PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Warren Sapp announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sapp is the epitome of a self promoter and lack of sportsmanship. From his look at me attitude from day one in the NFL, to his cheap shot on the Packer's Chad Clifton on a turnover in one of his last years with the Bucs, to refusing to sign autographs or even shake hands with fans of his team, and his not-even-close prophecy of breaking the sack record; Warren Sapp just shouted out what fans don't like about pro athletes - and the kind of player the Patriots avoid at all costs while developing a winning team.

It's easy to say this, but I think Sapp is one of the only players I would not want on the Pats or root for if he was on the team.

I did NOT feel like that about Moss or Dillon.

I didn't know he was even still playing. He's been more mouth than impact player for a long time.

Hall of fame a-hole maybe.

I still remember the story on EEI during the week leading up to SB38 (the week he ripped on Hochstein) of how he cursed out a WEEI producer for daring to walk up to him and ask him to come on the air for an interview... cursing out low level employees for doing their job... real class act.

There's been an occasional racist undertone to much of what Sapp has spewed publicly, and his denegration of Hochstein at SB 38 revealed him as a Class 1 a-hole. The guy has tried to make himself into a media personality, but he's really a pathetic jerk.

He's the Charles Barkley of the NFL, mediocre talent who says and does outrageous things. He's a lot like Barkley, neither one of them have a ring and they are bitter. Russ Hochstein got his and they can never take it away.
I recall a rumor about Sapp wanting to possibly come to the Patriots after his fallout in Tampa Bay. Some reporter had a quote or comment from Belichik that he didn't want him because Sapp was "undisciplined and was not bright enough to learn all the schemes." This would explain why the thug has such animosity towards the Patriots.

Anyway in 5 years nobody will remember his name.

Wait, wasn't he supposed to do it a few years ago itself when he made pathetic remarks about the blocking abilities of our OL right before the SB and had the audacity to declare that he will quit football if they do well??

Pompous moron IMO.

Yea, he said he'd retire if Hochstein made it to play in the SB. I wondered then why he didn't live up to his word and retire!:rolleyes: Schmuck!

Happy Retirement, Warren.

Russ Hochstein (and his soon to be 3 SB Rings) sends regards!

Sapp not only ran his mouth incessantly, he also severely injured and/or ended the career of one offensive lineman a few years ago. Sapp blind-sided the guy after there was a pick and the O-lineman was lumbering down the field not sure what to do. Sapp nailed him from the blind-side, right at the knee. The guy was carted off the field, and, not sure, but think he never played again.

When asked about it later, Sapp said: "This IS football, is it not?? The object is to tackle and block, is it not??"

A really low punk thing to do, and say.

//

He's the Charles Barkley of the NFL, mediocre talent who says and does outrageous things. He's a lot like Barkley, neither one of them have a ring and they are bitter. Russ Hochstein got his and they can never take it away.
I recall a rumor about Sapp wanting to possibly come to the Patriots after his fallout in Tampa Bay. Some reporter had a quote or comment from Belichik that he didn't want him because Sapp was "undisciplined and was not bright enough to learn all the schemes." This would explain why the thug has such animosity towards the Patriots.

Interesting tidbit.

I guess Belichick and I are both crazy then... :D

Add me to the "not a hall of famer" contingent. I expect him to get in but don't think he deserves it. The best thing you can do as a good football player is yap alot. You can become a hall of famer.

He's the Charles Barkley of the NFL, mediocre talent who says and does outrageous things.

That's a horrible comparison. They both talked too much, but Barkley was a great player. I just wish he wouldn't have jacked up so many 3s in Phoenix.

Sapp not only ran his mouth incessantly, he also severely injured and/or ended the career of one offensive lineman a few years ago. Sapp blind-sided the guy after there was a pick and the O-lineman was lumbering down the field not sure what to do. Sapp nailed him from the blind-side, right at the knee. The guy was carted off the field, and, not sure, but think he never played again.

When asked about it later, Sapp said: "This IS football, is it not?? The object is to tackle and block, is it not??"

A really low punk thing to do, and say.

//

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the lineman in question was Chad Clifton, and it was his hip; and he is still playing--in fact, the man has played in almost every game since he came back, so that story ended better than one would have thought at the time. You could say the same about Rice, although I felt that the injury took some of his ability away from him.

Warren got a ring in 2002.

I’m with the basic feeling here, probably a hall of famer, but a major douche.

Warren got a ring in 2002.

I’m with the basic feeling here, probably a hall of famer, but a major douche.

I'll still take the side of Hochstein's ring(s) over Sapp's (one) ring

Sapp on the NFLN commercial:
"Sometimes people axe me..."
We can only wish.

He really blew his wad in that one game this year... towards the end.

Jag's I think...

yeah that was the game where he got like 4 unsportsman like conduct penalties in 30 seconds, and then he finally got ejected.

Hall of fame a-hole maybe.

I still remember the story on EEI during the week leading up to SB38 (the week he ripped on Hochstein) of how he cursed out a WEEI producer for daring to walk up to him and ask him to come on the air for an interview... cursing out low level employees for doing their job... real class act.

This is actually the best news I've heard all day. I think he also said if the Pats win another SB (this was before the Philly SB) that he would retire.

Yeah, Sapp is a total douche bag. Whether or not he was a great player is of no consequence to my view on him. Tomlinson is a great player too, and he's also a huge douche bag.

Last edited:
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the lineman in question was Chad Clifton, and it was his hip; and he is still playing--in fact, the man has played in almost every game since he came back, so that story ended better than one would have thought at the time. You could say the same about Rice, although I felt that the injury took some of his ability away from him.

Well, good news, then. I missed that post and stand corrected, happily. Glad Clifton is back at his game. Wonder if he as any lingering? Anyway, most injuries do.

I still say Sapp did a punk thing to Clifton, and for that alone he doesn't deserve any Hall vote from me. His personal slam on Hochstein only solidifies it. Plus, he just runs his mouth way too much. Makes the League look like a bunch of thugs.

//

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back