Welcome to PatsFans.com

War - The Constitution - Do We Need an Amendment?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 18, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +911 / 8 / -18

#87 Jersey

This site says it pretty well and concise to start:
    http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/warandtreaty.htm

Huge topic but after something PressCoverage said in a post I'm wondering why none of the candidates are offering the idea to amend War powers. An olive branch to the public? I know the President cannot do it but Congress can if asked. I think the public would agree something needs to be done to stop the next Bush while keeping our country safe. What do you think?

>>>Leave it alone and get Congress to do their job next time?
    They do share in the blame IMO.

>>>Congress should make an Amendment ... not to gain power
    but to at least add another layer of checks and balances.
    Near impossible to get 2/3's to do it but now is the best chance we have.

>>>The G.O.P. will never cede Presidential powers ... the democrats perhaps
    would consider it ... will the majority needed always be blocked by the G.O.P. or could the moderate Republicans be swayed?

>>>Stupid idea FBN you are dreaming?

2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I just got done reading Charlie Wilson's War (movie with Tom Hanks). Basically, one member from the House, whose home district is just a little hiccup in East Texas, garnered so much power that he put together a war in which no one (public) knew about. At the height of the Soviet's occupation in Afghanistan, Charlie Wilson had most of the CIA's budget going into this war (he was on two appropriations committees). What's amazing is this operation was going on when the Contra Scandal was at its peak. Thus, in regards to your post, anything is possible regardless of the powers that be. Bush has spun policy and so forth and even if there were an additional amendments, I don't think we would see a stop to.......and end around. If one congressman from a little town in Texas can wage a war with the Soviets then I think anything is just about possible.
    (BTW, this is a great read and reads like fiction, tho its the real deal).
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

the film tells 1/1000th of the story that the book does... which is often the case... we suckered the Soviets into Afghanistan, though they deserve no sympathy for what they did to those people...
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Yea, probably end up watching the movie when it comes on TV, and I'm sure I'll be 100% disappointed.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

Since congress voted to authorize military action in Iraq how would another law change things?
  6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +911 / 8 / -18

#87 Jersey

Exactly the point of the thread. How can we expect this to not happen again if congress cannot or will not do their job. Do they need to do their job next time or make an Amendment tothe Constitution to protect them from their own selves.

I am not convinced the next President won't pull a Bush ... especially if it's Hillary. America is expecting change but nothing in the Constitution guarantees there won't be another Bush.

That's why I say stupid idea because I believe the G.O.P. in the end would block all attempts. I thought the dabate could be good ... maybe ... perhaps?
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The problem doesn't lie with Congress. It lies with the people. Deep down inside our society still wants someone to make our problems go away. If Congress had made the brave choice and fought Bush in 2002 they would have gotten slaughtered at the polls. Bush's promise of a quick solution was just too appealing. The first thing any politician has to do is get re-elected. They can't do anything if they get voted out.
  8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +911 / 8 / -18

#87 Jersey

... you make good points.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 10 / -26

I am not a big fan of changing the constitution, as it has stood the test of time.. something like this is a good idea, but the subsequent shyte fight would render it just another joisting at windmills effort.