Welcome to PatsFans.com

Walter Cronkite Dead

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by reflexblue, Jul 17, 2009.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +230 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

He was 92 years old, he retired when i was a kid but i remember him. He seemed like a truely reputable person. He didn't have much respect for todays news reporting i.e. to little fact to much opinion.

Former CBS anchor 'Uncle Walter' Cronkite dead at 92 - CNN.com

CNN) -- Walter Cronkite, the CBS anchorman known as "Uncle Walter" for his easygoing, measured delivery and "the most trusted man in America" for his rectitude and gravitas, has died, CBS reported Friday.

Cronkite was 92 years old.

His career spanned almost the entire 20th century, as well as the first decade of the 21st.
    He covered World War II's Battle of the Bulge, the Nuremberg trials, several presidential elections, moon landings, the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and the Watergate scandal of President Richard Nixon's administration.

At times he even made news: A 1977 question to then-Egyptian President Anwar Sadat about Sadat's intent to go to Israel -- at the time considered a nonstarter because of the lack of a treaty between the two countries -- received a surprising "yes" from the Egyptian leader. Soon after, Sadat traveled to Jerusalem, a trip that eventually led to the Camp David Accords, which included a peace deal between Israel and Egypt.

At his height of influence as CBS anchorman, Cronkite's judgment was believed so important it could affect even presidents. In early 1968, after the Tet Offensive, Cronkite traveled to Vietnam and gave a critical editorial calling the Vietnam War "mired in stalemate

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Darn, I almost picked him in the death pool.

3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +230 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I DID, I took him over Fog Buster........What do i win?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009