PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wake Up The Dead: Patriots Upstairs (Ernie!!) Misses Another Bad Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we normally see other coaches do around the league in this situation is to take a timeout, TBS.

That allows the replay to be reviewed on-air another 3-4+ times, where someone in the review booth usually buzzes down and notifies the ref.

Certainly makes sense. I think the likeliest explanation is BB erred, and the whole challenge mechanism needs to be improved (the best alternate explanation I have is BB didn't want to risk giving the Jets a timeout opportunity to regroup/setup that next BIG play).

Certainly makes sense. I think the likeliest explanation is BB erred, and the whole challenge mechanism needs to be improved (the best alternate explanation I have is BB didn't want to risk giving the Jets a timeout opportunity to regroup/setup that next BIG play).

I think your alternative explanation is worth considering as well. He may have felt it beneficial to make them continuing to hurry. Of course, the extra yardage from the phantom catch alone would likely offset any benefit that may show though, especially when the Jets were trying to get into a small window (40 yard line or closer), as anything outside of that window would mean that the game was over.

not to mention the brutal play calling on the Pats last possession. 3 terrible running plays when all you needed was to trust in Tom to throw for a first down, and run out the clock. The way the D was getting shredded on the running game, it was a terrible decision to give the Jets the ball back with a chance to win it with a field goal
If we threw an incomplete pass the jets world have had 40 seconds more and we would have lost.

We can complain about our team's decisions up and down, but the worst decision in that game was Rex's choice for an onside kick. He gave up 30 yards of field position for a slim chance of getting the ball back right away. They were more than likely going to get the ball back with just over a minute either way, but his choice gave them the ball inside the 20 instead if the 30 or 40. Rex Ryan in a nutshell.

We can complain about our team's decisions up and down, but the worst decision in that game was Rex's choice for an onside kick. He gave up 30 yards of field position for a slim chance of getting the ball back right away. They were more than likely going to get the ball back with just over a minute either way, but his choice gave them the ball inside the 20 instead if the 30 or 40. Rex Ryan in a nutshell.
I bet you were BS when Rex did that...

As to the onside kick, LaFell came perilously close to being the Goat. Perfectly kicked and well chased, the ball bounced off LaFell's shin. It's miraculous that the Pats managed to cover the kick as there were several Jesters right there.

In retrospect there are many really little things that make the difference between a W or a L.

Actually, I think the Pats would have thrown more had Rex kicked deep as getting a first down would have become more important than burning an additional 40 seconds with the expectation that the Jets would have a shorter field (and thus need less time) should the Pats have to punt from deep in their own territory.

Actually, I think the Pats would have thrown more had Rex kicked deep as getting a first down would have become more important than burning an additional 40 seconds with the expectation that the Jets would have a shorter field (and thus need less time) should the Pats have to punt from deep in their own territory.

Yes , but in that scenario you have the option of an incomplete pass stopping the clock. The odds of stopping the Pats after kicking it deep were better than getting the onside kick.

But the point is, if the Pats were pinned deep in their own territory and had to punt, the Jets would have had plenty of time to get into field goal position, with or without an incomplete pass by the Pats. In that case, the Pats probably throw and improve their chances of getting a first down, which ends the game.

Sort of OT, but related to the whole idea of "org effectiveness": did anyone else notice Patriot players slipping around a little again? On one play in particular Gronk went to the ground like someone pulled a rug out from under him. Either the equipment manager is an embedded Jet or he just plain stinks at his job.

Sort of OT, but related to the whole idea of "org effectiveness": did anyone else notice Patriot players slipping around a little again? On one play in particular Gronk went to the ground like someone pulled a rug out from under him. Either the equipment manager is an embedded Jet or he just plain stinks at his job.

Yes. I'd commented on this elsewhere. Watched Pats D players fall flat on their faces time & again chasing Geno who never slipped, nor did other Jets players.

Officiating has been brutal. The two biggest gaffes in this game were calling illegal contact on a play where it was explicitly impossible, wiping out a near game sealing sack, as well as erroneously stopping the clock even though the receiver was pushed backwards before falling out of bounds. Not even bothering with the pretense of a review after a questionable catch on NY's final drive was another blatant mistake.

It wouldn't be hard to postulate that the refs are coached to massage the game to create the most exciting outcome.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be hard to postulate that the refs are coached to massage the game to create the most exciting outcome.

If so, they're doing a good job: 5 out of 14 week 7 games to date decided by 2 points or less, 6 by 3 or less:

Chiefs 23, Chargers 20
Rams 28, Seahawks 26
Patriots 27, Jets 25
Redskins 19, Titans 17
Lions 24, Saints 23
Bills 17, Vikings 16

Given that 4 games were essentially decided before halftime (Colts-Bengals, Packers-Panthers, Broncos-49ers and Ravens-Falcons), the majority of games that were being contested at all came down to the wire.

Officiating has been brutal. The two biggest gaffes in this game were calling illegal contact on a play where it was explicitly impossible, wiping out a near game sealing sack, as well as erroneously stopping the clock even though the receiver was pushed backwards before falling out of bounds. Not even bothering with the pretense of a review after another questionable catch on NY's final drive was another blatant mistake.

Also awarding Geno a first down when he clearly was short of it by a foot or two in going out of bounds.

Also awarding Geno a first down when he clearly was short of it by a foot or two in going out of bounds.

That didn't bother me much. It was pretty close and I doubt NE would have stopped them had they gone for it on 4th down.

But handing a team a free timeout with 30 seconds left in a comeback attempt? Sorry, I can't accept that.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill