PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vrabel on EEI today

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
I guess he's just been hanging out around Ohio State. Said that he told Carpenter if the Pats draft him he wont be taking his position. Didnt seem to be so high on Carpenter says he can have great games then dissapear for others, says he's inconsistent. Compared Holmes to Branch but says Holmes is faster but not as quick. Thinks Hawk will be great. Says as long as they have brady they will always be contenders. They asked him about Willie, he said he was sad to see him leave but its a business. they asked him about Vinateri and vrabel's response was "To be honest, i didnt know adam all that well". Basically thats it.

R_T26 said:
I guess he's just been hanging out around Ohio State. Said that he told Carpenter if the Pats draft him he wont be taking his position. Didnt seem to be so high on Carpenter says he can have great games then dissapear for others, says he's inconsistent. Compared Holmes to Branch but says Holmes is faster but not as quick. Thinks Hawk will be great. Says as long as they have brady they will always be contenders. They asked him about Willie, he said he was sad to see him leave but its a business. they asked him about Vinateri and vrabel's response was "To be honest, i didnt know adam all that well". Basically thats it.

The Carpenter thing could just be mind games. What Peter King said about not believeing anything you hear from Coaches or Owners in the week leading up to the draft could just about cover anybody connected with the NFL.

But it's interesting to hear what he's saying all the same.

Last edited:
"To be honest, i didnt know adam all that well".

Wow! That seems like a damning statement..basically pleading the 5th. Maybe Adam wasn't all that well liked by the rest of the team.

NE_Paddy said:
The Carpenter thing could just be mind games. What Peter King said about not believeing anything you hear from Coaches or Owners in the week leading up to the draft could just about cover anybody connected with the NFL.

If the Pats decide to take Carpenter at #21, I will be happy and a huge fan of the pick. However, I think its unusual how some fans have fallen blindly in love with him. Whenever something comes up to suggest he's anything other than an all-world prospect, people try to rationalize it away. Yesterday someone said Profootball Weekly was a rag for suggesting Carpenter had character problems, and that the writer had some kind of agenda and no crdibility. That is possible...Today Vrabel is luke warm on Carpenter (not the first time; Vrabel was lukewarm on him in his last interview on EEI, in Feb, as well) so Vrabel must be spreading misinformation. Maybe.... If his play was inconsistent it's because he wasn't used right. Okay... If his production wasn't great, it was because he was hiding an injury.Sure...If he was being prissy and immature, it's because the scouts are dweebs.Fine... I'd be happy if the Pats get him, but I'm not pining for the guy.

and NE Paddy,
that wasn't directed at you, just a general observation...:)

Maybe Vrabes is intentionally down playing him, just to help insure he falls to #21. But BB is probably not confiding his draft plans & strategies to Mike Vrabel either.

At this time of year, anybody's guess as to the real location of the truth is probably as good as anyone else's.

PonyExpress said:
If the Pats decide to take Carpenter at #21, I will be happy and a huge fan of the pick. However, I think its unusual how some fans have fallen blindly in love with him. Whenever something comes up to suggest he's anything other than an all-world prospect, people try to rationalize it away. Yesterday someone said Profootball Weekly was a rag for suggesting Carpenter had character problems, and that the writer had some kind of agenda and no crdibility. That is possible...Today Vrabel is luke warm on Carpenter (not the first time; Vrabel was lukewarm on him in his last interview on EEI, in Feb, as well) so Vrabel must be spreading misinformation. Maybe.... If his play was inconsistent it's because he wasn't used right. Okay... If his production wasn't great, it was because he was hiding an injury.Sure...If he was being prissy and immature, it's because the scouts are dweebs.Fine... I'd be happy if the Pats get him, but I'm not pining for the guy.

Carpenter is an odd case. Every profile focuses on intangibles. Lots of them report that he has lousy instincts, is a poor teammate and dumb as a post. And lots of them report that his best attributes are his terrific instincts, leadership, and intelligence. Nobody's in the middle.

Comment on Vrabel

Vrabel is a great player. That being said, his comments if true are a little on the T.O. side. I think that more than likely he is being misqouted. In any event Mike Vrabel is a "BEAST" among soft little lineman. His work ethic is dumfounding, his focus on the play is legendary, and if he says he didn't know Adam Vinatieri that well then he just plain did'nt know him that well. How many of us know all our co-workers ...."WELL". Come on give me a break, most of us could'nt even tell someone else thier co-workers last names. Adam will be a legend in New England... forever. He helped give us 3 Rings. For that he is the man. Vrabel knows that. GO PATS! Dont start rumoring about our guys, things are scary, not hopeless!

Last edited:
IndyKen said:
Maybe Vrabes is intentionally down playing him, just to help insure he falls to #21. But BB is probably not confiding his draft plans & strategies to Mike Vrabel either.

I think it's more like "show A, have them think B, but go C."

The Gr8est said:

Wow! That seems like a damning statement..basically pleading the 5th. Maybe Adam wasn't all that well liked by the rest of the team.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. First of all, kickers are traditionally looked down upon by "real" football players. Then comes this guy who, rightly or wrongly, is given almost single-handed credit for winning 2 or even 3 Super Bowls by the know-nothing fans and the know-less Boston media. Then AV seems to be basking in the spotlight, not deflecting credit like the guys who really deserve it (Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, etc.) would do. Then in a final thank-you-in-the-nuts, he not only bolts but does so despite having almost the same offer on the table from his home team and doesn't even give them a chance to match.

