and let it fly. If Moss wasn't open, someone else was. But the beauty of it all was that during most plays Moss had some friends in different uniforms that followed him everywhere.

Good to hear from you, mate!
Hey ClevTrev - how's it going ? Fun.

Moss was working his behind off out there, making sure to lure that safety over every play.

I think it evolved during the game from being "They're doubling on Moss" to being "If we can keep them doubling on Moss, we can get Wes open short".

The true strength of the Pats offence: options, options, options.

Moss was working his behind off out there, making sure to lure that safety over every play.

I think it evolved during the game from being "They're doubling on Moss" to being "If we can keep them doubling on Moss, we can get Wes open short".

The true strength of the Pats offence: options, options, options.

They don't leave an all-world receiver out of the game plan, but they aren't stupid enough to force the ball when checkdowns reveal wide-open Welker or Stallworth or Gaffney or Watson or Faulk.

It's really that simple: He was covered and the Pats had decided to focus on the open man.

I think so.

Depends what you mean be "left out".

Since he played most of the offensive snaps ... I wouldn't say he was left out
the game plan. In fact he was a big part of it.

Just because JAGs decided to double and triple team him doesn't mean he
wasn't part of the game plan.
Tom made them pay for that.
Any time a WR is such a threat that he draws 2 and 3 defenders I can't see
how that WR would not be a big part of the game plan. :confused:

Tell me people don't seriously think that because Moss only got one ball thrown to him that he "wasn't part of the gameplan"!!!!! He was a HUGE part of the gameplan! Moss has doubled the amount of space Brady has to throw in. Not to mention the great blocking he did last night! BB plays a game of percentages, with out fail, unless the score is so uneven that he'll let loose. Last night was a clinic in high percentage plays, and deliberate, mistake-free football. Too bad if it didn't entertain those who only appreciate the flash! NOT!

The Jags aren't built to come from behind. They needed to go ahead, then runs and short pass and control.

An interception would have been away to make a big play, so we didn't force anything.

We forced passes to Moss in meaningless games up by 4 touchdowns while many here went nuts, to guarantee the Moss overplay so Brady could go 26 of 28 without making any risky passes.

I wonder if anyone here predicted he was trying to set teams up that way...:rolleyes:

Was Moss Left Out of Gameplan On Purpose
I think so.

To avoid sounding overly simplistic and to repeat what Moss himself said, the Jaguars doubled and tripled him, leaving other receivers and backs open, so TB took advantage of it... Romeo Crennel said it best after the Browns game," you pick your poison". :ast night the Jags decided that Randy Moss wouldn't beat them ( and he didn't) but it left everyone else open. They also decided not to blitz and we saw how that worked out.......

Brady went with what the defense was giving him, and it worked 93% of the time. :cool:

Actually it worked 100% of the time, the other 2 were dropped. ;)

It seems like there are several posters new to football. When a guy is doubled/tripled, that opens up some other guys, as we saw last night.

The same can be said of Stallworth's "low production" this year. he has been very productive running DB's off back so others can get open under the coverage.

I don't think that Moss was purposely ignored, but there was once or twice in the red zone where it looked (to me) like he was single-covered, and I was surprised Brady didn't try to lob it up there for him to make a play on. I found that curious, but I don't pretend to be an expert analyzer.

I was thoroughly impressed with Moss's play and the Pats use of him all night.

He kept at least 2 defenders occupied most of the night.
He blocked extremely well up field, helping to spring some big plays.
He kept doing exactly what was needed, and most likely asked of him, which allowed others to come up big, notably Stallworth and Watson.

It seems like there are several posters new to football. When a guy is doubled/tripled, that opens up some other guys, as we saw last night.

As we've long since established, double coverage, especially from a weak secondary, is no barrier to Moss. Brady could have made "safe" throws to him if he chose to. He chose not to.

This is about looks and not tipping your hand. Show something one week, then entirely different the next. Moss blocked and was a decoy all this game? Next game will be "Cool, they won't force to Moss if he's double covered, so let's... WTF!? THEY THREW TO MOSS IN DOUBLE COVERAGE!"

The same can be said of Stallworth's "low production" this year. he has been very productive running DB's off back so others can get open under the coverage.

No, it can't. People were screaming the whole year about how "Stallworth was WIDE OPEN on that play Brady, OMG!!!!!!" Stallworth was ignored. Intentionally.

Seriously, you people act like you haven't seen 16 games this year where Moss was regularly making catches in double coverage. You also act as if a huge majority of you weren't whining the entire time about Stallworth being ignored all season, or whining about Moss getting balls in double and triple coverage when others were open.

revenge, sweet revenge

just one week away

As we've long since established, double coverage, especially from a weak secondary, is no barrier to Moss. Brady could have made "safe" throws to him if he chose to. He chose not to.

This is about looks and not tipping your hand. Show something one week, then entirely different the next. Moss blocked and was a decoy all this game? Next game will be "Cool, they won't force to Moss if he's double covered, so let's... WTF!? THEY THREW TO MOSS IN DOUBLE COVERAGE!"

No, it can't. People were screaming the whole year about how "Stallworth was WIDE OPEN on that play Brady, OMG!!!!!!" Stallworth was ignored. Intentionally.

Seriously, you people act like you haven't seen 16 games this year where Moss was regularly making catches in double coverage. You also act as if a huge majority of you weren't whining the entire time about Stallworth being ignored all season, or whining about Moss getting balls in double and triple coverage when others were open.

I guess great football minds see things that others don't.

'they might have stopped one of us but they had a hard time with the other 10" -- Randy Moss

enough said

Pats Nut, I'm 42 years old, I assure you I am not new blood into the football pool. Let me clarify my post some, I tried to leave my post open to attract discussion on both sides of the coin, where people may have seen things differently.

Moss was getting double covered for most of the year, especially after he proved he was still a threat, he didn't just magically turn it on later in the year, when you break a record for TD receptions in a season, I think it's clear you're not in single coverage all season long. So let's agree that, despite the "they were playing vanilla and chasing records" argument, that Moss HAS in fact proved he can exploit even double, and sometimes triple coverage.

Moving beyond that, I do believe another poster said it best. If the Colts try to change their defensive assignments based on tonights game, Moss will burn them. If they do cover him well, Brady will take the underneath stuff. I think there was a specific gameplan to take the underneath stuff tonight, I honestly do. You can say that the coverage on moss was so OUTSTANDING that Brady decided to avoid him most the night, but Moss understands more about double coverage than any player in the game, Tom said it himself. The Jaguars secondary is not the best Moss has ever seen, but however, what Tom had been doing was working so well there was no reason to change it. When you've got two incomplete passes and are moving the chains constantly, why change if you don't have to?

That being said, Moss will undoubtedly be covered well next week, but when you're the most talented receiver in the game, you can exploit two defenders. The Colts will try to contain the underneath stuff, they'll try doing what Jacksonville clearly couldn't do, the Colts have a better secondary than Jacksonville does but still we will see Moss catch at least one TD and exploit some double coverage.

Last edited:
I agree with you totally. Moss was working double coverage all the time, long before the last couple weeks where the record argument came into play. Moss was a designed decoy, that's not saying he was defended so unbelievably well that there's no way he could possibly get open. He served his purpose 1000% well, no complaints from me whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes