PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vrabel traded to KC, compensation still unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vrabel traded to KC

I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop on Jarvis Green now.
They'd save $2.2M there. Could happen, Green hasn't done a lot for two years - only thing is, Mike Wright is a FA so I think that would increase Green's value to the team.

BTW, I just did a refresh on Schefter's blog and the Vrabel to KC trade is no longer there...

Wierd.. and now its back...

Last edited:

Emotionally difficult as this is, maybe we are taking a "half empty" as opposed to "half full" perspective on this.

With Woods being tendered as an RFA, we had 9 potential OLBs on the roster: Vrabel, AD, Woods, Crable, Banta-Cain, Redd, Craig, Robertson and Ruud. That's way too many to possibly manage, even with the PS, and even assuming one of Vrabel/AD moved inside to SILB.

Maybe this move means that BB has confidence that one or more of the young turks - Woods, Crable and Redd seem the most likely to me - are ready to step up. 2 years ago Pittsburgh was in a bit of an unknown situation letting Joey Porter go and turning things over to James Harrison. Hope we have similar results.

This saddens me, if true. And if it isn't, I wonder if the all the "predictors" and those who think he's washed up will come forward.

Last edited:

Folks over at ChiefsPlanet don't seem too enthusiastic.

That may be an understatement.

Re: Vrabel traded to KC?????

Damn, I thought he might get cut, but did *not* see a trade coming. Makes sense for KC, they need some veteran leadership over there.

WEEI is theorizing that they are doing this because they want to get Johnathan Vilma.

I think that this may include cassell and a #1 pick... which BB might want to use to get Curry.... that would make this make more sense and would probably be ok with me.

Vrabel has been one of my favorite players throughout the years, he'll be missed. Hopefully this means we'll get Peppers :)

BTW, I just did a refresh on Schefter's blog and the Vrabel to KC trade is no longer there...

Wierd.. and now its back...

Items have been disappearing and reappearing all day on there. I think it's just a faulty page, rather than anything significant.

I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop on Jarvis Green now. Will he be restructured, cut, or traded? Vrabel was the one guy I was eyeing to go considering his detoriorating performance and age. I aptly compared his career arc to Willie McGinest and obviously the Pats were thinking along the same lines. Fortunately they were able to get something for him.

I'll always be thankful for what Vrable has done for this team. But obviously it looked about time for him to go. I think the rumored trade for Peppers has a lot of legs now. The Pats are seriously looking to upgrade their OLB position! A position that many posters on this board maintained needed no upgrading. Looks like the Pats think differently, huh? Let's plug in a passrush beast now and watch this defense come to life in 2009!
Jarvis and Bruschi. Not sure either will be back this year. I didn't expect the Vrabel move but I'm cool with it. Fans shouldn't get attached to aging players. This team has to keep on moving and getting better.

Clearing space for Bodden / Peppers this is why I love the off season surprise moves.

Jarvis and Bruschi. Not sure either will be back this year. I didn't expect the Vrabel move but I'm cool with it. Fans shouldn't get attached to aging players. This team has to keep on moving and getting better.

I'd be shocked to see Jarvis cut. Who's your 3rd DE, then?

I have to wonder...was Pioli the conservative half of the pair? Perhaps BB is a little faster to drop the axe when he sees a player sliding and thinks he can train up a replacement? It seems to me that, compared to some of the other older players the Pats have kept the last few year Vrabel still has at least as much in the tank.

Not that I'm saying it's a bad move, but just wondering if this is an indication of what's to come from the new regime...

WEEI is theorizing that they are doing this because they want to get Johnathan Vilma.

I think that this may include cassell and a #1 pick... which BB might want to use to get Curry.... that would make this make more sense and would probably be ok with me.

you may be right, BUT

why would they announce vrabel is traded and not cassel? doesnt make sense to me.

It's supposedly been reported by Schefter on NFLN. What a shock.

If true, it may be good for both sides, depending on the terms. Vrabel can offer a lot of leadership to KC (especially if they do convert to a 3-4 defense, which seems a bit more likely if this is true), and may be able to play more of a role than he would with NE. If BB thought his skills were eroding, this gives him a gracious exit and frees up cap $$ and roster space for youth at OLB.

Hope we got #34 for him, or at least #67. :D Or Brandon Alberts. :D:D:D
New England’s Pro Bowl linebacker Mike Vrabel is in Kansas City undergoing a physical so that he can then be traded to the Chiefs. General Manager Scott Pioli is reaching out to bring in a player familiar with his system, and New England is a willing trade partner.

DW Toys

This could also mean that Crable's shown a lot of progress.

I'd be shocked to see Jarvis cut. Who's your 3rd DE, then?
Wright. Also, I didn't necessarily say he will be cut. I think a trade is likely, perhaps part of a Peppers deal.

WOW!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back