PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Walter to IR,Pats sign Sean Landetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reggie Roby would be a tough one to bring in.............he's dead. He was a heck of a punter when he was with Miami tho.

Well that wouldn't be an improvement over Walter.

Although I think he was in a coma for a couple games in 2003.

Those of you ragging on Walter - your ignorance is showing. Walter may leave much to be desired as punter, but he was brought in for his gift - yep, GIFT - as a holder, and that is of great value, especially with a rookie K headed to the playoffs. All who ragged on him from the get-go, careful what you wish for. This is that big a deal, but it is NOT a blessing.

I've never been a kicker, so I don't know if one guy can hold your balls that much better than another.

I guess we'll find out.:p

Lordy...Lordy...

Whatever happened to that steroid guy punter? is he still available?

Denver had good punter but was expensive and they cut him. Why we don't sign the guy Todd Sauerbrun, we have cap room and we can improve here?

In the words of Peter Boyle, "Holy Crap"... this is the 86th post on Walter being put on IR.. only 55 posts on our pats getting snubbed for the pro bowl.. need some perspective here follks.

In the words of Peter Boyle, "Holy Crap"... this is the 86th post on Walter being put on IR.. only 55 posts on our pats getting snubbed for the pro bowl.. need some perspective here follks.

I think the punting situation has far more to do with the outcome of the season than the probowl voting. To me Walter was the weakest link on the team by a mile. Lets face it the offense will not be carrying the team this year we need the field position battle to go our way.

You lack perspective. The Pats send players to the Pro Bowl every year. When's the last time a team lost two punters to injury?

My friends, today we stand on the threshold of history.

This may seem like no big deal except that you lose your

holder for field goals.

Now Vinny and Landetta can share grandparenting tips with each other.

Vinnie knows as much about running that offense as we do.

Assuming Vinny is the best choice for holder (and I'm not assuming that, but let's say he is for the sake of your point)... does BB, living in fear of a worst case scenario of Brady going down and Cassell is unable to immediately come into the game, decide to get by with one fewer roster spot?

Or, knowing that the chances of Brady going out are low, and that Vinny could get by at QB for a quarter or two until the 4th quarter when Cassell comes in, does he post Cassell as the 3rd QB, give Vinny the opportunity to hold, and retain his roster exemption for one of his QBs?

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about whether either Cassell and Vinnie are anywhere near Brady's level of knowing the offense. If Brady goes down in a game, its going to be short passes and a heavilly run oriented offense that takes very few risks.

We're probably screwed if Brady goes down anyway - why not take the best holder available for the games when we have him, as well as a roster exemption (if indeed Vinny is the best guy for the job)?

That's the bottom line - BB will use the best holder he has available. It's too important a job.

He won't let a worst case scenario decision about whether Cassell or Vinny should be the emergency QB dictate his decision on something that is sure to affect many important point scoring plays in every game

Landetta?! Why don't they just sign me to punt? :(

Did Ken Walter beat you up in grade school or something?
:)

Never met the man. I'm sure he's a great guy. But his leg is shot. Done. Finis.

It was in 2003. When we were all thrilled he was gone only to have the horror of his re-signing a week later. Then it looked like he was gone forever when Miller solved the problem. Then . . . the horror.

Well now it's over. Until next year. And what a relief it is.

i think landeta should be better than walter but i havent seen this confirmed by any other outlets......still a wait and see type thing.

and will landeta hold for gostkowski or someone like cassel???

Why put Walter on IR? Just cut the bum!!

Why put Walter on IR? Just cut the bum!!

If he is hurt and they cut him then they would have to pay him an injury settlement on top of his salary for the year. It is easier just to put him on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes