PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wade's block on Harrison deemed legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/01/nfl_legal_block.html

January 01, 2007
NFL: legal block

NFL Director of Offiating Mike Pereira reviewed the block of Titans wide receiver Bobby Wade on Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, and deemed it to be legal.

The league's vice president of communications, Greg Aiello, confirmed Pereira's ruling today. Pereira ruled that Wade was blocking upfield and not back toward the ball. Because of that, it wasn't determined by the NFL to be an illegal crackback block.

The play in question occurred early in the second quarter on a Travis Henry 9-yard run. Wade lined up as a receiver to the right of the line of scrimmage, which was the direction in which the running play came. Wade threw a low block on Harrison, who was pursuing the play, and the Patriots felt it was of the crackback variety because Wade appeared to be blocking back toward the ball. The NFL ruled otherwise today.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 03:59:41 PM

Last edited:
It was a legal block....

Per Reiss "NFL Director of Offiating Mike Pereira reviewed the block of Titans wide receiver Bobby Wade on Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, and deemed it to be legal.
The league's vice president of communications, Greg Aiello, confirmed Pereira's ruling today. Pereira ruled that Wade was blocking upfield and not back toward the ball. Because of that, it wasn't determined by the NFL to be an illegal crackback block.
The play in question occurred early in the second quarter on a Travis Henry 9-yard run. Wade lined up as a receiver to the right of the line of scrimmage, which was the direction in which the running play came. Wade threw a low block on Harrison, who was pursuing the play, and the Patriots felt it was of the crackback variety because Wade appeared to be blocking back toward the ball. The NFL ruled otherwise today."

Just the NFL making up for poor officiating..would I ever expect something different??

They deemed the PI call on Samuel in the Denver playoff game last year, and the TD (that never happened) in Super Bowl Xtra Lame by Roethlisberger OK too so what do expect? If it was legal or not it was dirty and meant to injure. Same as the spear into Brady's back last week. I guess we just have to accept teams are going to get away with this stuff and after the game is over there will never be anything to change the final score.

Just like Ingram's spear.

They deemed it legal because it was. But a vet like Rodney should get a little respect from that little ****.

It would have been nice if they had addressed it as to the REAL complaint. And it wasn't that it was a crackback block. The complaint was that Wade went at Rodney's knee. That's a low hit. I thought they were working to take those out of the game.

It would have been nice if they had addressed it as to the REAL complaint. And it wasn't that it was a crackback block. The complaint was that Wade went at Rodney's knee. That's a low hit. I thought they were working to take those out of the game.
Bo not if it is against the Patriots..no credibility and keeo covering up for poor officials..I think someone needs to do something about it as it is the weakest aspect of the leage...it's like class AA in everything else and then there is officiating which is back in the dark ages..and they will NOT address it.

Look, I didn't like to see it happen as much as the next guy but what rule do you think he broke?
I see the play much like in hockey when a star player gets laid out... it's not illegal but it violates unwritten rules that respectful players follow. I understand the play was dirty. He drove through Rodney's knee with what appeared to be a attempt to injure. I just can't think of a WRITTEN rule that was violated.

The hit looked clean to me. He hit from the front, not the back or sides. He even hit the thighs, not the knees or below it.

Those that think it was illegal, what rule do you think was violated?

The hit looked clean to me. He hit from the front, not the back or sides. He even hit the thighs, not the knees or below it.

Illegal crackback block.

Blockers on the outside of the formation can't make blocks back towards the inside.

Brady got called for one last year in the Buffalo game that was pretty similar to yesterday's. However, Brady's didn't look to be back inside:

take4aq5.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it was illegal, but I do think it was cheap and dirty. When a reciever goes to make a block like that 99% of the time they turn their shoulder and take out the guys legs and torso with their body. In this case the guy bent over and put his helmet right on the area of Rodney's knee, it looks awkward because he had to go out of his way to make the block like that instead of the way its normally done.

Also don't expect the NFL to ever admit that a call was wrong unless it was on a play that was completely inconsiquential.

Look, I didn't like to see it happen as much as the next guy but what rule do you think he broke?
I see the play much like in hockey when a star player gets laid out... it's not illegal but it violates unwritten rules that respectful players follow. I understand the play was dirty. He drove through Rodney's knee with what appeared to be a attempt to injure. I just can't think of a WRITTEN rule that was violated.

I didn't think it was illegal either, Harrison was looking past him at the ball carrier. Wade went low and thought he had hit him in the ding-dong but there didn't seem to be anything overt. Back to the hockey analogy, first thing we were taught "keep your head up", second thing was if you see someone with their head down "hit them".

Shows how tough the game is, lose focus for a second and you get injured.

He will be missed this weekend.

Last edited:
They deemed it legal because it was. But a vet like Rodney should get a little respect from that little ****.

It was close, but I think it was legal. The hit was just above the knee.

It was clearly illegal. Anytime a WR turns inside to the middle of the field like that, he can't hit below the waist. Brady got called for it on a run this year. Clearly a crackback, as Belichick said. Belichick is right, and Pereira is simply backing his officials.

Crackback. Can't hit below the waist.

I didn't think it was illegal either, Harrison was looking past him at the ball carrier. Wade went low and thought he had hit him in the ding-dong but there didn't seem to be anything overt. Back to the hockey analogy, first thing we were taught "keep your head up", second thing was if you see someone with their head down "hit them".

Shows how tough the game is, lose focus for a second and you get injured.

He will be missed this weekend.

The crackback rule is in place for the precise reason that, in the open field, as a defender is running full speed with his eyes on the ballcarrier, he's vulnerable. That's why the NFL says that once you move outside the tackles (Wade was clearly outside the tackles) and then you come back toward the middle of the field (as Wade did) you are not allowed to block below the waist. The picture shown in this thread of Brady's block is an excellent demonstration even though Brady didn't come back toward the field. In Brady's case, he simply turned toward the inside. That was enough for a flag on a big play. wade did much more than Brady in terms of turning inside.

I'm starting to wonder if the Patriots have done something to the league that we don't know about.

I really believe that there is a double standard concerning the handling of the Patriots.

Its like Al Davis in Oakland. He sued the NFL and won something like 40 million years ago and there are those who believe that as long as Al Davis owns the Raiders, the NFL will never let him win a championship again. Doesn't matter who coaches that team, they are always one of the most penalized teams in the NFL. Thier bad boy image has been gone a long time but they are still viewed differently by the refs.

I'm hoping that we are not getting into some similar scenario with the league.

I don't know, I find it hard to believe that Wade's actions weren't in retaliation for Rodney's extra curricular with him on the previous play. Legal or no, the block seemed a little cheap. Does anyone have shots of the block or of their interaction on the previous play?

Last edited:
I don't know, I find it hard to believe that Wade's actions weren't in retaliation for Rodney's extra curricular with him on the previous play. Legal or no, the block seemed a little cheap. Does anyone have shots of the block or of their interaction on the previous play?

The play before, Wade caught a quick out and Rodney looked to give him a little extra humping action on the ground long after Wade was down. When Wade got up, Rodney gave him a little bit of a hug and Wade pat Rodney on his helmet. They both went separate ways seemingly fine.

I'm working on photos of the block.

On the run, Wade was lined up wide right and stuttered towards Rodney, and then Wade ducked and went low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye