PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vrabel to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, Vrabel and BB were not on very good terms by the time Vrabel was dealt away. It was due to Vrabel complaining about money, and his role as dressing room leader with an anti-BB or at least serious tweeking of BB bent.

If you sign him, then that means no Burgess probably, and at this point I think Burgess has more to offer.

Odd that KC would extend Vrabel than cut him, they didn't add any OLB in the draft.

I'd love to see him in camp showing the rookies what it means to compete, but it's hard to envision him an improvement over Ninkovich or Burgess, should he return.

If Vrabes comes back it's as an scouting assistant in the personnel department to prepare him to be Coach Scarnecchia's assistant the next year. More likely he lands a job at Ohio State.

They signed him to a one year extension on March 4th. The terms were supposedly a $1.6M salary and a $1.4M roster bonus. So it doesn't make much sense they would be cutting him. And if for some reason they were it would speak volumes.

Vrabel = slooooowwwwww

No thank you. Let the Jets sign him instead of AT. ;)

I would imagine that, unless it's the Lourdes of the midwest, Vrabel didn't get any quicker, faster, or younger after a year in KC.

Last edited:
If we're gonna bring back favorite old players to take up a roster spot even though they cant play anymore, let's bring back Andre Tippet. Better than Vrabel. Great leader. Probably still fits into his old uniform. :)

Vrable was on espn before he signed his extention and said if he doesn't sign one with KC he'd love to play for the pats again.

I'd love to have him involved in the organization in anyway.

Assuming there is nothing personal between BB and Vrabes, and Vrabes still wants to coach, perhaps he could do one of those NFL coaching internships with our LBs. Best of both worlds for Pats...His leadership and intensity, without his declining play.

I promise you we will sign him one day.... Most likely the day before he retires.

Mike is one of the members of the NFLPA Executive Committee. That's a lot more involved than being a player rep. These are the guys who voted for DeMaurice. I don't think Bill begrudges these guys their views and opinions on labor relations or scheme, I just think he doesn't want them to become a divisive/contentious issue within his locker room. Mike was also something of an odd duck. He and BB had great respect and admiration for one another. Yet Mike could reportedly be vocally confrontational at times (even with management as in his comments on Patriots Place and who should benefit from it revenue wise) and he never attended the off season program. Bill makes exceptions for those kinds of minuses as long as the pluses clearly outweight them. By last season that was no longer the case.

They signed him to a one year extension on March 4th. The terms were supposedly a $1.6M salary and a $1.4M roster bonus. So it doesn't make much sense they would be cutting him. And if for some reason they were it would speak volumes.

It would tell me that Vrabel has some nagging injury issue that the Chiefs aren't going to make public because it would hurt his chances to get attention from other teams.

As for the man himself? I'd bring him back just so that he could retire in a Patriot uniform... but as a back-up. I didn't like the Seymour trade last year, but I thought the Vrabel one was a smart move even though his replacements stemmed a huge need at the OLB position this year. Vrabel with the Chiefs essentially appeared to be a guy on his last legs. As a back-up, I would like to have him. As a starter? Not so much.

This guy still being our best pass russer if he backs.

It would tell me that Vrabel has some nagging injury issue that the Chiefs aren't going to make public because it would hurt his chances to get attention from other teams.

As for the man himself? I'd bring him back just so that he could retire in a Patriot uniform... but as a back-up. I didn't like the Seymour trade last year, but I thought the Vrabel one was a smart move even though his replacements stemmed a huge need at the OLB position this year. Vrabel with the Chiefs essentially appeared to be a guy on his last legs. As a back-up, I would like to have him. As a starter? Not so much.

Not if that roster bonus was paid in March it wouldn't. They already overpaid for him in 2009. Pioli is more value conscious than his mentor. Why would he hand him a check for that kind of money? Unless the deal was all fluff and the roster bonus isn't due until May and they just wanted to use him as a place holder smoke screen pre draft? But he's not the kind of guy to stand for that. He'd have wanted to be on the market pre draft. And they didn't target an OLB in this draft. If they cut him it's because they think he's toast on the field and doesn't bring enough in the locker room (again in part because he doesn't attend off season workouts and he brings some CBA baggage along for the ride).

Not if that roster bonus was paid in March it wouldn't. They already overpaid for him in 2009. Pioli is more value conscious than his mentor. Why would he hand him a check for that kind of money? Unless the deal was all fluff and the roster bonus isn't due until May and they just wanted to use him as a place holder smoke screen pre draft? But he's not the kind of guy to stand for that. He'd have wanted to be on the market pre draft. And they didn't target an OLB in this draft. If they cut him it's because they think he's toast on the field and doesn't bring enough in the locker room (again in part because he doesn't attend off season workouts and he brings some CBA baggage along for the ride).

They haven't even been into OTAs yet, so how would they have come to that conclusion in a month of weightlifting?

Vrabel would make an excellent LB's coach, especially if our current LB's coach is eventually promoted to DC.

Is he ready to coach yet?

No to Vrabel. I would have brought him back a few months ago, but things changed after this draft. We have a new crop of leadership coming in, and having Vrabel here would get in the way of their development. We need these players to start working together now. It's time to move on from that era.

As for bringing him in as a coach, it seems way too soon. He hasn't had any time away from the game and would still be too familiar with many of our players to maintain the distance a coach needs. He also doesn't have any experience as a coach, at least that I know of. Bring him in a few years from now and make him some kind of assistant, but it's too soon for it to happen this year.

Vrabel would make an excellent LB's coach, especially if our current LB's coach is eventually promoted to DC.

Maybe. Vrabel is known to have a strong personality and biting sense of humor. Not sure that's what Belichick wants.

Love Vrabel, but don't they have something like 10 or 11 linebackers on the roster already? And most of them are good bets to make the team. I don't know if there would be enough room for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes