PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was BB taking notes during Jersey vs. Dolphins tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The Dolphins offense looked spectacular against one of the league's best, most aggressive and exotic defenses. How? By reducing New Jersey to a READ AND REACT defense back on its heels because THE DEFENDERS DIDN'T KNOW WHERE THE BALL WAS GOING!

The Patriots are conventional and predictable on both sides of the ball and expect it to succeed via average to good talent and flawless execution. When execution lacks precision, predictability kills them. The Patriots need a dose of unconventionality on offense and defense. The question is, do they have the horses to make it happen? Probably not this year.

I'm waiting to see BB's reputation as an innovator write its next chapter.

Last edited:
I hope he now realizes you can actually screen vs the jets. He needs to stop out thinking himself to a point where it has a negative effect on the team.

I dont see the Pats ever running a wildcat offense, but I would like to see them be a little more creative with the play calling. More screens, maybe taking some more chances down the field, possibly throw in a reverse here and there. We need to be less predictable.

Of course he was. And he and TFB will be at Gillette in 4 1/2 hours planning for the Titans.

somtimes its the personnel. you can copy all you want but if you dont have the people to run it then its waste. even drew brees and the saints struggled with the jets d.

the OP makes an incredibly good point....

the jets defense isnt only based on, but RELIES on its aggresiveness

if that is taken away, they are not a good defense....

the jets D thrives on its atacking nature.....now go and make them have to first SEE waht to atk, and then have to do it, their effectiveness is wittled down to nothing

if the jets defense cant atk the ball right away, they have many weaknesses, and the wildcat makes them have to wait until they figure out where the ball is b4 they can atk....

i dont know how we can do that, but if we cant find any other way other then the wildcat, we should seriously start practicing for it....

we do have edelman....and who knows, maybe the wildcat is what the doctor ordered for Maroney

the OP makes an incredibly good point....

the jets defense isnt only based on, but RELIES on its aggresiveness

if that is taken away, they are not a good defense....

the jets D thrives on its atacking nature.....now go and make them have to first SEE waht to atk, and then have to do it, their effectiveness is wittled down to nothing

if the jets defense cant atk the ball right away, they have many weaknesses, and the wildcat makes them have to wait until they figure out where the ball is b4 they can atk....

i dont know how we can do that, but if we cant find any other way other then the wildcat, we should seriously start practicing for it....

we do have edelman....and who knows, maybe the wildcat is what the doctor ordered for Maroney

the same wildcat failed last yr when they played the ravens. every team has an identity and its own plan to beat the opposing defense. miami's clear strength is the wildcat. the pats also had a plan when the played the jets.it just didnt work and they missed converting in the RZ too.
about BB taking notes..iam sure he has seen enough in the past to know what the jets defense is doing . its not the newest invention in football. he just cant copy what the fins do and employ on the pats.
another thing about rex ryan defenses. they are always good statistcally but most of the time crumble and give up a gave winning drive. they did this in balt with cincy/pitt and even the pats doing it. we saw how the ravens crumbled yesterday.these defenses become over aggressive and lose it when under pressure.iam sick of tv shows showing lineman moving around like a revelation.pats used to do that a lot when they had their best LBers.

I think it showed that whilst other offenses look exciting, creative and use all their big guys, ours is pedestrian, utterly reliant on 1 WR (welker), doesnt use its big gun (Moss) and isnt using the RB's as receievers

Those performances by two rookies also highlight just how poor Brady has been so far this year

I think it showed that whilst other offenses look exciting, creative and use all their big guys, ours is pedestrian, utterly reliant on 1 WR (welker), doesnt use its big gun (Moss) and isnt using the RB's as receievers

Those performances by two rookies also highlight just how poor Brady has been so far this year

yes....the fact about brady is sad but true...if this team is to go anywhere this year, he has to get it together

I don't know if he was taking notes or not, but I have now watched the Saints and Dolphins beat the Jets and can't help but think that the Patriots could have easily done the same thing. In fact, they really outplayed the Jets enough to win that game (in the first half anyway). Whatever.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree: I couldn't agree more, especially the part about Brady. I can't believe I've come to this point, but I'm more dissatisfied with him than any other aspect of the Patriots right now.

Last edited:
All I know is the pats O looks unimaginative and stale, not to mention it isn't scaring anyone with Brady jumping out of the boat and missing the water.

We used to have LESS talent than we do now, but Charlie always had wrinkles and stuff to get points on the board..with a bunch of nobodies and a QB that wasn't such a big shot...I remember us doing OK.

And Edelman is one year removed from playing QUARTERBACK in college. Seems like that could be one piece of the puzzle. But any version of an option offense, for practical purposes, takes Brady off the field. Yet with Brady in there as your primary weapon, a conventional drop-back passing offense will forever be prey to a Tubby Wrecks-style attacking defense unless the execution is flawless. That puts tremendous pressure on the QB and wide receivers. I hate to say it, but it might be time for Brady to split reps with an option system of some type just like Henne did last night.

And Edelman is one year removed from playing QUARTERBACK in college. Seems like that could be one piece of the puzzle. But any version of an option offense, for practical purposes, takes Brady off the field. Yet with Brady in there as your primary weapon, a conventional drop-back passing offense will forever be prey to a Tubby Wrecks-style attacking defense unless the execution is flawless. That puts tremendous pressure on the QB and wide receivers. I hate to say it, but it might be time for Brady to split reps with an option system of some type just like Henne did last night.

I've been saying it all week that we need a full back. We don't need any wildcat formation and there is no need to take Brady out, but if you have a full back to open holes for a running back it keeps the defense off as you have an option there thats not just a RB trying to find a hole on his own. Brady will thrive in that situation where he hands off a few times and the gaps start to appear downfield.

I felt the Dolphins used the Jets' agressiveness against them. The Dolphins forced the Jets defenders to overpursue in the backfiled on running plays and screens.

I am convinced after last night that the loss of Welker in the first Jets/Pats match up was huge.

BTW, eventhough the Dolphins used a lot of Wildcat, their offense wasn't particularly deceptive. I personally knew what was coming most of the time.

I think we are not done hearing from the dolphins, the Pats always have trouble except 07, with Miami... I think Miami might have found a QB....

I hope that whoever is calling plays for the Pats took note that good things happen when you send a speedy receiver downfield and actually throw him the ball in the vicinity where he can catch it.

I hope that whoever is calling plays for the Pats took note that good things happen when you send a speedy receiver downfield and actually throw him the ball in the vicinity where he can catch it.
And it doesn't have to be that complicated : "Run as fast as you can straight down the field". I love Bill and Tommy but sometimes they seem like high school girls with the way they get pissy with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back