All I can say is, it's plausible. Very plausible.

NE_Paddy said:

I doubt BB coached Vrabs into lying on air about Carpenter. Granted BB is a genius, he probably has more important things to get done this week than to bring in Vrabs in the office and prep him for a low-key WEEI interview.

The following conversation most likely never took place.

BB- "Ohh and hey, these guys are going to bring up Carpenter. Remember other NFL GM's and coaches are always trying to figure out our plans, so assume they're listening. Say that Carpenter is inconsistent, then they'll think we'll pass on him."

Vrabel- "Brilliant, Billy, brilliant."

Vrabel has been around the OSU program closer than anyone on this forum, so I trust his word. Inconsistent players don't last too long in this league, particularly with winning teams like the Patriots.

Every time I have seen Vrabel interviewed he seems quite arrogant and does not seem to care about what anyone else has to say. This was especially true when he was on the NFL Draft show last year. I just think he has an edge to him, where he will say what he wants when he wants. I also would tend to believe, that because Carpenter would be a similar player to Vrabel, that Vrabel does not want to praise him thinking he could come in and replace him. It is all part of that competitive edge. He is ****y, and I like it. It is what makes him, him on the field.

nickw308810 said:
I also would tend to believe, that because Carpenter would be a similar player to Vrabel, that Vrabel does not want to praise him thinking he could come in and replace him. It is all part of that competitive edge. He is ****y, and I like it. It is what makes him, him on the field.

ding, ding, ding!
we have a winner!:D

nickw308810 said:
Every time I have seen Vrabel interviewed he seems quite arrogant and does not seem to care about what anyone else has to say. This was especially true when he was on the NFL Draft show last year. I just think he has an edge to him, where he will say what he wants when he wants. I also would tend to believe, that because Carpenter would be a similar player to Vrabel, that Vrabel does not want to praise him thinking he could come in and replace him. It is all part of that competitive edge. He is ****y, and I like it. It is what makes him, him on the field.

I heard the interview. Vrabel did not sound arrogant at all. His interest was the future of the Patriots. He also talked about their disappointment in not winning the Super Bowl last year.

The Gr8est said:

Brady referred to Adam as a "great teammate" on Sirius Radio. Maybe Adam was well liked by the rest of the team but not by Vrabel.

Miguel said:
Brady referred to Adam as a "great teammate" on Sirius Radio. Maybe Adam was well liked by the rest of the team but not by Vrabel.

Definite possibility.

Then again maybe it is neither?

Maybe Vrabel, an old school LB could care less about getting to know the kicker and is simply stating a fact.

Tom Brady is the most polished interview in all of sports. He rarely says controversial things about any opposing players and never does so about teammates. Tom has used the "great teammate and one of my closest friends on the team" line about half the guys he has played with at this point.

Seymour93 said:
I doubt BB coached Vrabs into lying on air about Carpenter. Granted BB is a genius, he probably has more important things to get done this week than to bring in Vrabs in the office and prep him for a low-key WEEI interview.

The following conversation most likely never took place.

No, it probably didn't--because BB didn't need to tell Vrabel that. There are two things I think we can safely conclude:

(1) Whatever Vrabel's true feelings are re: Carpenter, he's already made them abundantly clear to Belichick in private.
(2) If Brady is like a Belichick with a better throwing arm, then Vrabel is like a Belichick with the ability to tackle. Vrabel knew exactly what he was doing when he said whatever he said about Carpenter.

Patti37 said:
I heard the interview. Vrabel did not sound arrogant at all. His interest was the future of the Patriots. He also talked about their disappointment in not winning the Super Bowl last year.
I wasn't commenting on that specific interview as I didn't hear it. I was just saying in general that is how I percieved him.

ctpatsfan77 said:
No, it probably didn't--because BB didn't need to tell Vrabel that. There are two things I think we can safely conclude:

(1) Whatever Vrabel's true feelings are re: Carpenter, he's already made them abundantly clear to Belichick in private.
(2) If Brady is like a Belichick with a better throwing arm, then Vrabel is like a Belichick with the ability to tackle. Vrabel knew exactly what he was doing when he said whatever he said about Carpenter.

Bingo, BB has talked about how smart Vrabel is, don't we think BB would have discussed the OSU guys with Vrabel? Vrabel knows not to give away anything that would tip the Pats hand.

On the Vinatieri comment, no matter how good Vinatieri was, he is still a kicker. Anyone that has ever played football at the high school or college level knows that kickers exist on the fringe of the team, and in many cases are not respected all that much, since they are in fact just a kicker. Kickers are not involved with many of the other players on the team on a regular basis. They really are just a step above the water boy, or a trainer in the minds of most football players.

It's not surprising to me that Vrabel really didn't know Vinatieri that well. Vinateri made his share of great kicks, most notably the snow bowl game, where there was indeed divine intervention, other than that I think alot of kickers would have made the kicks that he did given the opportunity.

Don't forget he missed 2 field goals against the Panthers that almost cost the Patriots the game.

Vrabel is a little ****y himself, but the guys is solid and makes plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down