Welcome to PatsFans.com

Waging War, One Police Precinct at a Time

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 4 / -2

Interesting op-ed from a US soldier returning from Iraq. It was in the NYT, which means you'd need to register to read it, so i posted the article in its entirety in another forum I moderate. So you can read it all here:

http://www.planetxapps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2467#2467

Op-Ed Contributor

Waging War, One Police Precinct at a Time

By PHILLIP CARTER
    Published: October 15, 2006
    Los Angeles

THE military’s new counterinsurgency manual offers a great deal of wisdom for those who will wage the small wars of the future. Its prescriptions and paradoxes — like the maxim that the more force used, the less effective it is — make sense. However, having spent the last year advising a provincial police headquarters in Iraq, I know it’s far easier to write about such wars than to fight them.

The war I knew was infinitely more complex, contradictory and elusive than the one described in the network news broadcasts or envisioned in the new field manual. When I finally left Baquba, the violent capital of Iraq’s Diyala Province, I found myself questioning many aspects of our mission and our accomplishments, both in a personal search for meaning and a quest to gather lessons that might help those soldiers who will follow me.

The first question was how Iraq in September 2006 differed from that of October 2005. Our Iraqi interpreters told us things were better than last year, which in turn had been better than 2004, when American forces frequently fought pitched battles in Baquba. Yet, sometimes in the same breath, they would long for the days of stability and order under Saddam Hussein.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/15/opinion/15carter.html?_r=2&oref=login&oref=login
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the link!

"This paradox raises fundamental questions about the wisdom and efficacy of our strategy, which is to “stand up†Iraqi security forces so we can “stand down†American forces. Put simply, this plan is a blueprint for withdrawal, not for victory. Improving the Iraqi Army and police is necessary to prevail in Iraq; it is not sufficient. "

exactly!
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Interesting article. IMO from day 1 the idea was to make the Iraqi military and police self sufficent. Ultimately if the Iraqi's don't buy into the goveremnt they elected, they won't succeed.