PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wade Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess someone should tell Larry Brown he is a bad basketball coach since the criteria of being fired repeatedly after short stints with teams is the measuring stick.

nice pretzel logic...why not compare a girls field hockey team coach with an NFL coach next? Every thread you're in seems to find you being a condescending, contentious jerk.

I guess someone should tell Larry Brown he is a bad basketball coach since the criteria of being fired repeatedly after short stints with teams is the measuring stick.

nice pretzel logic...why not compare a girls field hockey team coach with an NFL coach next? Every thread you're in seems to find you being a condescending, contentious jerk.

You're right Joker! Sanvara tends to stick to her arguments even when she has none

She should show us how/why Phillips is a good coach. And she'd need a lot more than the fact the Cowboys are 11-1

Larry Brown's coaching history includes 5 head coaching tenures of 4 years or more (5,5,4,4 & 6)...that's 24 years of coaching. The fact that he has been employed as a head coach continuously since 1972 without a year off clearly shows the respect his coaching ability draws.

As a reference, here's his record;

Larry Brown
1972-74 Carolina Cougars (ABA)
1974-79 Denver Nuggets (ABA until 1976, then NBA)
1979-81 UCLA (NCAA)
1981-83 New Jersey Nets (NBA)
1983-88 University of Kansas (NCAA)
1988-92 San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
1992-93 Los Angeles Clippers (NBA)
1993-97 Indiana Pacers (NBA)
1997-2003 Philadelphia 76ers (NBA; 6 years)
2003-05 Detroit Pistons (NBA)
2005-06 New York Knicks (NBA)

Summary
College: 1 National Championship, 3 Final Fours in 7 seasons
Pro: 1 Championship, 3 Conference Championships, 10 Division Championships, 25 Playoff appearances in 26 seasons

How on earth did Sanvara ever compare Larry Brown with Wade Phillips?

Last edited:
:rofl: I guess someone should tell Larry Brown he is a bad basketball coach since the criteria of being fired repeatedly after short stints with teams is the measuring stick.

Actually, you're wrong. The Bills were undergoing a major transition when Wade took over. Their long-standing iconic head coach was gone, Jim Kelly was gone and Thurman Thomas was a shell of his former self rushing for 381 yards and 152 yards Wade's first two years there. The Bills success had revolved around Levy, Kelly and Thomas. So you might want to try a different angle on this one. :D

Then let's try this little exercise Sanvara. Prove to me Wade's record shows he's a good coach. Notice I didn't say "excellent coach" because we both know he can't be included in such a conversation.

I can't believe you tried to bring Larry Brown into your argument. Wade Phillips is irrelevant in a discussion of coaches with Larry Brown's coaching skills.

While Larry Brown has been employed continously as a head coach since 1972, Wade Phillips has had gaps of 9, 4 & 4 years between 3 of his 4 head coaching jobs. The 2 HC jobs that were consecutive lasted 1 year each.

Look, I'm the only posting facts that support Phillips is not a good coach. It's your turn to post FACTS proving I'm wrong....

I'm waiting...

Last edited:
Actually, you're wrong. The Bills were undergoing a major transition when Wade took over. Their long-standing iconic head coach was gone, Jim Kelly was gone and Thurman Thomas was a shell of his former self rushing for 381 yards and 152 yards Wade's first two years there. The Bills success had revolved around Levy, Kelly and Thomas. So you might want to try a different angle on this one. :D

So according to you, Phillips rebuilt the Bills in 2 years and is responsible for the 10-6 & 11-5 records of '98 & '99? Really? Please tell us how any coach (let alone Wade Phillips) dramatically changed the Bills personnel in 1 year to achieve this. And finally, after this miraculous rebuilding, why the Bills go 8-8 in 2000?

Last edited:
Who does WP most resemble?

1: The Pillsbury Doughboy

2: The Michelin Tire Thing

3: Curly Joe from The 3 Stooges

4: Uncle Fester

He looks like his daddy Bum, head coach Houston Oilers and the Saints, did in the 70's. He had a babby face too. Bum is still alive and well in SF CA

So according to you, Phillips rebuilt the Bills in 2 years and is responsible for the 10-6 & 11-5 records of '98 & '99? Really? Please tell us how any coach (let alone Wade Phillips) dramatically changed the Bills personnel in 1 year to achieve this. And finally, after this miraculous rebuilding, why the Bills go 8-8 in 2000?

Always nice to quiet the infamous Ms Sanvara:D :D

Wade Phillips is the most annoying person to watch on the sidelines. He has the demeanor of a 5 year old.

Who does WP most resemble?

1: The Pillsbury Doughboy

2: The Michelin Tire Thing

3: Curly Joe from The 3 Stooges

4: Uncle Fester

NIETHER. He looks like Coach Red Beaulieu on the Water Boy movie. Anyone have a pic you can post? "Boy, are you sttttuuppidd!!!

How on earth did Sanvara ever compare Larry Brown with Wade Phillips?

I wasn't comparing Wade to Larry Brown. I was pointing out the flawed logic of your assertion that if you keep getting fired you can't be a good coach. As anyone who has any insight to team and coaching culture knows, teams change their head coach for many reasons and being a "bad coach" is only one of many reasons why this happens. For you to say that Wade keeps getting fired, and this means he is a bad coach indicates to me you have a lack of insight into the many reasons why coaching changes happen.

I didn't say Wade Phillips rebuilt any teams. You don't always need to dramatically change personnel to be successful. Sometimes minor changes and a different coaching style and strategy works for a particular team and surpasses what the previous coach was able to do.

Case in point the Lakers of 1999-2000. Before Phil Jackson arrived they were being swept out of the playoffs. He arrives and they win three championships in a row with the same personnel. Did Phil rebuild the Lakers? No. Did he do a hell of a coaching job? Yes.

Also, case in point the 2007 Dallas Cowboys. Did Wade rebuild the Cowboys? No. Has he done an excellent coaching job and surpassed what Parcells was able to do the year before with the same personnel? Yes.

Coaches don't always get fired (or "resign") because they are incompetent. There are many reasons why teams fire coaches. Sometimes it's a matter of trying to find the right fit for a team, and a particular coach can be the missing piece to the puzzle. Also, at times, you just need to change the coaching culture of a team to breath new life into a team and get a team re-energized.

It's only the exceptional coaches that can keep players motivated and performing at their highest level over the long haul of running a team for many years. I don't put Wade in the exceptional category as he has not shown he belongs there. Basically he's a pretty astute and knowledgeable football guy, a very good coordinator, and someone who has shown the ability to have some success as a head coach for brief periods of time, as he has shown with a couple teams now. He has also shown that he is usually going to keep a team competitive. He's never had a record below 7-9 over the course of a season. He may not have the staying power to continue the success he has had with the Cowboys so far over the long haul, but if he has the skills to elevate a team's level of play for a couple years where the previous coach was unable to do so, that is an ability that has some value.

Joker: How's that for pretzel logic?;)

Last edited:
Wade Phillips reminds me of:

a pasty-colored blob of shyte.

'Cause that's what he is.

Start Rob Johnson instead of Flutie? Eff him. And eff JJ, Romo and TO, too.

Nah - You guys are too young

Does anyone remember Captain Kangaroo? Thats who he looks like!

More important question.."Why does Wade look like he is older than his daddy Bum?"

I wasn't comparing Wade to Larry Brown. I was pointing out the flawed logic of your assertion that if you keep getting fired you can't be a good coach. As anyone who has any insight to team and coaching culture knows, teams change their head coach for many reasons and being a "bad coach" is only one of many reasons why this happens. For you to say that Wade keeps getting fired, and this means he is a bad coach indicates to me you have a lack of insight into the many reasons why coaching changes happen.

I didn't say Wade Phillips rebuilt any teams. You don't always need to dramatically change personnel to be successful. Sometimes minor changes and a different coaching style and strategy works for a particular team and surpasses what the previous coach was able to do.

Case in point the Lakers of 1999-2000. Before Phil Jackson arrived they were being swept out of the playoffs. He arrives and they win three championships in a row with the same personnel. Did Phil rebuild the Lakers? No. Did he do a hell of a coaching job? Yes.

Also, case in point the 2007 Dallas Cowboys. Did Wade rebuild the Cowboys? No. Has he done an excellent coaching job and surpassed what Parcells was able to do the year before with the same personnel? Yes.

Coaches don't always get fired (or "resign") because they are incompetent. There are many reasons why teams fire coaches. Sometimes it's a matter of trying to find the right fit for a team, and a particular coach can be the missing piece to the puzzle. Also, at times, you just need to change the coaching culture of a team to breath new life into a team and get a team re-energized.

It's only the exceptional coaches that can keep players motivated and performing at their highest level over the long haul of running a team for many years. I don't put Wade in the exceptional category as he has not shown he belongs there. Basically he's a pretty astute and knowledgeable football guy, a very good coordinator, and someone who has shown the ability to have some success as a head coach for brief periods of time, as he has shown with a couple teams now. He has also shown that he is usually going to keep a team competitive. He's never had a record below 7-9 over the course of a season. He may not have the staying power to continue the success he has had with the Cowboys so far over the long haul, but if he has the skills to elevate a team's level of play for a couple years where the previous coach was unable to do so, that is an ability that has some value.

Joker: How's that for pretzel logic?;)

All this commentary and you STILL have provided NO data supporting your assertion that Wade Phillips is a good head coach. Let me suggest to you that this data doesn't exist. While you spit out a few single year facts, you can not correlate them with success.

Let me also point out a "Good coach" is one that continually develops talent and improves personnel. In the old days, this was left to a player personnel guy but today almost all good coaches have the greatest influence upon both player development & draft picks.

"If" Wade was a good coach, he would not have gone unemployed (as a head coach) since 2000. Keep in mind that the 3 games he coached at Atlanta in 2003 don't count because he was an assistant coach.

Finally Sanvar, stop debating me on the fact that good head coaches DO NOT continually get fired after 1 or 2 years throughtout their careers. Larry Brown did not and neither has any other good HC. Getting fired is only ONE aspect I have discussed. The second is the lack of longivity to any of Phillips head coaching jobs and LONGIVITY is more important than being fired in this discussion.

Like 99% of the other commentators on this thread, I will re-iterate the fact that Wade Phillips sucks as a head coach. Dallas' record "this" year is no reflection on his abilities. If he can repeat this again next year, then we can have a conversation about his "improving" head coaching abilities.

One more question for you Sanvara;

WHAT TEAM ARE YOU A FAN OF?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey