Welcome to PatsFans.com

VP confirms use of........I never said that.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Oct 27, 2006.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

When I read an article in this mornings Chicago Tribune on VP confirms use of water boarding, I didn't even blink. "It's a no-brainer" he stated. A dunk in the water is a no-brainer. Not to earth shattering as this administration condones the use of torture as evidenced by the amendment Bush included in the anti-torture bill. News flash, "Snow: Cheney doesn't support water boarding". Cheney wasn't talking about water boarding when talking about dunking a suspect.
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15443701/
    I'm sure he was talking about party favors and bobbing for apples because we all know how trustworthy and straightforward this man is. Do you think someone reminded him elections were 11 days away?
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 7 / -10

I sure hope we continue to waterboard terror leaders with valuable information. The suspects are broken within a couple of minutes with no physical harm being done. I don't view this as torture.

What problem specifically do you have with waterboarding and how do you propose interrogating terrorist leaders to protect American lives?

Specifics please.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Waterboarding is torture, and torture has never been proven to get a truthfull confession. just a confession. These people believe they will drown.

Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle French, from Old French, from Late Latin tortura, from Latin tortus, past participle of torquEre to twist; probably akin to Old High German drAhsil turner, Greek atraktos spindle
    1 a : anguish of body or mind : AGONY b : something that causes agony or pain
    2 : the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure
    3 : distortion or overrefinement of a meaning or an argument

I guess I would rather the US take a page from the Wu-Tang clan: Sew their a$$ho*e shut, and keep feeding them...and feeding them.....and feeding them.

no harm done.
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

It's obvious that you believe only what you prefer to believe. It has never been proven that torture brings results and many experts disagree with its use. My post concerned the double-speak in which this administration constantly uses. I'm not an expert in interrogation, so I have nothing to submit on how to interrogate. Coincidental, neither are you as your only resolve is the use of torture.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 7 / -10

Really. well we did get valid information from Sheik Kahlid Muhammed (sp) the architect of the 9-11 attack, that lead to info that allowed the capture of terrorist in the US.

I don't view the waterboarding process as torture, it is used in the training of US soldiers, FBI and CIA agents. We don't torture our own people.

Your inference that this technique isn't effective is simply incorrect.

Again How specifically do you propose getting information from captured terrorist leaders to protect Americans.

Again please provide specifics and not bland generalities and meaningless platitudes.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

From a retired US Intelligence Officer:
    http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2006/October/08/edit/stories/04edit.htm
    Collin Powell is critical of the use of torture and has criticized Bush's policy.
    General Wesley Clark: We thought we were in this uniform because we stood for something. We stood for something that was right, that was fair, what was just: we didn't torture people.
    I'm sure this is lost on Cheney who had six deferments because he had other priorities.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

According to media accounts (sources) waterboarding was banned in the Millitary Commissions Act of 2006. Furthermore, I think you all should watch what Brian Ross says on the O'Reilly Factor a month ago regarding torture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UnkZuJ0Qrk

For those of you who aren't familiar with ABC's Brian Ross, he is highly regarded as a newsman.

Watch the video its 6 minutes long.