PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Want to feel better? Just remember 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Want to Feel Better? Just Remember 2005

Sure, we can face it, but I can also look back at the past 2 playoffs and realize there's some hope for lower-seeded teams. All you need to do is make the tourney and anything goes.

Let's take this season one week at a time. The Pats will have their hands full Sunday in Miami.

There is a little hope...if somehow we win in the playoffs while avoiding the Colts AND the Saints. But even absence of play versus the Colts and Saints, I still have mediocre hope.

If Neal somehow stayed healthy, Mankins decided to show up, Vollmer came back 100%, and we committed to giving Maroney a real quantity of carries, I think we could have a pretty destructive ground game. Of course, all of those things won't happen, but I don't think we're all that far off if we decide to go in that direction.

The 2005 Super Bowl rings they got were awesome!

Oh, wait..........

Ah yes, the pointless one-liner. That is correct, the Pats lost to Denver in the playoffs. Anything can happen in any given game. But that squad had rounded into a very solid team.

If Neal somehow stayed healthy, Mankins decided to show up, Vollmer came back 100%, and we committed to giving Maroney a real quantity of carries, I think we could have a pretty destructive ground game. Of course, all of those things won't happen, but I don't think we're all that far off if we decide to go in that direction.

Agreed, and as hard as it seems to believe now, even Monday's game could have turned out differently.....a 7 and a half minute drive followed by a 3 & out could have turned into another long drive for a TD.

There is a little hope...if somehow we win in the playoffs while avoiding the Colts AND the Saints. But even absence of play versus the Colts and Saints, I still have mediocre hope.

Funny how if we converted the 4th down vs Colts perception would be different.

PATS = PAST.

This thread is all about the PAST. It's definitely in a wrong forum because it's a PATS forum NOT PAST forum.

When are we going to STOP looking at the PAST????????

Last edited:

This has more of a 2002 feel to it. That Patriots team had its magical moments, but for the most part got dominated by superior teams. This year's Patriots hasn't pulled any "upsets". They faded in the second half at Indy and got knocked around at New Orleans (reminding me of the '02 beatdown that the Titans gave that year, imposing their will the entire game).

I'd say, put the 2002, 2005, and 2006 seasons in a blender, and that's what we're getting right now.

PATS = PAST.

If you are in the 'PAST' too much as you like to live in 01,03,and 04 , you need to go to www.PASTFANS.com. That's all I'm saying.

PATS = PAST.

If you are in the 'PAST' too much as you like to live in 01,03,and 04 , you need to go to www.PASTFANS.com. That's all I'm saying.

Are we playing the Jumble? Let's see.....after Monday's game, should we be playing TAPS for the PATS?

I mean, you've made the same post twice now, what's the point? The idea here is that the current regime has in the not-so-distant PAST gone from a shaky looking team to a solid one in the playoffs. This isn't reliving glory days, because the 2005 team got bounced by Denver. Stuff happens. Point is, it's potentially illuminating for this year's edition.

almost every season we suffer at least one blow out regardless of how good we are (2007 being an obvious exception).

Let's even go back to their Super Bowl Winning seasons

2001 - blown out at Miami 31-10
2003 - lost 31-0 to Bills
2004 - lost big to the Steelers, can't remember the score though

almost every season we suffer at least one blow out regardless of how good we are (2007 being an obvious exception).

Let's even go back to their Super Bowl Winning seasons

2001 - blown out at Miami 31-10
2003 - lost 31-0 to Bills
2004 - lost big to the Steelers, can't remember the score though

34-20, but it didn't feel even that close.

We also had loss to a bad Miami team in 2004. Not a blowout, but a total collapse late in the game.

Am I the only one who is still somewhat confused at the title of this thread? I read the OPs argument, but the title is comparable to a Colts fan saying "Remember 03 guys. You'll feel better Everything will be JUST fine."

Let's face one simple fact: It's impossible to be in the top 2 or 3 teams endlessly. I don't expect that from the Patriots and it would be stupid to expect that of them..... They aren't superheros, they are football players. Think how boring it would be if everything you wanted to have happen happened. I don't wanna live in that kinda dreamscape. They are just a collection of people that are pretty good at a complicated game. The Saints were much better Monday night. That's not the end of my world. That's reality.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who is still somewhat confused at the title of this thread? I read the OPs argument, but the title is comparable to a Colts fan saying "Remember 03 guys. You'll feel better Everything will be JUST fine."

:confused2:

Apparently we're supposed to take inspiration from the worst Patriots team there's been since the last Super Bowl Championship. I guess nothing says "Cheer up!" like a 10-6 season followed quickly by a 27-13 loss to the Broncos in the playoffs.

Apparently we're supposed to take inspiration from the worst Patriots team there's been since the last Super Bowl Championship. I guess nothing says "Cheer up!" like a 10-6 season followed quickly by a 27-13 loss to the Broncos in the playoffs.

You guys have really gotten away from the model that won you the championships in my opinion. Defense does win championships. The only reason that we won our Super Bowl is because the defense actually showed up. That's why I'm not convinced that this year's Colts team will do much in the postseason. Eventually, you run into a team that shuts down your passing game and you're screwed. It's Bill Polian's style though. It's almost like NE is following that style as well.

You actually think the 2005 team in the playoffs was the worst Pats team over the past five years? Wow, that's wrong.

You actually think the 2005 team in the playoffs was the worst Pats team over the past five years? Wow, that's wrong.

:confused:

There's not even a close 2nd on the list.

2005 team and 2008 team is a tight one. Both teams were very flawed.

2008 went 11-5 with Brady on the shelf. 2005 went 10-6 with Brady as the starter.

2008 went 11-5 with Brady on the shelf. 2005 went 10-6 with Brady as the starter.

OK but I don't think it's that clear-cut.

Secondary- slight edge to 2005. Asante wasn't Asante yet, but still better than anyone else on the 2008 squad.
LB-2005
DL-2005
RB-2008
WR-2008
TE-2005
OL-2008
QB-2005
K-even
P-even

Good discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back