PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was BB Prophetic?? Randy Moss 1 catch 13 yards..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's too much of a surprise that Moss is struggling in a poor passing offense. I also wonder how much the return of Kenny Britt will help Moss. Time will tell.

When we start wondering how Britt's return will help Moss is pretty much when we are all kind of saying that his skills and/or passion have declined to the extent that he's not an elite WR anymore.

Last edited:
I would add that it's probably quite difficult for Moss to adjust to so many different systems and playbooks in one season. Who knows if he's even running the right routes half the time? And if that's so, then no wonder the QB isn't even targeting him.

He's definitely lost a step, but he's still a decent receiver. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up some better games as he gets more comfortable with the playbook, and on a one-year "prove it" deal next year where he gets a full training camp with a team, might show he still has a bit left in the tank.

When we first got rid of him most people thought we made a huge mistake and the Vikings got quite a bargain. They were supposed to "Light up our secondary" back in October. It's easy for you to say that it's remarkable we got a 3rd round pick for him now after he looks like crap, but you can't act like you knew he was trash all along.
You clearly didnt read what I was saying then,

As some people have noted the QB situation in Tennessee is not helping the cause. If he was playing for a decent QB he would definitely have better numbers.

As for people saying his he toast and has nothing left, he definitely does. He still is a deep threat, remember the catch in the Jets game vs. Revis? I still think all Moss wants is a championship and I think he realizes that his time is running out. He is going to want to play for a contender and I think have a complete attitude change where he is going to put the team first as long as it means him winning. I would not be surprised if Moss is a Patriot in 2011.
One catch in a season is not a good argument

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure many people on this forum were flipping right after it happened. At the very least, most of us on this forum were very surprised and didn't see it as a positive thing.

Speak for yourself... Some of us were mocked for calling for just such a time to move on decision after the 2009 season...

Moss own inability to perform consistently and beat coverage and make difficult catches at least half of the time coupled with his relative uselessness as a blocker not to mention his lack of mental toughness and self absorbed mentality all adds up to his no longer being a fit here, if he ever truly was. Bill pulled off the trade of the decade in 2007. It almost resulted in another ring. Almost only counts in horseshoes. He dodged a bullitt on the extension getting just enough out of him in 2008 to keep the ship afloat absent Brady and during Brady's comeback season. Now we're back to running the scheme the way it was intended and the way we won 3 rings. No stars beyond Brady, just a bunch of self motivated football players willing to do whatever it takes to win week to week.

Randy will probably play a couple of more seasons on the TO plan... Your guess is as good as any at this point who takes the bait hoping to catch lightening in a bottle, but it won't be Bill. Been there, done that, survived virtually unscathed to tell the tale and moving on.

What I do not comprehend, that this guy is suppposedly playing for his next contract.. why, by all reports, is he screwing the pooch?? What he is doing makes no sense to this viewer.

Is he expecting a legacy award for past good deeds??? He whined and bytched about an extension here, and now that he has a blank slate he is doing nothing.. at least try, or look like you are trying.

Is he still drawing safety help? I haven't watched any of his games w/ the Titans.

Maybe there was more to the picture than meets the eye, but Moss has done nothing since he left the friendly confines of Gillette...

This week, he does poorly once again.. Kerry Collins is no Tom Brady, but 1 catch is just about making the box score. Wonder if the press are watching to see if he is "dogging it"??

Wonder if he will rant, rave and ramble if he has the opportunity for a press conference????

Randy Moss has lost a *ton* of money this season (in terms of his value). If the Pats could sign him for 2012 (assuming no lockout) for $1 million, would you do it? I think the good thing about such a low salary would be (a) it wouldn't prevent them from making other moves, and (b) it would tell Randy that he's not "the man", which means no whining about a lack of passes, etc. The guy is still extremely talented.

Just curious what you guys think about that.

I am a big Randy fan. There aren't many guys that will make me get off the couch just because a ball in the air is going in his direction.

That being said, I agreed with the Patriots moving on without him at the time, as my frustration with the number of 'lost plays' grew each time Tom would throw into double coverage on 2nd and 10. I strongly believe that this football team is better without him. For all of his talent, he still takes up a spot on the field that could go to someone who can run more than 3 routes well and catch the ball more than half the time.

I honestly didn't expect Randy to falter like this, though. I can't feel bad for him, because he's made more money this year than I'll make in a decade, but I do feel something similar to 'bad for him', even if this problem is mostly his own creation.

And he looks really terrible in a Titans uniform.

Last edited:
Randy Moss has lost a *ton* of money this season (in terms of his value). If the Pats could sign him for 2012 (assuming no lockout) for $1 million, would you do it? I think the good thing about such a low salary would be (a) it wouldn't prevent them from making other moves, and (b) it would tell Randy that he's not "the man", which means no whining about a lack of passes, etc. The guy is still extremely talented.

I think that Randy will pull a Marvin Harrison and play for nobody if the only offers out there are like that. The dude has too much pride and would sulk anyway if he knuckled under and took a contract like that. Personally I do not want him back in a Patriots uniform AT ANY PRICE.

One catch in a season is not a good argument

He had others in NE. 35 yarder vs. the Bills. The break away speed is still there, just when he wants to use it. He still has one of the best hands in the game. The guy can still play, except he only shows it when he wants to. If he is on the right team with the right situation and the right attitude in 2011 Moss will prove a lot of people wrong

Maybe there was more to the picture than meets the eye, but Moss has done nothing since he left the friendly confines of Gillette...

This week, he does poorly once again.. Kerry Collins is no Tom Brady, but 1 catch is just about making the box score. Wonder if the press are watching to see if he is "dogging it"??

Wonder if he will rant, rave and ramble if he has the opportunity for a press conference????

He wasn't doing too much here before - 0 catches thrown over 20 yards in all his games here

Either that was by design or Moss didn't have the ability to get open deep anymore

My guess was it was a bit of both, and that Belichick was hoping that Hernandez or another WR could be a good enough deep threat to keep defenses honest

Thus far I'd say Belichick was correct - teams know the Pats aren't as dangerous deep as they were in 2007 - 2009, and thus can collapse their D, but there's so many quick receiver options that they don't want to collapse too much or they'll be burned with a big YAC play.

Will the fact that a TE is our defacto deep threat WR hurt us down the stretch? That remains to be seen... the competition is only getting tougher at the end of this season and the playoffs, but if the 2001 team can win a Super Bowl so can this one.

Last edited:

Moss presence here eventually led to contenders formulating varying blueprints to stop Brady to Moss. Some revolved around coverage, some around pass rush pressure and some attempted to combine both. The JETS being one. Bill finally realized that with his competition dug in and committed personnel wise it was time for him to retreat and regroup like a wise general and take a different strategic tack those competitors are not nearly as well prepared to counter. He ain't going to revisit failed strategies that allowed Tom Coughlin's DC to bullrush the most prolific offense in history out of a ring or Tubby Wrecks to contain his offense on Revis Island... He's returned to his roots, guerilla warfare where all his weapons are versatile, football cameleons who can adapt to focus on whatever strategic opposition they face week to week.

The NFL battlefield is littered with talent whose presence never impacted (and in some cases actually impeded) a championship season. As our old pal Scott Pioli was rond of saying, teambuilding and not talent collection wins championships. Which is why fantasy football is such a misleading passtime.

Last edited:
He had others in NE. 35 yarder vs. the Bills. The break away speed is still there, just when he wants to use it. He still has one of the best hands in the game. The guy can still play, except he only shows it when he wants to. If he is on the right team with the right situation and the right attitude in 2011 Moss will prove a lot of people wrong
If he wasnt in the right situation with the right attitude in NE OR Minn OR Tenn, and the result is terrible, terrible production, which you imply is because he doesnt care and wont try, why would anyone expect any more?

If he wasnt in the right situation with the right attitude in NE OR Minn OR Tenn, and the result is terrible, terrible production, which you imply is because he doesnt care and wont try, why would anyone expect any more?

I think this pretty much says it. If he messed up in NE, exactly where would he succeed?

I thougth the Moss trade was good...Moss couldn't get open deep and Brady was often throwing into double coverage...it was an automatic waste of a play if not an interception. Plus Moss seemed to be coming mentally unglued. Mad about not getting a contract extension...at 34 or whatever he'll be?

Ball control and making the offense unpredictable was key I said. Running different plays out of the same formation...last year they'd line up Maroney behind brady and there was about a 90% chance it was Maroney off tackle. It was pathetic how predictable it was.

They are taking my advice exactly! 2 TEs, play action galore where Brady is deadly.

What are the chances Randy gets released yet again once Kenny Britt returns?

Seeing Randy like this is sad. Loved him when he was a patriot.

However, this is all his doing. His play has been terrible and from what everyone has said, he only runs certain routes.

Randy's days are done. ):

I've been a Moss follower since his Marshall days. Some of the things he's done on the field I've never seen before. I can't think of a more dangerous player than Moss was in his prime.

That said, his bull**** was always tolerated because of his talent. Now that he has lost a step (I don't care what anyone says, he is NOT the Moss from 2007 or the one that played 10 years ago in Minny) he gets disgruntled that balls aren't thrown into double-coverage for him.

I wouldn't take this guy on the Pats for free. The Pats success without him has told me all I need to know.

The part that frustrates me is if he had half of Rice's ethic there would be no other receiver mentioned in the same breath as him. Maybe no other player period. A young team like the Pats needs guys like Brady and Welker who leave it all out there every single play to set the tone.

Anyone who thought this team would be 9-2 heading into tonight is much smarter than me.

Did you listen to his PC after the Vikings played the Pats? I think he realizes how special NE is and if he was given the opportunity to play in NE again things would be different and he would appreciate what he has, thus a new attitude and his performance on the field would be what it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes