Welcome to PatsFans.com

Warren Buffett, hypocrite

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Aug 29, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Well Buffett postures about paying more in taxes meanwhile his company isn't paying what they owe under the current rates. What a jerk.

8 years of unpaid taxes, whiles he lectures honest taxpayers on behalf of dems....:rolleyes:

Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway Owes Back Taxes | TheBlaze.com

2. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

[From 1917 until now we have had tax rates for the highest incomes groups up to 92% of their income. That rate was not for just a few years. In 1917 the tax rate was 67% for this group and it was still 70% in 1980. From 1950 to 1963 the tax rate was 91% (92% in 1952 and 1952). During the Reagan presidency the tax rate topped out at 69.13%. The top tax rate in 2010 was 35%. The lowest tax rate during the last 90 years was 24% in 1929, the year the Great Depression began. So why are people concerned that the wealthiest Americans are getting taxed too much when they are being taxed at the historic low that they are now?]

Wealth Redistribution? Wealthy Americans Are Taxed Less Now Than When Reagan Was President | Progress In Action
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

One can always count on some out of context garbage from agent 13. The only thing unusual here is that its taken this long.
  4. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Of course this does not take into account what deductions and 'loopholes' were part of the tax code.

If you were interested in the real story you would look at the % of taxes paid by people in the different quintiles ;). That would tell a different story.

Funny how the defenders of Lear Jet Libs consider the behavior of the fund run by the current hero having tax problems with underpayment to be out of context hilarious. :singing:
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

He doesn't run a fund, but I'm curious -- did you actually look at the annual report or did you just accept the Post's complaints at face value?

Don't worry, I'm not actually curious, because I know the answer.

By whining about this without actually delving into it, you're just showing yourself to be the hypocritical partisan we know you to be, not to mention again showing your utter lack of business acumen.

By the way, I know you think "Lear Jet Liberal" is clever, but again, Lear Jets really just aren't that hot (for those with resources, of course).
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -13

If you're trying to give the impression that people paid 92% of their income (for example) in taxes, your post is purposefully misleading. We've never had a tax rate of 92% of all income earned in this country. People were taxed in steps. They would pay "X%" on the first $1 million and then higher rates would kick in.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support higher tax rates on the mega-wealthy.
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

I recognize the fact that Berkshire Hathaway admits the IRS is going after them for unpaid taxes and that they cut a deal for a few years and are still negotiating with the IRS. Do you think they are lying to their shareholders about not paying their taxes?
  8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

Thanks for continuing to show both how little you understand about running a business and how little you care about facts when it comes to your narrow political ideology.

Large, complex corporations don't file EZ forms. As I know you're aware, the tax code is a bit complex -- but apparently that's lost on you now (conveniently).

Huge difference b/t the "IRS going after them" and "negotiating."

When you decide to look at what, exactly was said in the annual report, let us know. Until then, this is yet another non-issue trash thread you've started, just because a rich man left your beloved pubbies' plantation.

You've also conflated the issues of Buffett's personal taxes and the taxes of the public corporation he's the head of. But, again, that's no surprise -- only question is whether it's due to your confusion or if it was intentional out of partisanship.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

They didn't pay their "fair share", bottom line spin aside as you defend you Lear Jet Lib hero.

BTW why does he pay his accountants and tax attorney's their job is to comply with the law. You think Mr Buffet the person who feel the rich should pay would instruct his people to err on the side of caution to ensure he wasn't cheating the taxpayers, he also should have had his people pay what was due rather than trying to screw the taxpayers, by fighting the IRS in a negotiation.
  10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

False.

Keep pretending that you aren't aware of what's going on here. Your partisanship is plain as day.

And as you attack the wealthy man because he wandered off your pubbie plantation.

btw, your lear jet librul moniker remains stupid. Ask any wealthy republicans which jets they fly.

Why does he pay accountants and tax attorneys? What -- do you think he should be filing Berkshire Hathaway's taxes?

Keep showing your blind partisanship.

Nobody is being screwed, and nobody is being "cheated." If there were, it wouldn't be a negotiation, and you'd see criminal charges.

And keep conflating his personal returns with corporate. In the corporate world, a CEO has a responsibility to shareholders -- are you aware of that concept?

Spin, spin away, little dreidel.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 4 / -2

Buffet's a fraud. Plain and simple. Ask him if he hires the best CPA's to do his taxes, and if those CPA's take every break humanly possible. Of course he does.

Businesses may not file an EZ form, but if he's constantly complaining about paying "fair share", then why is he having problems with the IRS? Apparently his view of a "fair share" isn't the same as the IRS's. Also, doesn't Buffet include all his income when standing on his soapbox, talking about his percentage paid versus everyone elses? If so, then why shouldn't people lob all his tax problems into the same "tax me more" pot? For all intents and purposes, Buffett is a nice guy, but he screams of a "do as I say, not as I do" type on this issue.

BTW, 15% on capital gains is too low IMO.
  12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

You're smarter than this, RW

Let's talk personal versus corporate first.

On the personal side, does he take tax breaks? Probably. but why shouldn't he? There's a difference between thinking that people in his tax bracket should pay more and thinking that one person would arbitrarily donate his money to the government when nobody else is doing so.

Corporate: totally different story. No CEO, particularly of a public corporation, should be offering up more tax dollars than is required of the corporation. It's not the CEO's money, it's the shareholders' -- and the shareholders are where the CEO's primary responsibilities exist.

Finally, Berkshire Hathaway -- "tax problems"? are they being prosecuted? Is the IRS taking aggressive actions against them? As you and 13 both know, tax codes are convoluted. Individuals, let alone corporations, let alone large complex corporations with varying ownerships stakes in dozens (or more?) operating companies, are going to have legitimate disagreements with the IRS over tax treatments. Is there evidence this is anything but that?
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

When you donate to the party in power you don't get prosecuted you get to make a deal, probably for pennies on the dollar.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +363 / 4 / -2

I am smart enough to see through the BS is all. I don't disagree with anything you've said. Thing is, you're not the one standing on a soapbox, disengenuously discussing your tax percentage compared to your secretary's, demanding people like you pay more, when you infact either don't pay what the IRS is saying you should have (as the article states), or you take every break your high priced CPA can find. So "my being smarter than this" would only apply if I were speaking in general terms, and not to the specifics of one Warren Buffett. Lead by example Warren. Put your money where your mouth is. Don't tell people to do as you say, when you do what you do.
  15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

right, 13

Once again, we have one of the board's leading partisans putting his blind partisanship on display.

let us know when you actually look at the annual report rather than relying on a shallow article in the NY Post, that noted authority on business and taxation.
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

\

As opposed to your objective stance :singing:.

The facts are the facts and there is a partisan is seems unable to deal with the facts and is spinning for their favorite do as I say not as I do, Lear Jet Lib.
  17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

I'm not sure how you don't disagree with what I said if this is what you think.

Buffett would be a hypocrite if he cheated on his taxes. There's no evidence he cheats on his taxes.

Everything else is irrelevant.

He's under no obligation to donate money to the US government just because he thinks he should be taxed at higher rates. That's like saying anybody who supports any war is a hypocrite unless they go fight the war they support.

And as for Berkshire Hathaway, nobody here (myself included) has offered any information about the actual tax issues, and the bottom line is that Berkshire Hathaway is not Warren Buffett, and its money is not his to do with as he pleases.
  18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

yeah, my objective stance -- that you have offered zero facts, and that if this really was an issue, it started under your boy Bush, which kind of shoots your donation theory to hell.

When it's a pubbie, you will bend over backwards to support them. hell, you were blaming the terrorist attacks in Norway on the victims. You assume all videotapes are doctored if it shows pubbies in a negative light.

In short, your views are a joke. They'e indicative of part of what is wrong with America. You don't care about reality, you care only about your spin and your party.

Let us know when you look at the annual report, instead of relying on the New York post (was this page 6, by the way?)
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +363 / 4 / -2

I explained why I don't disagree with what you said, and why. If you disagree with my reasons for feeling as I do, then so be it. Warren wants people like himself to pay more, yet he hires people who's specific duty is to find ways for him to pay less. Legality has nothing to do with it. Like I said before, someone should ask Mr Buffet if he hires CPA's to lower his tax burden, and if so, why.
  20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

No, I just didn't understand what you were saying -- sounded like you were saying you didn't disagree with me while disagreeing with me (if that makes sense).