PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Warfield Great Fit For the Pats???

Status
Not open for further replies.

corndogg_3

Rookie
Reaction score
I think that Warfield is going to be a great pick-up. Two reasons.... depth even if he doesn't see every down, he's a great nickel. Secondly, look where he comes from...... the Chiefs. Not the best defense around. Yet he still had 4 picks in consecutive years. He was ridden a lot in KC because of his high salary, and getting "burned", which was rare and based on the absence of a run stopping D. He has tons of potential. Athletic ability is superb, and it really would not surprise me if he sees a lot of playing time this year, may even start sooner or later. As long as he keeps his head on straight, he's going to be a great asset. He will fit in well with the program, and now there is no need to draft a DB, the depth is in place.

Thanks, Corndog. Sounds like a Patriots find.

As usual, they make the boring, depth signings first then pull the trigger when the cards fall their way.

It's frustrating for the fans, but it sure beats the competition in the salary cap era.

Have I missed the signing? I heard some discussion about Warfield but no confirmation. Or are you both just anticipating that it will happen?

I know they haven't signed this guy, but they apparently are on Mel Mitchell for safety and special teams and have signed Scott and Hawkins.

I will admit they might have scrambled and signed players in haste last year.

Hard to tell with all the injuries. They seem to be VERY patient this year and that's a good sign to me.

RayClay said:
I know they haven't signed this guy, but they apparently are on Mel Mitchell for safety and special teams and have signed Scott and Hawkins.

I will admit they might have scrambled and signed players in haste last year.

Hard to tell with all the injuries. They seem to be VERY patient this year and that's a good sign to me.

Exactly. You are right on Ray. They are taking their time and making sure that they make the RIGHT choice.

DefenseRules said:
Exactly. You are right on Ray. They are taking their time and making sure that they make the RIGHT choice.
I think that is the way to do it..last year a few misses in key positions..
and that spells trouble...but you know..with misses and injuries and all..the team did incredibly well!!

DefenseRules said:

Could this also be the result of having 3 extra weeks of offseason to do homework?

re

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Warfield is the next O-T-I-S!!!

Virtually the same height and build.
Almost identical statistics (Otis' 2001 vs. Warfield 2001-2004).
Both big guys, and good bump and run players.
Warfield was #44 in KC, Otis was #45.

AzPatsFan said:
Have I missed the signing? I heard some discussion about Warfield but no confirmation. Or are you both just anticipating that it will happen?

They signed him a week or two ago.

I only see Warfield as the dimeback unless he really puts on a pre-season performance. Samuel and Hobbs have solidified themselves as starters while Gay has the starting experience and could be a great nickel. Chad Scott and Poteat provide some real depth we've been lacking.

pats1 said:
I only see Warfield as the dimeback unless he really puts on a pre-season performance. Samuel and Hobbs have solidified themselves as starters while Gay has the starting experience and could be a great nickel. Chad Scott and Poteat provide some real depth we've been lacking.

I'd take Warfield over waiver-wire Poteat if we're looking for added depth.

Willie55 said:
oh no question willie55. i hope he is the next rodney.

Warfield will be OK if...

He can stay out of automobiles while he is drunk. I, for one, am tired of people getting multiple chances after DUIs like Warfield and Leonard Little in Stl.

Would you want someone who has three DUIs moving to your neighborhood? We just had a multiple DUI offender run over two mothers last week and now they are in critical care.

Willie55 said:

Exactly.

LCB - Hobbs
RCB - Samuel

Nickel - Gay
Dime - Warfield

5th - Chad Scott
6th - Poteat

FS - Wilson
SS - Harrison

S - Jones
S - Hawkins
S - Sanders
S - Mitchell
S - Guss Scott

More concerned with whether he'll give up points on the scoreboard, but the points on the license is nothing to sneeze at either.

From the sounds of things, a fresh start will do it for him, if anything does. He basically structures his life around AA, which is not a good thing going in, but at least it's not like he's unaware/perversely proud of his problem.

I believe he'll work out because he will hit. Whether you believe Law was ever a shutdown corner, I do believe he was a lights-out corner. Given the option of a backfield full of the latter, and a single exemplar of the former, I think Belichick takes the four guys who will hit. You might get burned for some points, but people get tired and timid about catching the ball with the likes of Wilson (esp. 04), the departed Law, and more than anybody, Rodney making you pay if you catch the ball.

I think I've seen more than a few drops result from the knowledge of the consequences against these guys... from that perspective, Warfield will fit. Of course, the best secondary doesn't let the ball get to the receiver (then hits him anyway when they can get away with it.)

But I'll still take "good" coverage plus pain, instead of slightly better overall coverage but "I won't tackle" attitudes.

PFnV

pats1 said:
Exactly.

LCB - Hobbs
RCB - Samuel

Nickel - Gay
Dime - Warfield

5th - Chad Scott
6th - Poteat

FS - Wilson
SS - Harrison

S - Jones
S - Hawkins
S - Sanders
S - Mitchell
S - Guss Scott

Formidable secondary!

But 3 lads too many. Who goes?
I see Rodney beginning the season on PUP ... one regrettable camp IR ... and
trusty ol' Hank staying in shape again, never far from his phone.

shakadave said:
Could this also be the result of having 3 extra weeks of offseason to do homework?

Hate to say it, but I think BB was relieved to end the season.

He must have been a ball of stress after 2 short off seasons, (thanks Bill) a horrendous injury filled campaign and terrible personal problems/losses.

I think he's relaxed and invigorated and that's bad news for the rest of the league.

flutie2phelan said:
Formidable secondary!

But 3 lads too many. Who goes?
I see Rodney beginning the season on PUP ... one regrettable camp IR ... and
trusty ol' Hank staying in shape again, never far from his phone.

Don't forget special teams. Chatham might be replaced by a safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back