Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wal Mart Backs Drive to make companies provide health insurance...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jul 1, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Not sure why, but they are pretty much endorsing the Obama Medical Insurance plan... maybe it is corporate guilt, or maybe they will start their own insurance company.. there has to be something in it for them.. most of the other retail giants were "flabbergasted"....

Wal-Mart Backs Drive to Make Companies Pay for Health Coverage - WSJ.com

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 5 / -8

Darryl, as to why - it's probably the same play Philip Morris is making on the tobacco legislation: The biggest company in a given sector that landed on its feet during the last downturn embraces a government initiative seemingly inimical to its interests, betting that it's even worse for a smaller company already closer to the brink, and therefore stands to scoop up the market share of competitors that can't adapt.

The other possibility is they did the math and realized that all in all, employers are going to get a boost out of the competitive and streamlining aspects of the program. They may even have a "pipe dream" of getting govt off their back, in the form of govt (single-payer) health care, although nobody envisions that option except our fringe righties.

PFnV
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

"inimical".. can honestly say never heard that word before, would like to say could add it to my vocabularly.. but will probably forget it 1/2 hour after I sign off...
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Isn't this part more the Mitt Romney Plan ? I'm not from Mass so I don't know his "required insurance" as well as you guys.

I have no problem with requiring companies to offer insurance or requiring individuals to buy it (I know Romney did that too). But keep the Public Plan OUT because it will eat the private insurance and end with a single payer.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

OK...
    Who are you and what did you do with BelichickFan?
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think I've been consistent on this given that they if someone chooses not to get insurance then taxpayers have to pay for it. If those who chose not to buy insurance got nothing if something happened then I wouldn't support mandating it.
  7. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Change out "got nothing" with "pays for everything"...choose not to buy insurance then you choose to pay for all care you should have to receive if you need medical help.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Right, what I meant was "if you can buy insurance and don't, you're on your own". If we're going to pay for their healthcare anyway then we have to require them to get insurance.
  9. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This may be the reason, agree to this deal since it is more palatable to them than other options being considered:

"Wal-Mart's support for a broad mandate also appears to be aimed at beating back an alternative that may be less favorable to the company. The Senate Finance Committee is considering a measure expected to result in a more burdensome health-insurance requirement for companies that have lower-wage workers. The company's letter said: "any alternative to an employer mandate should not create barriers to hiring entry level employees."
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Since when do we care what Walmart thinks? :confused2:
  11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That's derived from the word "Cominimical" which in this case means Wal Mart knows which side its bread is buttered on and the feigned sacrifice they are projecting is a f'ing joke.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Do not care all that much, but when the world's largest retail corp does something others that is out of character it is odd and others may follow.... there is a need for sometype of health insurance, we either pay now or pay on the back end...
  13. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

wal-mart is hedging its bets hoping that doing the employer required thing will be sufficient to keep any kind of government run health care system that will force health care benefits to be taxable.............since that would really screw their employees who don't make that much but would have to pay taxes on their health care.........which means they will either have to pay them more or have more difficulty hiring/keeping people

wal-mart doesn't do anything for the sake of anyone else.......
  14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wal mart pays better than the burgoise health food co-op around here.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there.