PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

vrabel trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes. I felt that it hurt us until the end of the game in the Ravens game though because they were mugging our receivers.

I don't necessarily mean they shouldn't call things like that.

Part of hands-off means calling 'illegal contact' instead of DPI so a team isn't handed 40 ticky-tacky yards, etc.

Or 'running into the kicker' instead of 'roughing the kicker'.

does it matter that vrabel was on the ground? Or doesn't it matter.

Doesn't matter. Most trips are desperation attempts to bring down the ball carrier while on the ground. Like this one.

Not sure if the video was posted yet but here:
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/The-Beasty/?action=view&current=LegWhip_0001.flv

To me, of course, it looked like a trip. I just looked at the follow through and it looked like he did it on purpose. But it also looked like a hold on Clary. Either way SOMETHING should have been called, either the trip or a double penalty. Unfortunately this may have been the biggest play of the game. 2 plays later you scored and we went down by 8.

LOL who knocked the ref over?

i actually think the pass was fine despite vrabel

what made it an int was samuel totally outworked chambers for the ball

chambers has to go harder for a ball like that, he's got to want it more

It happened too fast for a ref to be sure about. Rivers still had no business trying that throw when he has nothing on it because that is the one thing Asante does well, fight for the ball. At full speed it just looks like Vrabel misses, it wasn't half as bad as Matt Light on Freeney in Indy.

Last edited:
I think the correct term is leg whip. Didn't see the replay, did it look like an innocent trip, or more like a guy trying to take a leg out, you know, like Light did to Freeney??

I think the correct term is leg whip. Didn't see the replay, did it look like an innocent trip, or more like a guy trying to take a leg out, you know, like Light did to Freeney??

There is a link to the clip in the 1st or 2nd page of this thread.

And no, it did not llook like a leg whip but a tripping penalty would be conceivable.
I still say it was incidental, though Vrabel did nothing to change the direction of his forward slide.

Last edited:
yeah we got a break there but thats just karma for the missed touchback against Denver and the faulty PI call in Denver both by this ref staff I believe

Explanation from Jerry Markbreit on tripping and leg whipping:

Recently, during the TCU-Tulane game, a player attempted to tackle the ballcarrier by making a "kicking motion" towards him with his leg, outstretching it and basically waving it at the ballcarrier. If the defensive player had made contact with and brought down the ballcarrier via this method, would this constitute a leg whip and or personal foul, or is it a legal tackle? I have known leg whips are illegal for many years, but I have also believed that you were permitted to bring down the ball carrier by any means necessary (as not otherwise excluded by rule). Thanks for clearing this up, and I really enjoyed your work through the years as a NFL official. -- John Rossini, Denver

Thank you very much for the compliment. It's always nice to get positive feedback from my readers.

I was watching the TCU-Tulane game and wondered if someone would ask about the trip. In the play in question, the tackler actually tripped the ballcarrier, bringing him to the ground. Under collegiate rules, it is a legal play, and you are correct when you state that the defense can do anything to bring a runner down unless he violates the personal foul rules.

Under NFL rules, this would have been an illegal tripping foul and would carry a 10-yard penalty from the spot of the foul or the end of the run, whichever hurts the fouler the most. A leg whip, under NFL rules, is more severe than a trip when the fouler actually swings his leg and hits an opponent's leg. This is a 15-yard penalty.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...7549426.story?coll=cs-bears-asktheref-utility

umm, vrabel fell down and grabbed rivers leg with his hand, and tripped him...

which made rivers not throw such a good ball, which ended up in asante's hands...

vrabel defenetely affected the play, but it was legal as well...u can try and sack the QB any way u want...even tripping....and it was with the hands form wut i recall...

It was foot-on-foot. Vrable was coming in on Rivers and just prior to his getting there the Chargers O-linemen knocked him down from behind. As he was going to the ground his foot hits Rivers foot/shin area. Rivers then throws the ball and falls down. I don't really think it was an obviously deliberate tripping, and the Officials were probably right to eat the wistle.

Remember, they had earlier missed the call on Chambers where he was out of bounds, and was the first person to touch the ball. And later in the game they let a few different 50/50 infractions go uncalled.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that's homerish garbage. I'm a huge Pats fan and even I know that's not what happened. Vrabel went down and threw his leg out there in an attempt to take Rivers down. Its a clear leg whip and totally illegal.

Interesting -- you admit the total injustice the Pats got away with (which is true) and how wrong it was that they did -- then, ho hum, you move on. No big deal let's forget about it.

Now contrast that with the way you reacted after Super Bowl XL, when you threw a fit for DAYS if not WEEKS about the injustice of it all! And how the integrity of the game was at stake by what you believe were such bad calls (wouldn't have anything to do with jealousy of another team winning it all and not the Pats, right? no of course not) -- I don't get it man. Where are all the protest posts? Where's all the righteous indignation?

C'mon man, as a concerned fan of the game, you MUST raise a stink about Vrabel's non-call. Let's see some top posts man! Let's see that Super Bowl XL Da Bruinz we all know and love.

Interesting -- you admit the total injustice the Pats got away with (which is true) and how wrong it was that they did -- then, ho hum, you move on. No big deal let's forget about it.

Now contrast that with the way you reacted after Super Bowl XL, when you threw a fit for DAYS if not WEEKS about the injustice of it all! And how the integrity of the game was at stake by what you believe were such bad calls (wouldn't have anything to do with jealousy of another team winning it all and not the Pats, right? no of course not) -- I don't get it man. Where are all the protest posts? Where's all the righteous indignation?

C'mon man, as a concerned fan of the game, you MUST raise a stink about Vrabel's non-call. Let's see some top posts man! Let's see that Super Bowl XL Da Bruinz we all know and love.

I LOVE how JakeLaMotta will intersperse his POSTS with all caps words, really adds EMPHASIS to his points, you can almost HEAR how PISSED he is.

We're all concerned about Vrablel's non-call, deeply disturbed, we're all sending emails to the league. Will that get you to move on to another point? Like how bad the Jets are?

See, moron, this is your problem. You think ONE missed call is the equivalent of one of the worst officiated GAMES (where there were at least 10 blown calls) in the history of the game. It doesn't work like that.

Its not hypocrisy. Hypocrisy would be not acknowledging it at all. I acknowledged that it was a blown call. However, that call did NOT cost SD the game as they had the ball several times after that.

Also, Jake, you don't know ME so stop pretending like you do. You're nothing but a loser reject who doesn't know a damn thing about the game.

Anyone else read the thread title and think Vrabel was headed to Cabo during the off week? No, just me then?

I blame the media.

That's exactly what I thought! Hilarious! I am so damn conditioned!

See, moron, this is your problem. You think ONE missed call is the equivalent of one of the worst officiated GAMES (where there were at least 10 blown calls) in the history of the game. It doesn't work like that.

Its not hypocrisy. Hypocrisy would be not acknowledging it at all. I acknowledged that it was a blown call. However, that call did NOT cost SD the game as they had the ball several times after that.

Also, Jake, you don't know ME so stop pretending like you do. You're nothing but a loser reject who doesn't know a damn thing about the game.

OK, name me the "ten blown calls" Mr. Exaggeration -- please. Name me all ten, and explain why they were blown.

I assure you, nothing comes close to Vrabel getting away with what he did.

Dabruinz,
It wasnt a missed call. Vrabel was blocked to the ground, and Rivers fell on his legs. It is not tripping if you are on the ground and someone trips over you, it is tripping if you purposely stick your leg out to trip a player. Vrabel did not do that, I watched it 5 times.

OK, name me the "ten blown calls" Mr. Exaggeration -- please. Name me all ten, and explain why they were blown.

I assure you, nothing comes close to Vrabel getting away with what he did.

Vrabel didnt get away with anything. There was nothing illegal on that play.

Dabruinz,
It wasnt a missed call. Vrabel was blocked to the ground, and Rivers fell on his legs. It is not tripping if you are on the ground and someone trips over you, it is tripping if you purposely stick your leg out to trip a player. Vrabel did not do that, I watched it 5 times.

Then you should watch it a 6th time. I've provided this to make things easier (go to about the 3:05 mark):

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8061ff88

The NFL Network begs to differ with you, Andy.

Geez, at least Dabruinz mans up to the truth. I'll give him credit for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes