PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Warfield had a poor camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
From patriots.com (with my apologies for there being no link here):

· Eric Warfield really struggled. He looked slow and didn’t react well when the ball was in the air. I hate to say it but wearing No. 23, he looked like a taller version of the player who wore that number last season. Just in case you forgot who that player was, it’s not meant to be a compliment. After watching him at mini-camp, I would say Warfield’s roster spot on this team is far from secure.

It's alright... he's being mentored by The III, he'll be fine.

:D

Last edited:
Out with Warfield, in with Law . . . please.

Law and Hobbs on the outside, Samuel in the slot with Gay and Chad Scott as backups and we're talented and deep at CB.

Talk of shifting Geno to CB rears its ugly head again - I wouldn't mind that, especially with all those possibilities at safety.

patsox23 said:
rears its ugly head again - I wouldn't mind that
I love the wording here ;)

They do have a lot of safetys, so it wouldn't suprise me to see Gino moved to CB. However, I want Ty Law back so Gino stays a Safety. Warfield should change his number, although 23 looks "TIGHT" for a CB.

It was MINI Camp. That's M-I-N-I Camp.

This messge is brought to by Corey Dillon who would rather filp the bird to the media than look at them.

Say it aint so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaBriunz told me Warfield is a Playa.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Was Warfield ever good?

Good Scrub on one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL over these last few years. Why do you think KC attained Surtain and is now making a play for Law?

He may have been a good Saftey out of Nebraska when Gunther Cunnigham drafted him.

PATSNUTme said:
It was MINI Camp. That's M-I-N-I Camp.

With cornerbacks, minicamp can be very telling. They are just as responsible for covering WRs in MC as they are in games. More so in Warfield's case since he fared better in 2004 playing off the WR. In minicamp, the situations are just as similar.

Canty was getting torched by UDFA WRs in rookie minicamp.

Starks looked sluggish in training camp.

I'm not saying Warfield is a bust, but coming off a bad 2005 season, and looking bad in MC, there is every reason to be pessimistic.

As for Geno at CB, he's never played the position in the NFL and free safety is not a deep position on this team. Who is the Pats backup FS???

Every report I've read other than Casale's said that Warfield had a very good camp and was one of the best cover corners out there. I like Casale but his player evaluation isn't always that great. He thought Oliver Hoyte was the best ILB in this years draft. Hoyte ended up not even getting drafted.

Brady-To-Branch said:
As for Geno at CB, he's never played the position in the NFL and free safety is not a deep position on this team. Who is the Pats backup FS???
Fact check this one Kimosabe*. :cool:

* Kimosabe, wasabe...does anyone know if that was TV injun for horseradish? Wouldn't surprise me to find out Tonto was calling the Lone Ranger a radish the whole time. Sorry sleep deprived again. :rolleyes:

TNPatsFan said:
Every report I've read other than Casale's said that Warfield had a very good camp and was one of the best cover corners out there. I like Casale but his player evaluation isn't always that great. He thought Oliver Hoyte was the best ILB in this years draft. Hoyte ended up not even getting drafted.

I have to disagree. He loved Hoyte but admitted he was a 5th or 6th round draft pick at best and that no one else on the planet liked him as much as he did. He also said Ashton Youboty and Darnell Bing were vastly overrated and that Mike Hass would be drafted in the sixth round, which a lot of people here laughed at. I read all of Patriots.com's draft stuff and if you go look back at it, I think you'll see he had some good evaluations. Also, I read a report that Hoyte was one of the big surprises at the Cowboys rookie mini-camp. He may not be right about Warfield but I don't think he would just make something up like Felger and some of the other idiots. At least if he says it - right or wrong - it's based on something he's seen. Plus, he used to write for a Chiefs magazine before he came to Patriots.com I think I heard him say once on the radio, so maybe he has more insight on Warfield than some of the regular local guys.

Also, where did you read that Warfield had a good camp? That report was the first I read about him. I was wondering how he was doing but that's the first I heard of him.

Last edited:
This all begs for my previous question, was Warfield ever good?

I don't know the first thing about him, except that he was on a bad, bad defense for a number of years.

Does anyone actually know something about this guy to make us think he is more than the next Tommy Knight/Duane Starks ?

Brady-To-Branch said:
As for Geno at CB, he's never played the position in the NFL

Not true. Geno has played CB many times in the NFL. Obviously, he's primarily a safety, but they've shifted him to CB dozens of times.

Last edited by a moderator:
why would we want to put Wilson at CB? Hes been fine at safety..hes getting better..had to adjust without Rodney and be a leader but it didnt all come together..hes not bad at FS..hes going to be a pro bowler in the future and he wont be better than Samuel at corner anyways..hes not going anywhere unless we get tons of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back