PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vrabel Dissed. Sanders DPOY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially since there is no such thing as a "Dis":rolleyes:

what's wrong with that word? you seriously seem to have a problem with it and I'm a little curious as to why. Most common expressions are slang that at one point in time evolved out of some other words....just curious

Websters:
tr.v. dissed, diss·ing, diss·es Informal
To show disrespect to, often by insult or criticism: Example Mike Vrabel was dissed by not winning the DPOY Award."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Informal...as in uneducated. Many words of the uneducated now make it into Websters...maybe they're trying to be PC. But don't ever think it's an "acceptable" word.

Try telling your boss he "dissed" you. Doesn't cut it in the professional business world.

Why do so many of YOU OPPOSING fans care what we think? :bricks:
It's our forum we can feel and say what we want. I agree that Sanders was deserving. But if some of us think otherwise, I don't see a problem with that opinion either.

I'm sure there are a few "Fred Taylor was dissed with the pro bowl" threads over there.:D

Informal...as in uneducated. Many words of the uneducated now make it into Websters...maybe they're trying to be PC. But don't ever think it's an "acceptable" word.

Try telling your boss he "dissed" you. Doesn't cut it in the professional business world.

Thanks for the tip Mr Wagnall.

so only words used in the professional business world are acceptable? That's sort of limiting on an internet massage board no?

what's wrong with that word? you seriously seem to have a problem with it and I'm a little curious as to why. Most common expressions are slang that at one point in time evolved out of some other words....just curious

Because people who use it in situations where it was never used before. For example... "You looked at me the wrong way and you're dissing me". Also many other instances where people claim to be "dissed" when they're not. The incidence of people being disrespected has NOT increased but the incidence of people claiming they are "dissed" has.

That is why it makes me sick. Pretty good reasoning too....satisfy your curiousity? I'm curious as to what you "thought" my reasoning would be.

Can I ask a question, how many of you thought Bob Sanders was great before the end of last season? It just seems like some media creation to me. They started saying he is great at the end of last season and in the playoffs and now everyone says he is a God.

I think the guy is good but its like one of those Emperor's New Clothes situations. Have you always thought he was this good? Or is it one of those things you have heard so often that you assume it be true but are not entirely sure why?

I knew it would be "PC" to blame.

How about "lonely'. Is that a word? Or "premeditated"?

so only words used in the professional business world are acceptable? That's sort of limiting on an internet massage board no?

True, you have a point there. I guess I've gotten sick of athletes saying they are dissed. And to see a fan using it in a case where no one was disrespected just irritated me.

True, you have a point there. I guess I've gotten sick of athletes saying they are dissed. And to see a fan using it in a case where no one was disrespected just irritated me.

Hijacking the thread irritated me seeing as I don't see what's wrong with using language we would use together at a bar for instance in a non business setting and in my original thinking I felt personally dissed as it's an afront to me as I feel I am at one with the team.

Because people who use it in situations where it was never used before. For example... "You looked at me the wrong way and you're dissing me". Also many other instances where people claim to be "dissed" when they're not. The incidence of people being disrespected has NOT increased but the incidence of people claiming they are "dissed" has.

That is why it makes me sick. Pretty good reasoning too....satisfy your curiousity? I'm curious as to what you "thought" my reasoning would be.

No the incidence has not increased, but instead people say "dissed" instead of disrespectful, as in your sarcasm when asking "satisfy your curiosity" would be considered disrespectful or a "dis."

And I suspected that your reasoning stemmed from you being a crotchety conservative type who's resistant to any change that isn't initiated out of his own will. Sort of a "kids these days" type of person. Although my assumption is probably wrong, which is why i tried to ask politely.

Last edited:
Can I ask a question, how many of you thought Bob Sanders was great before the end of last season? It just seems like some media creation to me. They started saying he is great at the end of last season and in the playoffs and now everyone says he is a God.

I think the guy is good but its like one of those Emperor's New Clothes situations. Have you always thought he was this good? Or is it one of those things you have heard so often that you assume it be true but are not entirely sure why?

The same thing happened with Polamalu a couple years ago

My opinion now is much as it was then. He's fantastic, but certainly not the unstoppable force that stops the Indy defense from coming unglued (if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor in this English lesson). Safeties are always around the ball, so it becomes one of those self-fulfiling prophecies ("holy cow he's in on the tackle again!).

To my untrained eye, he is as susceptible to play-action and pump-fakes as Polamalu is.

You make no sense...please elaborate.

Okay. "Lonely" and "premeditated" (and countless others) weren't 'proper words' before Shakespeare first used them.

Language is an ever-evolving thing. We have to go with the flow.

I'm a hypocrite though, because I'll never acknowledge "guestimate" as a proper word.

Hijacking the thread irritated me seeing as I don't see what's wrong with using language we would use together at a bar for instance in a non business setting and in my original thinking I felt personally dissed as it's an afront to me as I feel I am at one with the team.

I've never used that word in my life nor can I recall anyone of my friends ever using it. It's a fairly recent form of the word. If someone approached me and said "are you dissn' me?", I would either laugh or say "What?"

Of course Vrabel wasn't insulted or disrespected. He's not the only other defensive player who was eligible for that award. Had Sanders not received it and someone other than Vrabel gotten it, he STILL would not have been disrespected. Once again, it's not up to you or I to say if someone is disrespected...unless YOU feel disrespected.

Last edited:

well he was relatively new last season. The Colts were a very mediocre defense last year and when he came back, I saw a huge difference. Watching him this year I've been very impressed with how hard he hits and how he's all over the field, tackling on almost every play. Two years ago I would have said Troy Polamalu was the defensive player I'd most like to have on the Pats but now it's Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots