Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wall Street's political cash favors Democrats

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/financial_politics_wallstreet_dc

Wall Street has shifted its allegiance in the 2006 election cycle by donating more to Democrats than Republicans who have been the investment banks' usual benefactors, U.S.

Five leading firms Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Bear Stearns Companies Inc.,Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch & Co. and Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. have contributed $6.2 million so far to candidates before the November elections, with about 52 percent going to Democrats.

Despite being awash in record profits, Wall Street executives, investment bankers, brokers and traders may be getting weary of Republican control, Carroll said. President George W. Bush's polling numbers are low and growing violence in Iraq also weighs heavy on Republican leadership, he said.

Meredith McGehee, policy director at The Campaign Legal Center, said Wall Street also may be concerned about the U.S. deficit, which has ballooned during the Bush administration.

"The last time the deficit was under control was under the Democrats," McGehee said.

Democrats have been trying to claim the mantel of fiscal responsibility since Clinton came to office. It's interesting that Wall Street is starting to respond. Nancy Pelosi the other day pledged that a Democratic Congress would adapt a pay as you go approach to fiscal discipline.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

So now can we say that the Dems are corporate sell-outs since they're taking in the same cash the GOP has been historically ridiculed for accepting? My point is that these sleazeballs on the left and right don't care about who gives them the cash, all they care about is getting elected. Furthermore, those donating the cash are just trying to buy influence. My dad donates to candidates opposing each other in the same elections sometimes. He does it to buy some influence and good standing. Thats business I guess.

George Bush has done more to make government bankruptcy a possibility in my lifetime than I ever could have dreamed. What will half the country do when it can't function because the fed closed? HA! I can't wait. I'm going to sit on my front stairs with a 6 pack of beer and a bag full of popcorn.

Woohoo!

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

The Democrats have been corporate sellouts for a long time. I'm not saying it's good that the Democrats are in bed with Wall Street, but it's certainly good politics.

I think fiscal responsibility is an issue the Democrats want to own, and the Republicans have made a very big mistake on that front.

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Almost as good as exploiting the molestation of children.

We know how much the party sheeple on both sides sell there principles and common sense for politcal benefit. The funny part is how the two parties conspire to ensure that a thrid party never rises to significance. I've always wondered why they don't include them in national debates. To the credit of Taxachusetts, at least they allow the lesser parties a chance to express their views in an even setting. To bad the Big 2 wouldn't ever permit the same.

I agree 1,000%. What's sad though is that the Dems, with as aweful a job as the GOP is doing, STILL have no message. It's comical. You'd think that they would have secured 95 seats in the Senate by now, instead, they are hoping to "gain ground". What a Banana Republic we live in.

Quick, someone tell me what the Democratic party stands for, or what they propose to do......

EXACTLY! Now tell me what the GOP wants to do?

Terrorism...security....terrorism.....security....terrorism...

Terrorism and security are the Duct tape holding the GOP together. If whacky, out to left field loons like Pelosi, Dean, Kennedy, Kerry, etc...were booted from the Democratic party and replaced by sensible people, the Dems would landslide to victory. The problem is that they all have to swear alligence to the party and support each other. Sad. Had the GOP not been similarly dumb and insane, they'd have disintegrated the Dems forever. Please let us see some pissed off pols with brains break off and form a thrid party, please!

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I guarantee you Wall Street doesn't like a liberal government. This is a combination of :

- Anti spending of the Bush administration
    - Wanting the gridlock that a split government causes.
    - Wanting to get on the good side of the presumed new congressmen.

6. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You're absolutely right that they don't want a fiscally liberal government (I don't think they really care either way about gay marriage). The disconnect seems to be that Wall Street no longer equates Republicans with the conservative fiscal policies they want.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

I would put it differently, but yes, you're right.

Yes, I was impressed with the Massachusetts debate. I can see why Healey might have liked the idea, but it's not working out that way for her. I wonder why Deval allowed a debate like that.

I think it's strategic. Tip O'Neill said that all politics is local politics, and that's mostly how the Dems are running their various campaigns. While Iraq and other issues might be mentioned, the ads and speeches are mostly about local issues. I think in the next elections, the Dems will have a very clear and specific message.

Hillary has done some really interesting things. She has been very pro-veteran and in that regard even supported flag-burning legislation. She lost my vote in the primary by doing that, but she's really defining herself. Whether you like her or not, she's the one to watch to see which way the Democratic Party is going and if it has a message that can bring about the end of the Reagan era in 2008.

The liberals have done a dreadful job spelling out their beliefs on terrorism and security. Neither you nor I know know what they believe; we just have impressions. I think there's a more constructive approach to terrorism than the one Bush is using, and the liberals need to present that as a policy paper. They need to present a comprehensive plan to fight terrorism and increase security. I don't think that will happen until the presidential election, when one of the new wave of liberals (like Feingold) runs for office.

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

WANTED

[​IMG]

For crimes against fiscal sanity.

[​IMG]

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Interesting, or fony? She's the biggest fraud in the market. I pray that the Dems are stupid enough to give her the nomination. She will be torn to shredds just as she deserves to be. She's a criminal & fraud. Talk about a fony, she's just moving her image away from the bleeding heart loon liberal she really is, so that stupid people accross the country, who's vote unfortunately counts the same as mine, will look at her and think she's really "swell". HA! The GOP will tear her to shreds. When she was first lady, she was off limits, but as a national candidate, the gloves are certainly coming off. If the First Lesbian (my barber's name for her, not my view, but I think it's funny) is the best the Dems can do they are in worse trouble than I thought.

They do have a comprehensive plan on paper. It's right here...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

Hillary's biggest problem is that the right-wing has defined her. I don't know to what extent she can overcome that, but she's very smart. A lot of people think she's a phony, and she'll also have to overcome that. But, that's less of a problem because the basis for thinking her a phony doesn't really exist.

Now, now, your leaping to assumptions about both liberals and Muslims. You might start by looking at F.B.N.'s thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=43041

11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

You and i have discussed this a few times over the past few years. My contention was that if the Democrats could convince America they are better able to balance the budget and/or secure America then the G.O.P. would be sent reeling.

The democrats are closer than ever to getting this done. Now, if they could just get their message out we would have a real political battle and Americans would vote for or against the person as opposed to party...hey, I'm optimistic this will happen...because it's what the country needs.

12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

The Street is checking the odds and hedging their positions politically. The dirty secret is that when the dems talk about sticking to the rich they aren't talking about Soros, Kennedy, Rockerfeller, Kohl, Kerry Corzine or the super rich. They contribute and are taken care of. The dems hose the small businessman making $100-$500k/yr.

Wall street doesn't care who wins as long as they can buy them off. Sort of like earlier businessmen in the early 20th paid protection to the mafia to be left alone.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

The lefty in you is finally coming out :)

14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Now I'm confused Patters :confused: