Wake Up The Dead: Patriots Upstairs (Ernie!!) Misses Another Bad Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
That one was terrible, yes.

The REAL missed call that could have very well cost us the game was on the final drive when the Jets player had his foot on the OOB line as he caught the ball.

Even the announcers pointed out that Belichick should challenge it. What the hell did he have to lose? We had timeouts remaining. Last time I checked you can't carry them over to the next game.

These challenge calls (or lack thereof) from Belichick and staff are very, very concerning.

If they want to give themselves the best chance at winning down the line, they have to tighten up on the obvious brainfarts in their organization.

This has occurred 3 games in a ROW now.
Yes, the system they currently have in place is not effective enough.

I hate to question much of their successful ways, but they do miss a lot of potential challenges--and tonight's seriously could have bit them in the ass.

I'd like to see another view of that Jets catch on the left sideline during the last drive, but it sure looked like he had his foot on the line when he caught the ball. Like I said, it was enough to where the announcers commented that Belichick may want to challenge.

I think it's an obvious weakness in our game that needs tightening up, especially from someone like BB who is a freak about trying not to repeat mistakes as much as possible.

That one was terrible, yes.

The REAL missed call that could have very well cost us the game was on the final drive when the Jets player had his foot on the OOB line as he caught the ball.

Even the announcers pointed out that Belichick should challenge it. What the hell did he have to lose? We had timeouts remaining. Last time I checked you can't carry them over to the next game.

These challenge calls (or lack thereof) from Belichick and staff are very, very concerning.

Then the announcers are morons, because no challenges are allowed, by rule, during the final two minutes of a half. [And, BTW, throwing the challenge flag when you're not allowed to is a 15-yard penalty.]

Then the announcers are morons, because no challenges are allowed, by rule, during the final two minutes of a half. [And, BTW, throwing the challenge flag when you're not allowed to is a 15-yard penalty.]

Exactly right. The officials blew that one (surprise, surprise) not the coaching staff.

In his defense the announcers said it should be reviewed.

On THAT one, I believe Nantz and/or Simms was suggesting that the officials should do an automatic review, not Belichick to challenge.

But back to the subject of THIS thread. The example originally given happened with 3:30 left in the 2nd quarter and was fully challengeable.

I don't know if they suggested that Belichick challenge it or simply said something along the lines of "they may want to take another look at that one." I shouldn't have assumed their wording, but they definitely did point it out.

At any rate, it was an important call that could've hurt us, and possibly even lost the game.

As shmessy pointed out, it wasn't the only one that was fairly obvious. We tend to see these fairly often that their system deserves to be questioned at this point. It's obviously flawed. They aren't able to react quickly enough like most of the other teams do.

EDIT: I was at the game here in Pittsburgh in 2011 when Gronk clearly scored and Belichick's excuse was that he couldn't see it from his angle. That's a piss poor excuse, especially when we supposedly have someone (assuming that it's maybe E.Adams) who is on top of these things.

We tend to see these fairly often that their system deserves to be questioned at this point. It's obviously flawed. They aren't able to react quickly enough like most of the other teams do.

I think a better explanation of this is that Belichick doesn't like to risk time outs, but the risk/reward system should be considered a bit more in my opinion, particularly on important calls.

Yep, the spot on the Geno run and the catch near the end bothered me as well. But there's nothing the coaches can do about the latter.

Yep, the spot on the Geno run and the catch near the end bothered me as well. But there's nothing the coaches can do about the latter.

Agreed, although in this case I think I may have called a time out which would have given them more time to review it. Like I said, you can't take them home with you. We definitely see other coaches call timeout to allow the officials a longer/better look at the play. I'd have to say that we probably see it just about every game in certain situations.

At any rate, it's not meant to question someone so insanely successful,
but it has been enough of a problem where they need to be a bit more open minded or "practice" these kinds of reactionary situations from a coaching standpoint.

The Patriots are at the wrong end of those 'benefit of the doubt' type calls all the time. I've got to the point where I do not react to them anymore. I expect them. Does anyone really believe Browner will be allowed to play defense this year? All these receivers got to do is act like they are interfered with.

Gronk gets both feat down (in-bounds) with control of the ball, runs, has it knocked loose and then recovers. So.. incomplete. If Buffalo recovers that, I can't help but feel like they watch the video for about an hour and call it a fumble.

Tonight, we have a catch made out of bounds with no ball control, no 'football move', yet that doesn't get so much as a review. Why?

Why do the refs make so many assumptions when they make calls? Why does a ref who didn't watch the field goal kick go over his head call it good, clearly not knowing one way or the other? Why can Gronk draw a flag for DPI and still not get the call? Questions that will remain unanswered.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, do we know for sure that Ernie Adams is watching for the replays upstairs? I know that many of us have made that assumption, but I was just wondering if that's been 100 percent proven or spoken of at any point?

If so, one would have to assume that he's got the live game television feed on.

While we're at it, does anyone know what the "IVR" phone stands for? I know that we've seen a few phones in the background at times. One that says "E.Adams," and one that says "IVR," or "IV-R." Just wondering aloud, since there are so many knowledgeable posters here.

My only guess is that they figured the Jets would have gone for it on fourth down and had little faith the Pats would have stopped it.

I think a better explanation of this is that Belichick doesn't like to risk time outs, but the risk/reward system should be considered a bit more in my opinion, particularly on important calls.

My only guess is that they figured the Jets would have gone for it on fourth down and had little faith the Pats would have stopped it.

That's your answer right there. BB has to weigh the probability that he gets the call on review. That should be pretty decent, let's say 75%. Then he needs to weigh the probability that they get the stop on 4th and less than 1, say 40%, assuming they go for it. You might think that there is nothing to lose, but the upside is a routine conversion with ultimate success unlikely, whereas the downside is not just a blown challenge and a timeout, but even if you win the initial challenge, any subsequent challenge has to be won, if you want to keep a check on the refs general incompetence. That limits the ability to challenge big calls later in the game, when you might not have the time to get a good look and be sure. The refs are going to blow more than two calls a game, so there's some reason to be selective when the stakes are not that high.

That said, I do think that was worth a challenge. The game was half gone, and the 1st half timeouts aren't as valuable. With 2:30 left, there wasn't going to be another chance to challenge until the 2nd half. There was plenty of time to see that the spot was bad.

You have to call a timeout there. The Jets hurried to the line and the booth doesn't have a lot of time to review the play. There's nothing illegal with calling a timeout. Walking over to the ref and saying; "He didn't catch that ball."

Just out of curiosity, do we know for sure that Ernie Adams is watching for the replays upstairs? I know that many of us have made that assumption, but I was just wondering if that's been 100 percent proven or spoken of at any point?

If so, one would have to assume that he's got the live game television feed on.

While we're at it, does anyone know what the "IVR" phone stands for? I know that we've seen a few phones in the background at times. One that says "E.Adams," and one that says "IVR," or "IV-R." Just wondering aloud, since there are so many knowledgeable posters here.
The REAL question is who is Ernie Adams? In my opinion he's a vigilante and I think there's no room for vigilantism in today's world. I believe he's a menace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes