PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WalterFootball's latest is up

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they get a comp for Watson, it sure as heck won't be a fourth-rounder; his contract was nowhere near large enough for that.

In fact, because the only qualifying FA they lost was Watson, and Crumpler counts as a FA signed, the best they can hope for is a late comp 7.

Good call. Forgot Crump.
DW Toys

Hahaha my man! The d-line "techniques" are very simple. They designate alignment. Odd means outside shoulder, even means heads up. In a 34 with no shifts on the nose plays the 0-technique aligned head-up on the center. Put him on the outside shoulder of the center and he becomes the 1-technique. Two gapping 43's play their DT's head-up on the guard in the 2-technique. The 43 playmaking tackles play the 3-technique. If they're really fast, some will play The Warren Sapp Alignment and play the 4i. The 4i denotes an inside alignment on the tackle, this is a strictly penetration alignment designed to put a player in the backfield immediately. In a two-gap 34 the DE plays head up on the tackle, which in football vernacular is known as the 4-technique. In order to maintain the integrity of two gaps, the player must be aligned head-up. If he plays to the outside he is relinquishing his inside shoulder and is easily hooked. In 1-gap 34's (I think Mayock got this from the LeBeau system), the ends have outside responsibility and accordingly are aligned on the outside shoulder of the tackle in the 5-technique. It not only enables better upfield rush, but enables the end to better seal the edge while the OLB's crash. This not only explains upfield TFL stats for OLB's but explains the demand for OLB's who can "set the edge" in the NE scheme.

You seriously, just schooled a brotha. That my friends is why I come to patsfans, well that and off the grid's vernacular haha.

You seriously, just schooled a brotha. That my friends is why I come to patsfans, well that and off the grid's vernacular haha.

I concur, sir: Brother Jay's expertise is elite.

And thanks for the kind words. :cool:

So Walter has the Patriots taking an offensive tackle at #17. I don't really see the value because I have a heard time seeing any of these highly rated tackles beating out Vollmer for the left tackle spot. Thus the Patriots would be drafting a right rackle with their first pick. I don't really like it.

Personally I dont see much value in any T that cant play left. Having a good LT is a must, having a decent backup LT playing RT has alot more value than any RT that cant. Rotating T from the RT grooming spot assures us leverage against a FA like Light that can simply demand too much $$. Drafting lower round G/T "tweeners" then have value for backing up multiple positions but you wont see a backup LT on the bench. Light is coming off a Pro Bowl season and could demand alot of $$ toward a diminishing cap, having Vollmer move seems to be a natural fit. Drafting Vollmer's replacement is as important as any on the team, I dont see any immediate impact pass rushers available where we are drafting so taking someone like Carimi is both a need and value pick.

(A) I was a bit off, but, Watson's contract alone would be at best one of the last 5th-round comps last year, so it won't be a 4th this year.

(B) According to AdamJT13, the guy who predicts these things, no team has ever received a comp pick above the 7th round in a season in which they signed as many qualifying FAs as they lost (Jarvis Green doesn't count b/c he was waived by the Donkeys).

Are you sure he doesn't count, because I thought the main criteria was size of the contract signed (along with playing time and post season awards)?

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Details of the contract signed by Patriots TE Alge Crumpler…

>>>>>Crumpler has received a signing bonus of $1 million, I’m told, and he’s slated to earn salaries of $1.4 million in 2010 and $2.4 million in 2011.

In all, that gives him a two-year deal worth $4.8 million, not including escalators and incentive clauses.<<<<<(average $2.4 mm/year)
From Rotoworld.com
Jarvis Green - four years, $20mm, avg $5mm/year
Ben Watson - three years, $12mm, avg $4mm/year

From redzone.org
"The value of the picks is determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and those acquired. "
-----------------
Even if you consider Watson and Crumpler a wash ( leaning slightly in Pats favor), if the Green contract is considered, hopefully it will be worth a 5th at best and a 6th at worst......

Are you sure he doesn't count, because I thought the main criteria was size of the contract signed (along with playing time and post season awards)?

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Details of the contract signed by Patriots TE Alge Crumpler…

>>>>>Crumpler has received a signing bonus of $1 million, I’m told, and he’s slated to earn salaries of $1.4 million in 2010 and $2.4 million in 2011.

In all, that gives him a two-year deal worth $4.8 million, not including escalators and incentive clauses.<<<<<(average $2.4 mm/year)
From Rotoworld.com
Jarvis Green - four years, $20mm, avg $5mm/year
Ben Watson - three years, $12mm, avg $4mm/year

From redzone.org
"The value of the picks is determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and those acquired. "
-----------------
Even if you consider Watson and Crumpler a wash ( leaning slightly in Pats favor), if the Green contract is considered, hopefully it will be worth a 5th at best and a 6th at worst......
I think Jarvis being cut before the season will eliminate him from the equation, leaving Watson. We'll know in another month.

Personally I dont see much value in any T that cant play left. Having a good LT is a must, having a decent backup LT playing RT has alot more value than any RT that cant.

That's a VERY good point, one I don't see mentioned often.

And it's why I prefer to draft a LEFT Tackle, and leave Sebastian The Cruel at Right: Not only is he an extraordinary Right Tackle, but he is an INVALUABLE Back Up Plan, in case of injury.

It's also my thinking behind my wish to draft Mike Brewster AND Peter Konz, next year: Let one take Center, and let the other take Left Guard, if Francis persists in his tantrum, but agrees to stay for one last year: If the one who takes Center gets hurt, we roll an HIGH CALIBER replacement right over there, and let Dan Connolly or Quinn Ojinnaka or whomever step in: The drop off in the Line's play is MUCH less precipitous if we send in a back up Guard, than if we send in a back up Center. Ditto, Right Tackle versus Left.

That's a VERY good point, one I don't see mentioned often.

And it's why I prefer to draft a LEFT Tackle, and leave Sebastian The Cruel at Right: Not only is he an extraordinary Right Tackle, but he is an INVALUABLE Back Up Plan, in case of injury.

It's also my thinking behind my wish to draft Mike Brewster AND Peter Konz, next year: Let one take Center, and let the other take Left Guard, if Francis persists in his tantrum, but agrees to stay for one last year: If the one who takes Center gets hurt, we roll an HIGH CALIBER replacement right over there, and let Dan Connolly or Quinn Ojinnaka or whomever step in: The drop off in the Line's play is MUCH less precipitous if we send in a back up Guard, than if we send in a back up Center. Ditto, Right Tackle versus Left.

I think that if we do not resign Light, we move Vollmer to the left side. With a left side of Koppen, Mankins and Vollmer, we have three sports locked up.

For the right side, we have Connally at OG and Kazcur or Levoir at OT but all of them are short term answers at best.

The solution is to draft Costanza and Watkins very early or Bolings and Ziemba a little later or some combination of these four players and let Dante coach these players up and have them ready to start by mid season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back