PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wade Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our next D-Coordinator will either be Matt Patricia or Pepper Johnson...

Wade does not fit into this system...

Charlie Weis fit's that mold.

Phillips would never go back to being a DC. And,on top of that, never work for Belichick. IMO, of course.
Of course he would go back to being a DC. If he got fired/quit he wouldn't be like Shanahan or Cowher or Gruden who have had enough past success they they are immediately mentioned for new HC jobs. He's more like Norv Turner or Dom Capers whose path back to HC involves impressing as coordinator and being in the right place at the right time.

Sure, coordinator only pays 500K/year rather than 5M a year, but that beats sitting at home. And I would never have thought Capers would have worked for Belichick, so who knows.

Last edited:

Or Corwin Brown, don't rule him out. As for Phillips, he has a job now so what's the point and I wouldn't want him anyway. They would have/should have axed Pees and given Capers the job if they wanted to go that route.

I wouldn't be against it. The difference between a DC and a HC is pretty significant and he has done a good job in the DC role. He's quiet so he won't step on BBs toes either. He would be an upgrade over Pees.

Can't believe all the bashing. Phillips is an excellent defensive mind. He just doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach. I'd love Wade as DC if I were the Pats.

We have our defensive guru and leader. It is an OC that we need.

Bingo. Even though I'm not putting all the blame on the coaching staff for last week's debacle, if we're going to talk about bringing in a coordinator it's the offense that needs it. Not because they can't hold their own, but because Belichick is a defensive mind primarily, so I have every confidence in him to handle that role (with help from Patricia, Johnson, Brown, etc).

You see it all the time. The head coach has a specialty from his background, so they bring in a coordinator for the other side of the ball to balance it out. Hence Sean Payton (offensive guy I believe), bringing in Greg Williams to run the defense.

I was wondering about Pepper. Obviously been with the program a really long time but I've never read or heard a definitive evaluation of his coaching potential. Obviously Belichick likes him because he's held onto his job but do we have evidence that Pepper could take the next step to DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back