PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Want to try the Wonderlic test?

I recently ordered a bunch of Wonderlics to test prospective job seekers for a research role at my company. The position requires a lot of quick decision making and logic, and we need someone who processes information quickly and makes sound, accurate decisions. If I remember to, I'll try to compare the real Wonderlic test to the link provided in this thread. I'm guessing it is similar. I see a lot of excellent scores in this thread... I believe that anything over a 30 signifies a very high level of intelligence (at least 2D, logical intelligence). I'm the type of person who will score very highly on this type of test but am a buffoon in a lot of practical areas in life, so I guess there are lots of types of intelligence =) .

33... I'm no Andrew Luck, but it is Tom Brady's score.

Dunno what I'd get without the ads and the scotch though.

One of those is a performance enhancer...

I recently ordered a bunch of Wonderlics to test prospective job seekers for a research role at my company. The position requires a lot of quick decision making and logic, and we need someone who processes information quickly and makes sound, accurate decisions. If I remember to, I'll try to compare the real Wonderlic test to the link provided in this thread. I'm guessing it is similar. I see a lot of excellent scores in this thread... I believe that anything over a 30 signifies a very high level of intelligence (at least 2D, logical intelligence). I'm the type of person who will score very highly on this type of test but am a buffoon in a lot of practical areas in life, so I guess there are lots of types of intelligence =) .

My wife says I'm an total maroon in many areas of domestic life...I told her I got a 38 on the Wonderlic and she asked me if I forgot to turn the oven off.

junker-dog-ate-my-homework.jpg
Yeah....... pretty much.

Ah hell, it's how I feel this morning, too. Time for some Navy-strength coffee and a couple Motrin.

I see a lot of excellent scores in this thread... I believe that anything over a 30 signifies a very high level of intelligence (at least 2D, logical intelligence).
I wouldn't take all those scores at face value. I bet an online test like that has a very small pool of questions and that some of the results posted were after multiple attempts.

Had I taken it a second time, I would have done much better even if there were no repeated questions. It took about 2 questions to realize that I should have had a pen and paper. It took me another several questions to realize that in many of the answers, you really only need to determine the 2 digits furthers to the right. I was also focused way to much on accuracy and took too much time on some questions. I left almost 20 questions unanswered.

Those who felt the need to take the test over and over to learn all the tricks know who they are. I wonder if they realize their true motivations to cheat to post an inflated score on a message board.

Last edited:
For me I learned from this that this test is not really seeing how good you are at math or reading, what it's really testing is how good you are at quickly recognizing a problem and processing it. I can definitely see how that ability would translate to how well you as an NFL prospect would learn a real NFL playbook....

Do the players get pop-up ads? Does their computer hang as the clock goes on. With all that 38 and a restart.

I started taking it ... however the NE Revolution have scored 5 goals so far and I was extremely distracted ... maybe later.
and then the dog ate your homework! :)

38 but I was more in the Ricky Williams mindframe than the Ryan Fitzpatrick one at the time...

The speed was a difficulty -- I looked at the clock after a few minutes and found I was moving way too slow.

I wouldn't take all those scores at face value. I bet an online test like that has a very small pool of questions and that some of the results posted were after multiple attempts.

Had I taken it a second time, I would have done much better even if there were no repeated questions. It took about 2 questions to realize that I should have had a pen and paper. It took me another several questions to realize that in many of the answers, you really only need to determine the 2 digits furthers to the right. I was also focused way to much on accuracy and took too much time on some questions. I left almost 20 questions unanswered.

Those who felt the need to take the test over and over to learn all the tricks know who they are. I wonder if they realize their true motivations to cheat to post an inflated score on a message board.

I think you are probably right -- I took it straight up, once, and realized time management was a problem. But I am an extremely intelligent person -- an outlier for most purposes.

I got a 40, luckily my last 5 questions were all verbal reasoning or I wouldn't have finished. Mental math isn't my strong suit, even though the math itself often requires you to only figure out, for example, the first number (e.g. 4987 - 2534 = ? is tough to get to the real answer mentally in a reasonable timeframe, but not if only one of the multiple choices has a 3 as the ones digit). But you have to be able to think that way, and Kaplan and Princeton Review have made a fortune out of coaching students who don't understand those strategies intuitively on that type of thing for the SATs and other multiple choice standardized tests.

As a result, I definitely think this is one test where you would benefit from repeat taking and developing a strategy around time management.

I imagine NFL players take practice tests before the combine, and I think that I would coach many players just to concentrate on finishing 30 questions or so rather than rushing to get through all 50.

Also note that the website has a disclaimer specifically saying the test is not a real Wonderlic and may not be a true indicator of what you would get on the real Wonderlic, so who knows.

http://footballiqscore.com/

I got 28 on my first try, that was Peyton Manning's score so I guess I'm as smart as him. LOL. I only got to 33 questions though, couldn't get to 50 because I ran out of time.

The challenge of answering 50 questions in 12 minutes is MUCH harder than the actual questions themselves. You have to guess at questions that aren't obvious or you'll run out of time. I was always amazed that a lot of NFL prospects could only score in the single digits on this test but now I think it's understandable if you get stuck on a question or two...

39. I only was able to answer 40 questions though. I don't know which one I got wrong. You're right - getting through it all is TOUGH.

I imagine NFL players take practice tests before the combine, and I think that I would coach many players just to concentrate on finishing 30 questions or so rather than rushing to get through all 50.

Also note that the website has a disclaimer specifically saying the test is not a real Wonderlic and may not be a true indicator of what you would get on the real Wonderlic, so who knows.

When testing a raw ability, if someone prepares for that specific test, what exactly are you testing? If you want to truly test a raw ability, the test should be spontaneous, without much coaching. Isn't one of the things the wonderlic is testing is the ability to learn and adapt quickly? Were this a certification test or something measuring your proficiency of a learned skill, then I would agree with you. Given that it is a test for raw ability, I completely disagree.

44 on my first try on the short test. That wasn't so bad. Last year I took the test and crashed and burned. The difference? It must be Revis. I'm on Revis Island, now. Relaxed, tanned, ready.

Revis Island.jpg

When testing a raw ability, if someone prepares for that specific test, what exactly are you testing? If you want to truly test a raw ability, the test should be spontaneous, without much coaching. Isn't one of the things the wonderlic is testing is the ability to learn and adapt quickly? Were this a certification test or something measuring your proficiency of a learned skill, then I would agree with you. Given that it is a test for raw ability, I completely disagree.

You're testing problem solving abilities, but there are certainly strategies common to all multiple choice standardized tests - time management, thinking backwards through the question, etc. - that would increase your score. Now, it might be good if the players were actually taking the test for the first time, but we know that's not the case - there's hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of dollars on the line and you can bet their colleges are giving them practice tests and coaching them on strategy.

You're testing problem solving abilities, but there are certainly strategies common to all multiple choice standardized tests - time management, thinking backwards through the question, etc. - that would increase your score. Now, it might be good if the players were actually taking the test for the first time, but we know that's not the case - there's hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of dollars on the line and you can bet their colleges are giving them practice tests and coaching them on strategy.
I understand why players prepare for the tests. When money is on the line and resources are available, they will be used. Either way, preparation for such tests really limits the test's value. There are a lot of jobs out there in the real world that give wonderlic or similar tests out there and many of the candidates are unaware. That is when the test is really useful for employers.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to detect if someone has prepared for such a test. A way to mitigate it somewhat would be to give the test in 2 or three parts separated by 30 minute breaks. Not only could measure the total scores, you could get a measurement of the improvement at each section. If I were to take the test a 2nd time, my score would improve dramatically. Each time thereafter, my score would improve significantly, but over time those improvements would become smaller and smaller. Obviously you would want to keep the scoring secret from the testers, but in the NFL environment, that probably would never happen.

Patfans has very smart posters!

or

The dumbasses aren't posting their scores.

Note: I have not posted my score.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back