PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was 2-3 In November unexpected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We came into November to face 5 teams in playoff contention in consecutive weeks. We discussed our projected final record here before November started. Some put on the homer hats and predicted 13-3 or 12-4. Some doom and gloomers predicted 8-8 or 9-7. Most of us predicted 10-6 or 11-5 and a possible playoff berth. And then, anything would be possible (as in 2001).
==================================
In November, we went 2-3 against the colts, bills, jets, fins and steelers. Add the earlier 2-1 against the fins, jets and broncos. We are 4-4 against the real teams that we have played. Should we have expected more?

Against the teams that we should definitely beat, we have been 3-1 so, losing only to the chargers.

We are 0-3 against last years division winners.
====================================
BOTTOM LINE
We are not a top echelon team this year without Brady. We would be such a team with Brady. For me, it really is that simple.
====================================
IS IT STILL REASONABLE TO CONSIDER 11-5 and 10-6?
Certainly! We SHOULD beat the raiders and hawks given what is at stake for us, and given how bad they are. We would then be 9-5 looking at playoff possibilities more clearly, and more seriously.

We will then face the cards and the bills. If we win both, we will likely be in the playoffs at 11-5, or be one of the only teams to miss at 11-5 in many years. At 10-6, we are likely to be out, but there are unlikely wild card scenarios where we are in.

The team has given us a very good year. I want the Super Bowl. We all do. HOWEVER, right now, I want to us pass the gut-check and win the next two very winnable games. We were in this situation against Miami. We passed the test. We'll see where we are in two weeks.

The next two games need to be won by large margins. The Dolphins and Jets seem to play down to opponents. If we escape that trap, it will certainly set a better tone for two tougher (but closer to home) games.

Last edited:
Nothing is "unexpected" this year aside from a playoff bye. I figured November would define the '08 Pats. 4-1 would be SB-worthy, 3-2 playoff-worthy, 2-3 on-the-fence, 1-4 prepare for the draft. We are on the fence, don't know where we go from here. We should win at least 3 more but we would need a LOT of help to get into the playoffs.

"Unexpected?" Yep, sure is by what I expected based on what the individual players and coaches are capable of producing. Simply put, New England was in every game until they shot themselves in the foot. None of these "playoff" teams dominated the Pats unless the Pats own miscues set themselves up for failure. It is was not unreasonable to expect them to run the table given the kind of performances we have seen from them this season, let alone year's past. I'm sure they are frustrated with themselves and doubly so after watching the tape, I honestly don't know who, if anyone, is going to wake them up and get them focused for a final attempt at a playoff drive - there's only one rematch and it doesn't have the intensity which has sometimes shown through this season. Yes there have been key injuries, but the biggest letdown hasn't come from an outclassed or inexperienced reserve, it's come from players mentally dropping out of the game - too often in crunch time.

No, It was not.

What was unexpected is the Jets performance.

Let's hope yesterday's sorry ass showing from them continues.

I might disagree on the Miami game in week three, but otherwise, those losses really did seem like us beating us.

Last night was no exception. My nervousness turned to confidence through the first quarter. But then away we went, dropping passes, muffing kicks, turnovers. The missed field-goal felt like the de-flater, to me.

Still, looking back, the defense DID improve and tried to keep us in it.
I'm not sure what helped them, but if it's an upward trend, that's encouraging.

"Unexpected?" Yep, sure is by what I expected based on what the individual players and coaches are capable of producing. Simply put, New England was in every game until they shot themselves in the foot. None of these "playoff" teams dominated the Pats unless the Pats own miscues set themselves up for failure. It is was not unreasonable to expect them to run the table given the kind of performances we have seen from them this season, let alone year's past. I'm sure they are frustrated with themselves and doubly so after watching the tape, I honestly don't know who, if anyone, is going to wake them up and get them focused for a final attempt at a playoff drive - there's only one rematch and it doesn't have the intensity which has sometimes shown through this season. Yes there have been key injuries, but the biggest letdown hasn't come from an outclassed or inexperienced reserve, it's come from players mentally dropping out of the game - too often in crunch time.

Last edited:
I might disagree on the Miami game in week three, but otherwise, those losses really did seem like us beating us.

Last night was no exception. My nervousness turned to confidence through the first quarter. But then away we went, dropping passes, muffing kicks, turnovers. The missed field-goal felt like the de-flater, to me.

Still, looking back, the defense DID improve and tried to keep us in it.
I'm not sure what helped them, but if it's an upward trend, that's encouraging.
Heh, leave week three out of this, we're in November now. :snob:

Hehe, I see. We're playing it troll style... :D
Bite your tongue and reread the subject line - if you need help with translation into the Queen's version of the lingo, just raise a holler. :p

Bite your tongue and reread the subject line - if you need help with translation into the Queen's version of the lingo, just raise a holler. :p

Ah... my bad. I'll go stick my hand in a Rat Trap. ;)

Last edited:
When Brady first wen't down i was expecting 4-12, i don't think i was the only one either, have we got greedy with Cassel performing well of late?

2 and 3 in November to me was unexpected. We were in all the games, and could have been 5-0. Yes even yesterday. All the games turned on Pat's mistakes and miscues, not the other team beating the Pats. Yes, even yesterday. I thought the dropped passes and missed FG at the end of the half was very deflating. And then to come out flat in the 2nd half, very disappointing. It appeared that the game turned on those 2 series. The Pats started slipping and sliding down hill, and it just got worse, kinda like "quicksand" in the movie, the Replacements.

No, It was not.

What was unexpected is the Jets performance.

:agree: Once Brady went down I had NO idea what to expect from our own team but I never in a million years expected serious contention from the Jets,Lord Favre or not.

Miami made me nervous the second they got Parcells. That said,I didn't expect them to be tied with us.

the AFC east is the best division in football

and we, w/ all the injuries, are in contention to win the div title...and defenetely in the running for the playoffs

we have done good this yr, just not was usually is good for the pats

the AFC east is the best division in football

and we, w/ all the injuries, are in contention to win the div title...and defenetely in the running for the playoffs

we have done good this yr, just not was usually is good for the pats

I can't say that the AFC East is stronger than the NFC East or NFC South.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes