Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wal-Mart telling its employees to vote against pro-worker candidates like Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Aug 20, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Wal-Mart telling its employees to vote against pro-worker candidates like Barack Obama who support the Employee Free Choice Act, more than 60,000 people signed the petition, which was delivered along with a formal complaint filed by American Rights at Work .

Sources:

Unions Seek Probe of Wal-Mart Over Election Law
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121867433681738991.html?mod=hpp_us_whats_news

Groups to File Complaint Against Wal-Mart
    http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/groups-to-file-complaint-against-wal-mart/

Unions seek Wal-Mart probe over election law: report
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/14/AR2008081400053.html

U.S. groups file election complaint against Wal-Mart
    http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1445934420080814?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

If we ever have have nuclear war, send the first volley to Bentonville, AK. What a horrible company. Part of their health care program is to show their employees how to sign up for Medicare...that's not a joke either.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +428 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

And Unions always tell their employees to vote Democrat. Like the jobs or not, if a President helped the Wal Mart employees to Unionize they would very likely lose some jobs.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

As a former Union Official, every Republican Gov. I ever worked for was against unions and tried to bust them... they continue to this day. So the logic follows that they support Democrats.. people forget every contract is agreed to by both sides.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

The dems are pushing for non secret ballots, So Union thugs can intimidate the workers. They are p*ssed that <10% of private sector workers are Union.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +428 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

That's basically irrelevant to what I said. I used Unions as an example of a big powerful entity telling it's employees what to do just as Wal Mart is. Now, if Wal Mart wanted proof it's employees voted for McCain or they'd be fired that's different. But encouraging them to vote one way, there's nothing wrong with that.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

This goes both ways Wes. Unions spend money on dem candidates, and against pubs. It should be up to the employer, and not the employee, as to whether or not they want to be unionized. In 2000, I had some reps from the local 22 approach me about going union. Needless to say, I didn't appreciate the stories they told me, about why I should.
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +881 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

My wife is a manager at a Stop & Shop ... a union company ... everything that comes in the mail has Obama's grill on it. :confused:
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

No you did not here is what you said, not sure about the above..

10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

Stick to the point BF...you ALWAYS wanna turn every attack on a company into a counter attack on liberals...or in this case, unions.

The point is, Wal-Mart treats their employees like crap. They are a terrible company and an embaressment to this country...

And the MAIN point is a company can not tell their employees who to not vote for...EVER! You know that, so why aren't you speaking up against this action?

It is ok to slam corporations from time to time BF...try it, it feels awesome.

BUT THEY SURE HAVE CHEAP PRICES!:cool:
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

"It should be up to the employer, and not the employee, as to whether or not they want to be unionized" That was the most retarded comment I've ever read from you.

Unions are supposed to protect employees from abuses by the employer...hence the term UNION (of workers not of employees). Why do you think people are losing benefits over the past 25 years? Because unions have been weakened. I realize they are often wasteful and counterproductive, but it didn't start out that way. Like anything, corruption takes hold. But we never want all power in the hands of the employer.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +428 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Wal Mart has very low profit margins - if their costs were to go up through Unionization it would very likely cost jobs.
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

I don't blame any corp for not wanting to be unionized. My main point is that Wal-Mart's cheap prices come at the expense of their workers. If they ever started to tank, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

If there is one retailer that would be great to see be unionized, it would be Wal-Mart. Who cares if it costs jobs at Wal-Mart, it would just shift them elsewhere.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

Should people voting on whether to be unionized be entitled to a secret ballot???
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +428 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Not necessarily, they could just be jobs lost. Big companies have a way of increasing productivity as needed, whether through automation, efficiency or whatever.
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

Are you serious? Of course it has to be secret. Do you think people should be fired if they want a union? That's why we have laws protecting organizing labor unions.

If a vote on a union failed and a company had a list of how people voted, they would fire them. And we all know that's not a good reason to fire someone.

I really can't believe you even asked that question. it doesn't reflect your usual level of intellect.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

The reason I raised the issue is that the dems in congress are trying to remove the protection of the secret ballot and make votes on unionization public...

Glad you believe in the secrret ballot sme dem don't. ;)
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +428 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Some of us saw PR walking into that one - I wanted to yell "look out" but it was too late :D
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Last I checked there were labor laws that protect employees. The days of 12 year olds working 16 hour days, no restrooms for employees, nor any safety standards to speak of, are over. My point is that an owner should not be forced to employ a unionized workforce. If Jessica Alba Inc. doesn't want to deal with a union, then it shouldn't have to. Jessica Alba Inc still has to abide by the labor laws, codes, rules, and regulations mandated by the gumbit, regardless. While I've always maintained that the cause behind a union is noble, unions themselves are no different than corporations. They're both generally evil, scum sucking organizations that I don't personally care for. However, I believe in an owners rights, just as I do a states, and an individuals, so long as all obey the law. If Wal-Marts employee's decide they want to unionize, Walmart should be able to flash them the finger if it so chooses. Ultimately it is the owner's capital at risk, and not that of those which whom he/she pays.

I don't think that's all that retarded. ;)

Afterall, who wouldn't want to work on, ahem, I mean for, Jessica Alba Incorporated?

[​IMG]
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Seeing this pic positioned right above my sig, made me wonder something. Is the name Jessica the hottest name in Hollywood right now? Mmmmmm...to think my post is being sandwiched by two hot Jessica's....