PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wake Up The Dead: Patriots Upstairs (Ernie!!) Misses Another Bad Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another call I think they missed. The swing pass to Ivory where he got knocked out at the one. I thought he was moving forward when the ball was snapped. Allowed him to turn the corner after catching it.

not to mention the brutal play calling on the Pats last possession. 3 terrible running plays when all you needed was to trust in Tom to throw for a first down, and run out the clock. The way the D was getting shredded on the running game, it was a terrible decision to give the Jets the ball back with a chance to win it with a field goal

not to mention the brutal play calling on the Pats last possession. 3 terrible running plays when all you needed was to trust in Tom to throw for a first down, and run out the clock. The way the D was getting shredded on the running game, it was a terrible decision to give the Jets the ball back with a chance to win it with a field goal
McDaniels woulda been ripped to shreds here if they passed it and failed.

I disagree. They only needed to stop the Jets passing game. If the Jets ran, the clock would run down on them. I like the offensive play calling, but I would have liked a tighter defense. Make Geno best you down the field.

That Geno spot was AWFUL. The foot out of bounds catch the Jets made on their last drive was another terrible missed call.

And even though our first drive ended with a TD, they missed a blatant horse collar tackle to bring down LaFell.

HelpfulSmugAfricanwilddog.gif

The no-call on the shove to Brady was ridiculous as well. For all the idiot fans of other teams who complain about Brady and the Pats gets all the calls - you have NO idea.

Last edited:

I would've liked to see end-around to Edelman or a screen pass to Vereen

Then the announcers are morons, because no challenges are allowed, by rule, during the final two minutes of a half. [And, BTW, throwing the challenge flag when you're not allowed to is a 15-yard penalty.]

There's a Jim Schwartz rule now. No more 15 yard penalty for that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/nfl-passes-jim-schwartz-rule/

Last edited:
Exactly right. The officials blew that one (surprise, surprise) not the coaching staff.

i was amazed the booth didn't elect to look at that "catch" - the ball was clearly moving with a foot out of bounds.....he did not secure that ball in bounds, wasn't even close

I initially thought the gino spot was bad, but i think it was at best an inconclusive review after watching it a few times

The coaching as a whole was as bad as I've seen it. The sad thing is I feel like I'm saying that more and more this year. The defensive gameplan for almost three quarters of the game was god awful. Off man and zone constantly, which yielded easy third down conversions on 3rd and 11 and 3rd and 4 at critical points of the game. The offense was too conservative when it needed a first down the most. And the upstairs blew two challenges they should have made on bad spots. Because of all that, we had to escape against an inferior team.

When I saw that play (live), I thought the spot was a foot short of the first down marker as Geno held the ball out to his right. The ball is short of the first down when his body crosses the out of bounds plain. But, when his foot contacts out of bounds territory, the spot would have been right (It hurts to say that)

But here's the rule (feel free to interpret)
Inbounds Spot
Article 3
The Inbounds Spot is a spot 70 feet 9 inches in from the sideline on the yard line passing through the spot where the ball or a runner is out of bounds between the goal lines.
Under certain conditions, the ball is dead in a side zone or has been placed there as a result of a penalty. See 7-6-2.

Note: Ordinarily the out-of-bounds spot is the spot where the ball crossed a sideline. However, if a ball, while still within a boundary line, is declared out of bounds because of touching anything that is out of bounds, the out-of-bounds spot is on the yard through the spot of the ball at the instant of such touching.
.​
Ruling: Not out of bounds. The runner is not out of bounds until he touches anything other than a player, an official, or a pylon on or outside the boundary line. Position of the ball is determined by its position when the runner touches out of bounds.

perhaps, but if the Jets had made that field goal, he should be ripped to shreds for giving them the chance.

perhaps, but if the Jets had made that field goal, he should be ripped to shreds for giving them the chance.

And this is why most of the complaints about coordinators are idiotic.

Tonight, we have a catch made out of bounds with no ball control, no 'football move', yet that doesn't get so much as a review. Why?

Just for the record, a "football move" is no longer part of the definition of a reception. In either 2012 or 2013 the rule changed to say that the receiver needed to control and possess the ball long enough to have done a "football move", but does not actually have to do it.

I'm not a huge fan of the super conservative play calling to give the other team a shot. That said, it does give your team the highest chance of winning the game, as it forces the opposition to drive the entire length of the field with as little time as possible.

I will say that the decision to PITCH the ball to Vereen (and a bad pitch at that) literally made me scream out loud though.

I still think I would've gone with a bunch/trips formation to one side and thrown a bubble screen with a couple of blockers out in front in an attempt to pick up the first down. I don't know how much worse than a pitch to the wrong side/arm could've been.

i was amazed the booth didn't elect to look at that "catch" - the ball was clearly moving with a foot out of bounds.....he did not secure that ball in bounds, wasn't even close

Yeah, that play had the potential to lose the whole game for us on the last drive.

Definitely need to take a timeout in that kind of important situation if the refs/review booth are going to let you down. We see coaches call timeout all the time to allow them a better look at it.

Why not both?

The officiating shouldn't be so terrible that this is an issue.

Refs = real time human error.

Pats booth = 20+ seconds to review on video something from 3 angles. The Jets did not hurry up to the line for the next snap.

Very different level of blame there.

Refs = real time human error.

Pats booth = 20+ seconds to review on video something from 3 angles. The Jets did not hurry up to the line for the next snap.

Very different level of blame there.
The officials simply have to apply the rules. The Patriots' booth has to weigh far more than just the correctness of a call. I'm guessing challenging spots has a pretty poor return.

The officials simply have to apply the rules. The Patriots' booth has to weigh far more than just the correctness of a call. I'm guessing challenging spots has a pretty poor return.

We're talking about a spot, not about a rule. It is a real time eyesight thing.

The ref had to see it in real time. The booth had the luxury of 3 angles and rewind for 20+ seconds.

I don't see where you feel there is an equivalence there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes