Welcome to PatsFans.com

War Plan Red - From War to Allies

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 26, 2011.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Interesting stuff ... Hitler enabled a serious change in plans.

Hated history in high school ... now I am catching up.

How America planned to destroy BRITAIN in 1930 with bombing raids and chemical weapons | Mail Online

How the US Planned to Destroy Britain Just a Few Years Before World War II

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article30531.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

A fascinating read that I devoured, which I followed up with the Devil and the White City by Erik Larson.

FYI do not get confused with another book written by a dude named Larsen which has the same title, but is a novel.

Amazon.com: In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin (9780307408846): Erik Larson: Books

3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Scary interesting. I did not know about this.

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I am not surprised America had several contingency plans for "what if?" scenario's.

Let's not mistake these scenarios as something America planned to put into action. They were plans to react to certain events, if they happened.

I am positive that we still have such plans against a vast array of potential "enemies" at this very moment in time. I don't find being prepared for anything shocking at all.

However, I am surprised McArthur gave the ok to chemical weapons.

The key sentence in Icy's post was,

"The plans, revealed in a Channel 5 documentary, were one of a number of military contingency plans drawn up against a number of potential enemies..."

America was NOT gearing up to attack Great Britain, let's get that straight. "If" certain events were to ocurr, then war plan red would go into action.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is 100% right on. We have "plans" to take care of virtually every single contingency that can reasonably be imagined.

But just because we have contingency plans to do something doesn't mean it is something we would ever actually plan on doing.

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Still surprising it was Great Britain and especially surprising based on possible reasoning. I know some years ago it was theorized eventually there would be a world war over natural resources - probably serious contingency plans for that one to this day ...

Where Press Cover ... wish he was still here. :scared:

7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Oh, don't worry....PC is still here

In da house!

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

It's really quite interesting. I guess another legacy of FDR was to establish the relations with Britain that we today take for granted. As the article notes, "Stemming from Churchill and Roosevelt, it has since flourished - from Thatcher and Reagan, and Clinton and Blair, to the Queen and Obama."

Also, in the 1920s and 1930s, there was considerable public support for fascism and later on Nazi-ism by the American right. Duponts, Mellons, Lindbergh, Ford and others were among those connected to American fascism and Nazi-ism. As many have pointed out, the American military tends to be right-wing and Republican, so I suppose it's no real surprise that there were elements who wanted plans to defeat Britain while not concerned about the rise of fascism in Europe.

9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +911 / 14 / -7

While aware that there are cadres of "what-iffers" running around in the bowels of countless agencies here -- certainly not least among them the DOD proper, but certainly not limited thereto either -- I was nonetheless surprised by the fact that this plan existed, at the gut level.

A split second later, of course, I said to myself, well, that's not so surprising.

Somewhere in the bowels of all these agencies, someone has tapped out plans stamped ultra top secret (maybe a couple phonetics afterwards like romeo foxtrot,) which have similarly surprising objectives.

Oddly, the single most public contingency plan is that if (some vague set of conditions apply,) then we will immolate millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of unarmed civilian combatants.

It's the legacy of the cold war that we think this makes sense.

We don't like to think about these other contingency plans -- the events that would mean we would wipe out Israel (guarantee you someone has that plan out there.) The events that would mean we shoot to kill in our own cities with a 24-hour curfew enforced. Whatever extreme scenario, some chain of events -- however unlikely -- has probably been gamed out and led to, and there is some very well hidden document saying we're ready to do it.

Thinking about the unthinkable isn't just something we "dare to do" these days... it's a cottage industry, out in the private sector, and the military and intel agencies themselves hire professional paranoids, whose life work has consisted of drawing up exactly this sort of plan.

You can say "the reason most of the scenarios don't come to pass is that we've got the best paranoids in the world," or you can say "Wow. Really?"

But that's where we are.

That ain't left or right, that's just scary -- whether you think it's necessary and scary, or unnecessary and scary.

PFnV

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +385 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

I don't think I would characterize the current relationship as all that cozy.