PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Warner hints at Super Bowl XXXVI cheating again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give Warner a pass. I'm sure that Super Bowl still devastates him the same way that last year's Super Bowl still devastates us. He and we both feel that in both cases the better team lost and we are both searching for excuses as to why this happened. In our case its officiating and in his case it's spygate.

Officiating?

I can't think of a bad call.

Maybe the Pierre Woods fumble recovery, but Belichick had the option of throwing a flag there, and he didn't. I wouldn't blame the refs for something they didn't see.

I suppose we could look at ourselves as being hypocrites too.

1.) If it were the Colts and not the Pats that were 'caught' illegaly stealing signals....I think we would all have a different reaction.

2.) After a 23-0 loss to the Dolphins in 2006, it came out that the Dolphins had a tape with audio of the Patriots offense. This allowed them to analyze all the audibles, etc. We were pretty outraged by this, but are we naive enough to consider that this is the first time this has happened in the NFL. Do we believe that Belicheck hasn't done this before (especially knowing what we know now about Spygate).

The point is, we didn't blame that loss on the Pats playing flat, we blamed it on the Dolphins cheating. Why put blame on yourself when you can put it on others. After most losses, the first thing that most fans want to point to is officiating. It's called deflecting blame, and as someone has already pointed out, it's human nature. Give someone a reason to blame someone/something else for their own short comings and that person will take it.

About #2, were we really outraged? I don't think so. I remember clearly the issue being discussed here. I remember the thread like yesterday. In particular I remember 90% of the board agreeing with the NFL's Steve Alic who said, "That's football." Every quote from the Patriots players and coaches was, "So what?"

Here' another thing that makes Warner look like an idiot on this. The Patriots are accused of stealing DEFENSIVE hand signals.

And, boy, did the Patriots offense ever rip a mediocre Rams defense that day. Must have gained at least 10 yards on them. Woooeeee.

How does Warner explain the performance of the Greatest Show on Turf?

47-7, no taping, no Brady. Suck it Warner.

Maybe Jesus told Warner something about it.
Maybe the cat's out of the bag.

Whatever we might feel about it, the 2000's Pats are never going to get fully out from under the shadow of Spygate. The Shadow will diminish with every passing year, but it will always be there.

You're absolutely right -- and this is why it is CRTICAL that we win another one (or more) while Brady / BB are still here. Nobody can say anything about Spygate in regards to any SB's won going forward.

I was hoping for Arizona to win, now because this stuff , I might have to pull for the Squeelers.. This is so assinine its beyond commenting..

About #2, were we really outraged? I don't think so. I remember clearly the issue being discussed here. I remember the thread like yesterday. In particular I remember 90% of the board agreeing with the NFL's Steve Alic who said, "That's football." Every quote from the Patriots players and coaches was, "So what?"

Good point .....obviously it is ok if the Colts, or the Jests, or the doofins do it,......bu if your name is BB, or you are running one of the greatest football dynasties of all time.......you are gonna be guilty

this stuff continues to make me want to puke and stop watching this joke of a league. Everyone does it......many admitted it.......Pats only one's dragged through the streets because of it......absolutely pathetic........bunch of whining, excuse making ****ies!

I may not even watch tomorrow......Hate the Steelers and am starting to develop a hatred for the Cards after this horsecrap.......f' whiner*unt........heck even Tom Rooney had no problems with what the Pats were doing or had done........hey, maybe that is a reason to pull for the steelers

Warner needs to get over it already. Funny how he has never said that the league should have looked deeper into the published reports of someone spying on the Patriots' practice from the next building that week.

I'm sorry, but there is no one who can coorborate the bogus rumor of videotaping the walkthrough. The league cannot turn every rumor into a Salem Witch Trial persecution of the Patriots because of an unrelated offense they were punished for which others have admitted to doing without any punishment.

Warner seems as if he's a great guy, and it's a shame that Ommissioner Goodell's incompetent handling of spygate has put his mind (and the minds of myriad others) into such a state of unknowing. Warner's probably at least partially right, after all, because that game probably did change careers.

You're absolutely right -- and this is why it is CRTICAL that we win another one (or more) while Brady / BB are still here. Nobody can say anything about Spygate in regards to any SB's won going forward.

No, nobody with a brain can say anything about it going forward. Surprisingly, that means we'll be clear of about 5% of the criticism going forward.

No level of reason or evidence (how do you prove you were not cheating?) will stop the cheating attacks. The Patriots went 18-1 last year, and conspiracy theorists will argue the reason they did not win that one game is because they did not cheat that time. That argument is patently ridiculous (what was the margin of victory in the other 18 highly monitored games?), but typical of why nothing will put this issue to bed in the minds of those people spouting cheating claims. It's not logic, it's pure contempt for Belichick and the Pats.

The fact is if the team is so underhanded, why do talented players and personnel keep coming to the team? Is it career enhancing to sign that contract if the team really is what these idiots claim it to be? I don't think so. While last year sucked big time with every clown with an axe to grind coming out of the woodwork, it is comforting to know the best shots were taken and now the worst those jokers can do is rehash that unsubstantiated garbage. Belichick is still here, the Pats are still here, and I now celebrate the whining of every joker whose best response to Patriots wins is the team cheats.

Last edited:
Three trophies are in the case and listening to Brady the other day says to me some space needs to be saved for a few more.

What I want to see is the space between the girders where they hang the banners, FILLED up!!

Everyone else can eat my shorts.........

Last edited:
No, nobody with a brain can say anything about it going forward. Surprisingly, that means we'll be clear of about 5% of the criticism going forward.

you got it...exaggerated maybe to make a point, but right nonetheless.

The NFL is a mass media entertainment business designed to sell beer, cars, fast food and a whole bunch of other consumer products. The mass media audience has an IQ profile that matches the profile of the population at large; meaning that it contains a whole lot of gullible people, whose life aspirations do not include rocket science or brain surgery.

The sports media and savvy self-promoters like Warner know that there will always be an audience for Spygate becasue there will always be people who want to believe its worst implications and/or who will take what they say at face value, however tenuous or nonexistent its relationship to the truth may be.

You'll just have to deal with all this talk until we win another trophy. Like the poster above said it's contempt over logic. 2 straight years we were a play away from beating the teams that went onto win the Super Bowl and that has a negative impact on our image? Let me ask, how many teams won 3 super bowls in a short span and went on to continue being an elite contender? When the Steelers got their 4 titles in the 70s, they fell into mediocrity for the next decade and a half. Cowboys of the early 90s? Same story. The 49ers had sustained success but for most of that time they didn't salary cap restrictions to maneuver around.

Teams just don't stay great for this long, even if you assume that they didn't "cheat" like us when they were great (which is a heavy assumption when it comes to what we know about steroids, leg whip techniques, and salary cap violations). Players get older, coaches move on, other teams catch on to your strengths/tendencies, and in our case free agency costs you several key players. From the 22 starters on the 2004 championship team, only 10 of them remain on the current team in prominent roles. 2 of which are Rodney and Vrabel who both have lost a considerable steps. The fact that the Patriots still go into each season as the team to beat is beyond amazing especially in the salary cap era and speaks volumes about BB.

BB has a record of 29-6 since having the cameras taken away - half of those games without Tom Brady. How people can sit there with a straight face and say he is tainted is beyond me.

I was hoping for Arizona to win, now because this stuff , I might have to pull for the Squeelers.. This is so assinine its beyond commenting..

Well, you can hope for a hard hit that brings Leinhart into the game, and the kid put Warner into retirement by leading the Cards to victory.

BB has a record of 29-6 since having the cameras taken away - half of those games without Tom Brady. How people can sit there with a straight face and say he is tainted is beyond me.

Well said. The sad thing is that it's "beyond you" and it's "beyond me" but it's not "beyond" millions of mass-audience members who are unwilling or unable to grasp the distinction. We just have to live with that.

is warner still married to that same lady? and does she still have the same haircut?

Pure frustration and disbelief, that's all he's got from that day.

Last edited:
I watched Warner in the Super Bowl when the Rams beat the Titans, he did not impress me. The Titans came very close to winning that game. The next year, the Patriots beat the Rams and now he has the balls to cry about it.

Cardinals have not face a defense as good as the Steelers in the playoffs. Hell, our defense shut him down and we were riddled with injuries. Sorry Kurt you are going down, and crying about your loss to the Patriots...well that dog is not going to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes