PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wake Up Folks, Our Offense Lost It, Not Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offense - #1 all year; Worst output of the season
Defense - Couldn't stop Giants from going 80+yds when it counted most
Coaching - for not making the appropriate adjustments at half time

I only read the first page of responses, but look- The offense scored at the end of the game to give us the lead, and the defense couldn't step up. Simple as that. The offense scored when it was needed, the defense failed to stop the Giants offense and choked away this game. I don't care how few points they held them to for the first 58 minutes, it doesn't matter. When it was needed, the D couldn't get the job done, the O could. End of story.

Last edited:
I only read the first page of responses, but look- The offense scored at the end of the game to give us the lead, and the defense couldn't step up. Simple as that. The offense scored when it was needed, the defense failed to stop the Giants offense and choked away this game. I don't care how few points they held them to for the first 58 minutes. When it was needed, the D couldn't get the job done, the O could. End of story.

if our offense had performed the defense never would have been in that situation in the 1st place. it took a miracle catch by tyree to beat them too.

they also have power backs that can run in traffic. maroney only gets yards when there are massive holes and he can get thru the line untouched. faulk is a receiver. morris was the best of the 3. and we all know how well dillon kept our drives alive when he was in his prime.

Yeah, 2004 and the Jets playoff game, haha.

the defense was struggling towards the end of the season, especially in the middle. people complaining about manning, boller, and company have a point: we gave up the middle a lot.

but i thought that was just holding back the good plays until the superbowl.

guess not.

our defense is amazing, but it's still the weak link. our offensive line had enough good games in the regular season to save itself (probably). laurence maroney is good, but i wouldnt trust him with 20+ carries every game. b/c im not sold on sammy yet, i wouldnt mind seeing a running back taken later in the draft or free agency.

if we dont keep roosevelt, i want a new speed demon at linebacker ASAP

if our offense had performed the defense never would have been in that situation in the 1st place. it took a miracle catch by tyree to beat them too.

Don't blame the offense for not scoring 40 in the Super Bowl, that's just ridiculous. The offense did just fine, they kept us in the game. Then, when it mattered most, they did their jobs. They drove down the field at the end of the game, put up seven points to give us the lead, and put us in position to win the game.

The Defense, however, could not do their jobs when it actually mattered. They had to stop one drive and they couldn't do it. They choked, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Don't blame the offense for not scoring 40 in the Super Bowl, that's just ridiculous. The offense did just fine, they kept us in the game. Then, when it mattered most, they did their jobs. They drove down the field at the end of the game, put up seven points to give us the lead, and put us in position to win the game.

The Defense, however, could not do their jobs when it actually mattered. They had to stop one drive and they couldn't do it. They choked, plain and simple.

did i say 40? how about matching their worst performance to that date of 20? i also question the "did their jobs when it mattered most" claim too. they left nearly 3 mins on the clock for the giants last drive. 3 mins + 3 TOs left is a ton of time. a real running game whittles time left down to nothing. and they also had 35 seconds where all they need to do was get in field goal range after the giants scored. and what happened there? brady sacked with from a 3 man rush. 2 throws downfield to an apathetic looking moss.
yeah they did their jobs all right ... from the giants perspective, that is.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with you. You can't score 14 points and expect to win.

I would prioritize upgrading the right side of the Offensive line.
Hochstein was a turnstile, and Brady was pressured all day long.

Just one good guard or tackle on that right side can really make a big difference. The Giants DL was beating upt he Pats OL on straight up man assignments. What I don't understand is why the Pats didn't kick in more tight end help. I guess that doesn't work so well if they also pressure you right up the gut. It was a sorry performance.

I believe that a very good guard or tackle can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft if you scout well. For example McNeil was a 2nd round pick for the Chargers.

My first ever comment.
When we got the ball back with 30+ seconds left I never doubted we would tie the game with a field goal and win in overtime.
What happened? Why didn't we? I don't think it was Tom trying those really long passes. I think the coaches made him do that.
Hi everyone.

Look it isn't just this year, it is the past 3 years. And who is it that couldn't get the job done each time: Brady.

What else do they have in common, they are all games at the end of the year. I believe that Brady does have a persistent shoulder injury that either gets re-aggravated by a hit, or just by heavy use. I have no idea why he doesn't fix it, maybe it would take more than a year to heal. Who knows.

Yes the Oline sucked, the D ran out of gas, but if Brady had hit Moss just once at the end of the game, we would have won. But he was out of it even before the game started, and he started to get hit. You could see it when he was putting his helmet on. His throws were high, in the wrong place, or too short/long.

He was out of the game on the sideline. Now either he was sulking or he knew there was nothing he could do to make a change (injury). He had the same problem against SD, at the time I thought he was sulking, but I can't see him carrying on like that at the SB. I think the ankle/boot was a very public, plausible diversion, to stop people asking 'why' about his SD performance. I am sure his ankle was injured but they drew attention to it, rather than hide it, which is how the Pats operate.

Three years in a row Mr. Clutch has tanked in the most important game of the season. Two were interceptions and the third was off target. I don't think he has lost it, or that he doesn't care or doesn't prepare - I think he is physically unable. Obviously it comes and goes, because he has had a league best season.

And if thats true and he can't or won't fix it, we need to improve on both O and D so that we can score when he is down, and then the D can keep the lead.

Perhaps thats why the coaches didn't really do a lot or pay attention to the offense. And the Oline knew they were just going through the motions cause Brady could barely throw. Of course you would have thought they would have committed to the run in that case, but maybe they felt there was no time for that, cause of how long the Giants took on their drives.

The offensive line was on their heels almost the whole game. The thought among the coaches must have that that at any given moment, we would burn the Giants Defense with a long play and at that moment the tide would turn and their defense would be on their heels instead. We all waited and that never really happened.

Look it isn't just this year, it is the past 3 years. And who is it that couldn't get the job done each time: Brady.

What else do they have in common, they are all games at the end of the year. I believe that Brady does have a persistent shoulder injury that either gets re-aggravated by a hit, or just by heavy use. I have no idea why he doesn't fix it, maybe it would take more than a year to heal. Who knows.

Yes the Oline sucked, the D ran out of gas, but if Brady had hit Moss just once at the end of the game, we would have won. But he was out of it even before the game started, and he started to get hit. You could see it when he was putting his helmet on. His throws were high, in the wrong place, or too short/long.

He was out of the game on the sideline. Now either he was sulking or he knew there was nothing he could do to make a change (injury). He had the same problem against SD, at the time I thought he was sulking, but I can't see him carrying on like that at the SB. I think the ankle/boot was a very public, plausible diversion, to stop people asking 'why' about his SD performance. I am sure his ankle was injured but they drew attention to it, rather than hide it, which is how the Pats operate.

Three years in a row Mr. Clutch has tanked in the most important game of the season. Two were interceptions and the third was off target. I don't think he has lost it, or that he doesn't care or doesn't prepare - I think he is physically unable. Obviously it comes and goes, because he has had a league best season.

And if thats true and he can't or won't fix it, we need to improve on both O and D so that we can score when he is down, and then the D can keep the lead.

Perhaps thats why the coaches didn't really do a lot or pay attention to the offense. And the Oline knew they were just going through the motions cause Brady could barely throw. Of course you would have thought they would have committed to the run in that case, but maybe they felt there was no time for that, cause of how long the Giants took on their drives.

the guy threw it 75 yards in the air 2x in the last seconds. could he do that w/ a serious shoulder problem like rotator cuff injury?

They are both to blame.

The offense scored only 14 points...
But the offense was clutch.

The defense only allowed 17...
But was anything but clutch.

That's about as succinct as I've heard it put, Joe. Well spoken.

Couldn't agree more with you. You can't score 14 points and expect to win.

There were 23 regular-season games and 2 postseasons games (25 total) in which a team scored exactly 14 points. Only in one of them did that team win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes