PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

vrabel trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you should watch it a 6th time. I've provided this to make things easier (go to about the 3:05 mark):

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8061ff88

The NFL Network begs to differ with you, Andy.

Geez, at least Dabruinz mans up to the truth. I'll give him credit for that.

Shows the exact same thing I saw the first 5 times. vrabel is blocked, goes to the ground, and Rivers runs into his legs. That is NOT a trip, or a leg whip. I cold care less what the NFLN talking head has to say. He is wrong.

Being wrong is not 'manning up' but from your posts so far, Id guess you dont have much idea what manning up is.

Shows the exact same thing I saw the first 5 times. vrabel is blocked, goes to the ground, and Rivers runs into his legs. That is NOT a trip, or a leg whip. I cold care less what the NFLN talking head has to say. He is wrong.

Sorry Andy, but it's not the NFLN talking head who's in the wrong here. Your "poor innocent little Vrabel, he was blocked into the QB" ploy goes out the window when you see Vrabel raise his leg and catch Rivers. (Just like Wilfork was only "blocked into" Losman, right?)

He's clearly doing that on purpose, and only a blind homer would say otherwise. Why don't you take a cue from the more honest fans here, like Dabruinz? He knows the deal.

Last edited:
Sorry Andy, but it's not the NFLN talking head who's in the wrong here. Your "poor innocent little Vrabel, he was blocked into the QB" ploy goes out the window when you see Vrabel raise his leg and catch Rivers. (Just like Wilfork was only "blocked into" Losman, right?)

He's clearly doing that on purpose, and only a blind homer would say otherwise. Why don't you take a cue from the more honest fans here, like Dabruinz? He knows the deal.

You are wrong.
If you were looking at it with an agenda of jealousy, you would see that.
Your ignorance that things are viewed differently by 'homers' simply indicates that YOU view them with a motive.
Vrabel was blocked, as he was going to the ground, Rivers ran into his legs. The ref saw it, the ref called nothing, because he agreed with me.

You are wrong.
If you were looking at it with an agenda of jealousy, you would see that.
Your ignorance that things are viewed differently by 'homers' simply indicates that YOU view them with a motive.
Vrabel was blocked, as he was going to the ground, Rivers ran into his legs. The ref saw it, the ref called nothing, because he agreed with me.

Andy Andy Andy... tsk tsk tsk.

It's so obvious what Vrabel did, I can't believe anyone would even TRY to deny it. It's so obvious, many of your fellows Pats fans have admitted it.
I suggest you join them in the land of the honest.

Vrabel tripped Rivers, and we're past even debate. It's all about the Pats getting away with it, and the discussion at hand. Let's stay focused people!

Andy Andy Andy... tsk tsk tsk.

It's so obvious what Vrabel did, I can't believe anyone would even TRY to deny it. It's so obvious, many of your fellows Pats fans have admitted it.
I suggest you join them in the land of the honest.

Vrabel tripped Rivers, and we're past even debate. It's all about the Pats getting away with it, and the discussion at hand. Let's stay focused people!
This can't be the real Jake LaMotta. He wouldn't be such a skirt wearing whiny little baby.

Being wrong is not 'manning up' but from your posts so far, Id guess you dont have much idea what manning up is.

You're not alone here AndyJ. I keep seeing the tackle clipping Vrabel but Rivers steps up and Mike falls when he tries to adjust. I did not see an intentional leg rise in the least. He was in a forward slide his legs were just where they were, which happened to be in Rivers path.
Perfectly good non call by the officials.

Someone else has no doubt pointed this out, but Reiss said in his Mailbag that he thought we got away with one on this play.

i still say the supposed trip had nothing to do with the int, samuel just totally schooled chambers on a well thrown pass

You're not alone here AndyJ. I keep seeing the tackle clipping Vrabel but Rivers steps up and Mike falls when he tries to adjust. I did not see an intentional leg rise in the least. He was in a forward slide his legs were just where they were, which happened to be in Rivers path.
Perfectly good non call by the officials.

Look at the follow-through. Vrabel's foot slings forward after releasing from Rivers'. Don't be nieve. Doesn't mean we would have won if it was called but it was a crucial turning-point in the game.

Look at the follow-through. Vrabel's foot slings forward after releasing from Rivers'. Don't be nieve. Doesn't mean we would have won if it was called but it was a crucial turning-point in the game.
the turning point was chambers getting schooled by samuel

chambers had the position and just got outworked

there's really no excuse at all for that

the turning point was chambers getting schooled by samuel

chambers had the position and just got outworked

there's really no excuse at all for that

The trip caused the ball to be way under-thrown. Chambers gave a good effort to try and deflect but DID get overpowered by Samuel. I'm not giving excuses. I saw this thread posted by what I thought was a NE fan then chimed in. Proof is in the video.

Is there any way Vrabel could have avoided contact without risking that lineman behind him rolling up on his leg? Not really. Vrabel doesn't stretch his leg out or lift it, in fact he lowers it. It's not a leg whip even if it's worthy of some other penalty, and it's plenty easy for us to replay it thousands of times and say it was heinous and Vrabel should be arrested. At full speed Vrabel spins inside and gets blocked in the direction of Rivers, and no ref will call that unless it's blatant. The ref is probably thinking that he was blocked into Rivers, and even if it was blatant he couldn't see it since Vrabel and his blocker were on the ground.

Last edited:
Is there any way Vrabel could have avoided contact without risking that lineman behind him rolling up on his leg? Not really. Vrabel doesn't stretch his leg out or lift it, in fact he lowers it. It's not a leg whip even if it's worthy of some other penalty, and it's plenty easy for us to replay it thousands of times and say it was heinous and Vrabel should be arrested. At full speed Vrabel spins inside and gets blocked in the direction of Rivers, and no ref will call that unless it's blatant. The ref is probably thinking that he was blocked into Rivers, and even if it was blatant he couldn't see it since Vrabel and his blocker were on the ground.
agree, and i'll even cite the play in the steelers bengals game where kemo van olhaufen is ole'd into carson palmer

bengals fans were screaming bloody murder but the fact in that instance was steinbach simply blocked kemo into palmer, pretty much guiding kemo down

Last edited:

Then why does Vrabel's leg fling out after Rivers goes down? Here is a better view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bplFfY75co
Like I said, it doesn't mean that we would have won had it been called but it was a HUGE turning point. We are just feeling like you guys did playing indy with the refs.

Then why does Vrabel's leg fling out after Rivers goes down? Here is a better view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bplFfY75co
Like I said, it doesn't mean that we would have won had it been called but it was a HUGE turning point. We are just feeling like you guys did playing indy with the refs.

How does Vrabel end up on the ground in the first place? After all, he beats his man clean with a spin move. What action occurs to change a spin move to a fall to the ground?

How does Vrabel end up on the ground in the first place? After all, he beats his man clean with a spin move. What action occurs to change a spin move to a fall to the ground?

If he beat his man clean then he would have been past him. He was already falling from the spin then tried to hook Rivers' leg, which he did successfully. If Vrabel didn't mean to trip him then his foot wouldn't have flung out after releasing from Rivers' foot.

Personally, my take is that it was unintentional. It looked like Vrabel got blocked on his shoulder pad and caused him to lose his footing. It doesn't look like he is extending his leg. His leg does go up in the air when he starts to fall, but looks on the ground before it makes contact with Rivers.

I guess you could have called a penalty on Vrabel for how the play actually went down, but I do think it was incidental. I don't know he could have intentionally tried to leg whip Rivers at that speed and angle without making it very obvious that he was trying to do so and opening himself up to potential injury also.

Personally, my take is that it was unintentional. It looked like Vrabel got blocked on his shoulder pad and caused him to lose his footing. It doesn't look like he is extending his leg. His leg does go up in the air when he starts to fall, but looks on the ground before it makes contact with Rivers.

I guess you could have called a penalty on Vrabel for how the play actually went down, but I do think it was incidental. I don't know he could have intentionally tried to leg whip Rivers at that speed and angle without making it very obvious that he was trying to do so and opening himself up to potential injury also.

Well we will all have to agree to disagree on this one. Nobody knows the intention but Vrabel...and he's not gonna tell. I guess it's better to have no-calls than phantom calls.

If he beat his man clean then he would have been past him. He was already falling from the spin then tried to hook Rivers' leg, which he did successfully. If Vrabel didn't mean to trip him then his foot wouldn't have flung out after releasing from Rivers' foot.

Try watching the video again, this time with an honest eye. Vrabel wasn't falling from the spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes