PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vrabel to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. Vrabel is known to have a strong personality and biting sense of humor. Not sure that's what Belichick wants.

I'd imagine he'd want someone like Bruschi.

Maybe. Vrabel is known to have a strong personality and biting sense of humor. Not sure that's what Belichick wants.

Vrabel is also one of the very few individuals who was not afraid to speak out to BB, or cut him down in front of everyone.

There was an incident, late in Mayo's first season when he suffered a torn rotator cuff. BB wanted to send him in on ST, but Vrabel got in BB's face and told him to use a sub.

Personally I think BB could really be better off having a system of checks and balance, such as Vrabel, who is also very smart, to provide a different take on things. Unfortunately don't think this is going to happen.

Much as I like Vrabel, he was traded for next to nothing for a reason. We're headed in a new direction, and this was a full season ago when he was already in full decline.

There was an incident, late in Mayo's first season when he suffered a torn rotator cuff. BB wanted to send him in on ST, but Vrabel got in BB's face and told him to use a sub.

From what I read, Vrabes didn't get in BB's face, more or less just yelled out "Not Mayo" or somesuch. BB listened and sent someone else I believe that was the game where Mayo earned Vrabel's respect.

To two most natural things for Vrabel to do after he stops playing are:

• Broadcast
  • Be a volunteer assistant coach, most likely at Ohio State

One of those things pays more than the other thing.

There's no downside to brining him into camp. Whether he makes the team is up to him.

In the meantime he would likely be a very positive presence in the locker room - my only pause would be in him taking practice reps away from other guys but I don't think that would be a big enough problem to preclude brining him back.

The theme this offseason has generally been quality locker room leaders - Vrabel fits that perfectly.

Everyone is talking about him as a LB or coach....I think the best position would be to bring him back as the 3rd TE. That means Crumpler would have to get hurt or cant play. The rookies get bumped up and he could be the red zone 3rd TE in games yet still mentor and practice with the LBs. That would be his best fit.

Steve DeOssie said tonight on the 10:00pm comcast NE Sports tonight that it is his understanding that Vrabel will soon be cut by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Tanguay claims that Vrabel loved living here and would be interested in a return.

Should the Pats bring back Vrabes? While it has been a few years since he has been a productive linebacker, could he function in a leadership role?

YES!

The thing I do NOT - to this day - get is why they let him go in the forst place. He was playing at a decent level and he was a tremendous leader. I say sign this guy - in a heart beat!

YES!

The thing I do NOT - to this day - get is why they let him go in the forst place. He was playing at a decent level and he was a tremendous leader. I say sign this guy - in a heart beat!

I'd have preferred to keep him too, given how our season played out, but at the time I don't think there was too much second guessing Belichick's logic.

$4.5 million seemed very steep for Vrabel last year. Assuming he wouldn't take a pay cut the options were to cut him - essentially trading him to the Jets for no compensation - or sending him to a team that could afford his entire salary outside of the Conference.

The Patriots chose the latter. Keeping him at $4.5 million was not considered a viable option.

I'd have preferred to keep him too, given how our season played out, but at the time I don't think there was too much second guessing Belichick's logic.

$4.5 million seemed very steep for Vrabel last year. Assuming he wouldn't take a pay cut the options were to cut him - essentially trading him to the Jets for no compensation - or sending him to a team that could afford his entire salary outside of the Conference.

The Patriots chose the latter. Keeping him at $4.5 million was not considered a viable option.

It wasn't a "viable" option or wasn't a Vrabel option?

He could come back and play inside LB, maybe. He has the size.

We need to be developing some DE types as ILB, like Bruschi was. Yes.

To two most natural things for Vrabel to do after he stops playing are:

• Broadcast
  • Be a volunteer assistant coach, most likely at Ohio State

One of those things pays more than the other thing.

uh...yeah...OK....I'm gonna go with "broadcast" over "volunteer"....that's a tough one though...:stars2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes