PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wade Phillips: Welker not real athletic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wes Welker: I'm more athletic than Wade Phillips.

The problem with your position is that Welker is, in fact, very athletic, and he's got the numbers to prove it. What he is not is tall and rocket propelled. Phillips got caught up with the word "athletic", when he could have said something like "Welker is more quick and about cuts than he is blazing fast and about killing you deep...".

Oddly neither was the WR everyone is still chasing... In fact Wes had a better 40 time. I guess Rice wasn't an athlete. Although Walsh saw something in him that led him to draft a small school wideout Lombardi had a hard time finding him game film on the day before the draft almost on a whim.

I'm not quite sure what Wade was trying to convey, but in situations like that it's best just to do what Bill does...lavish praise on the opponent.

What a doofus. Yeah, he's not athletic, he doesn't do much, blah, blah, blah. Guess that's why you doubled him last time and let Hernandez & Lloyd run free. Wes will see you on Sunday, Wade (even if you don't see him).

But if he were an exceptional athlete, he'd have gone in the first round.

So, Arian Foster isn't athletic?

I mean, I hope the poster wasn't honestly suggesting that only guys who go in the first round are "athletic" because that would be the dumbest stuff I've read today.

He was comparing him to AJ Green. In the context he was talking, Welker is not athletic in comparison.

If you think Welker's success is because of his athleticism...... whatever. You're wrong.

So, Arian Foster isn't athletic?

No, for this conversation, Arian is not as athletic as say Peterson, or Tomlinson, or Reggie Bush. That's not what makes him successful in this league.

I think you guys are taking it the wrong way. It's not an insult to call a duck a duck. Or a swan a swan if you want to go that way, or a Lion a Lion. Welker is not a gazelle or an Orangutang. He's a beast of a different nature.

what's funny is that there is this perception that the texans are athletic due to some highlight reels of JJ Watt and Andre Johnson......I think the pats are more athletic and more physical in most areas.....certainly OL, TE, QB, RB, LB, DL

put it this way.......you could make the argument that welker does not have as high a caliber when it comes to physical attributes as an Andre Johnson or AJ Green......but at least he has it in his pants, or in his heart.......neither goes to the middle like welker, and neither will be in the league after taking as many hits as welker has taken.

JJ Watt? Wilfork would slap him senseless

He was comparing him to AJ Green. In the context he was talking, Welker is not athletic in comparison.

If you think Welker's success is because of his athleticism...... whatever. You're wrong.

No, for this conversation, Arian is not as athletic as say Peterson, or Tomlinson, or Reggie Bush. That's not what makes him successful in this league.

I think you guys are taking it the wrong way. It's not an insult to call a duck a duck. Or a swan a swan if you want to go that way, or a Lion a Lion. Welker is not a gazelle or an Orangutang. He's a beast of a different nature.

Wade is certainly an expert in "not athletic".

This, coupled with the earlier comment about joseph not covering welker, suggests that joseph will probably be covering welker.

HMM, Has Wade ever tried to guard Welker? Me thinks not so his opinion doesn't cut it.

If Welker can use this to motivate him to player harder, then damn, everyone else should just stay home. He already gets like 50000 catches a game. How much harder can her work?

It depends on how you're defining "athleticism". If you're actually using the proper definition, you're way off the mark It hearkens back to athlete in the dictionary, and the definition of athlete is:

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Athlete | Define Athlete at Dictionary.com

If you're just talking about the specifics of running fast, then you're right. Being athletic is about more than running fast or jumping high, though.

Last edited:
I get what Phillips was trying to say. He just managed to express himself rather poorly.

I get what Phillips was trying to say. He just managed to express himself rather poorly.

100% agree. Unless there was some kind of underlying motive for what he said his thoughts were all over the place.

Foster is way more athletic than Tomlinson and about 100 RBs taken in the first round over the last 20 years.

Guys like Wes Welker and Danny Woodhead are not "specimens", they're football players.

They were also somewhat overlooked and aquired cheaply because of that.

What Phillips meant to say is, ”With Gronk on the field, we can not afford to double up on Wes, thefore, Wes is not a dominating athlete....ummmm.....we're screwed."

Foster is way more athletic than Tomlinson and about 100 RBs taken in the first round over the last 20 years.

Foster can only DREAM of being as athletic and dynamic a player as Tomlinson was in his prime.

Last edited:
Wade certainly isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. I guarantee this is going to motivate Welker beyond belief.

Combine a laser-focused Brady with a pissed-off Welker, unleash Gronk the Kraken on the Texans' secondary, and the end result could be Wade Phillips being out of a job by next week.

:popcorn:

pssh...... Ben Jones is about to send him out to pasture.

I'll put the over/under of times Ben Jones will match up against Wilfork 1-on-1 at 1.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes