Welcome to PatsFans.com

Voting Rights Attorney Resigns Over Stonewalling.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInMaine, May 19, 2010.

1. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

More information to this situation... he's fat and wears glasses also..

Justice Department Lawyer Behind New Black Panther Case Resigns | TPMMuckraker

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Good for him choosing principle over coverup of course the left will smear him it is their SOP.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Yea the right never smears anyone and always play by the rules, whatever they are... see Valerie Plame for example.
  5. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Maybe he'll write a book.
    I'd buy it.
    If they let me.
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I think this is the video of voter intimidation:

YouTube - "Security" patrols stationed at polling places in Philly

I'm not sure how intimidating it is, but of course, these are black men, which naturally makes some conservatives jump to conclusions. In addition, I suspect it's rather difficult to prosecute people who are standing around looking intimidating, since that's a judgment call. The police were right to tell these men to leave and the one with the billy club certainly deserved some kind of penalty, but in my opinion the exaggeration around this issue is mostly another example of racism on the part of the right wing. I don't think this video warrants a federal case.

It's good that Bush holdover resigned. We don't need people like him protecting civil rights.
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  7. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

So on the one hand you admit there was intimidation but on the other, you say it's racist to complain about it.:confused:
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I think the over the top reaction to this --the way some elements of the right wing continue to try to milk this story -- is racism; a normal level of concern is not racism in my opinion. This case happened over a year ago, and from the video it doesn't seem like there's a blatant violation. Is it illegal to carry a billy club? I don't know. But, the man standing there did not raise the club or threaten people as far as I can tell. It was certainly right to chase them away, and I hope that in conservative states that political people who have barely concealed or openly carry weapons are chased away as well.
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

I don't think he admits there was intimidation. It seems like Patters is pointing out that intimidation is in the eye of the beholder and saying that it certainly could have been viewed that way.

The thing I don't get is this: While I don't advocate people standing around with billy clubs, sticks, knives, etc., and I do, as a smallish type female, tend to find that sort of thing a bit threatening even if not intended - why isn't it considered at least equally open to interpetation as "intimidating" when people show up carrying large guns (or even small ones, for that matter) in public places?

If the whole point of carrying a billy club is thought to be one of intimidation tactics, would not carrying a gun also be considered the same? Both are weapons, both are used to hurt people and both are dangerous. And while both could be rationalized as being carried for "protection," so what? What does the person carrying around nothing have as "protection?"

It seems to me that if some people are allowed, by law, to carry around guns in plain sight that other people should be allowed to carry around clubs or knives for the same reason. The thought also enters my mind that it's possible they might need to be doing so.

Just askin.
  10. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Because this is in front of a voting entrance. Voter intimidation.
    Very third world.

A guy in uniform holding a billy club who is wearing a uniform that is not a police officer, standing in front of a building that is holding the voting booths is not there to defend himself.
    And before I go in step in it with you again, I will not ask that you show me an example of someone(white guy)with a gun standing in same as stated above. I will just say that I would consider it just as egregious.

The idea coming out of your last paragraph screams out anarchy.
  11. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I disagree. Voter intimidation SHOULD be exposed as such.
    Charges of racism be damned.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

So, if an elderly black woman goes to vote and sees some big tough white guys standing outside and one is legally carrying a weapon, is that voter intimidation? How do you tell when it's voter intimidation and when it's loitering? I once worked on a political campaign in NH, and at the polling place were these two tough looking Reagan supporters. They were kind of intimidating looking to me, especially with their glare. Perhaps I should have called the Justice Department.
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

If the people used racial slurs and threats (the word honkey in this case IIRC) like the NBP are alleged to have done then it is voter intimidation.
  14. 363839

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to brandish a weapon of ANY kind outside a voting booth. Only the policeman outside the door can do that. He should be courtious and respectful.
    Certainly loitering outside a voting booth should be illegal if it isn't already.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's really impressive how brave you are from the comfort and safety of your home computer. Meanwhile, if you ever came upon such a scene in your everyday life, you would crap your pants (again) and run away like a little girl.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. Patters exposes how the left really feels about voting rights and intimidation. He honestly has no problem with a bunch of large black men wearing black panther gear and carrying billy club. And anyone who does have a problem with that is a racist.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

ROFLMAO And you, WP, have a problem with gross exaggeration.

It was not a "bunch of large black men carrying billy club." (which isn't even a proper sentence, btw.) It was TWO, count 'em, one, two, men, and of those TWO men, only ONE of them was carrying anything. And neither of them is particularily "large." In fact, if you watch the video of them leaving with the police officers, one of them is quite slight and the other is the same size as the policemen on the scene.

You'd be much more believable in many things, WP, if you could manage to tell the truth in the simplest of things.

YouTube - EJ Exclusive - Police Respond to Intimidation
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

Black Panthers

White Polar Bears
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'd say you'd be right to expose a "bunch of large black men carrying billy club." as an exageration but I think maybe you're trying too hard with the rest of it. I'm pretty sure I'd be intimidated, maybe not to the point of not voting though. I just can't give those guys a pass on that....nor would I for white civilian guys with clubs standing in front of a voting station.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh my. The last gasp of the truly pathetic - being a spelling/grammar nazi. Yes, I edited my post in such a way that it came out grammatically incorrect. If your best response is to become a grammar nazi and say that I used the term "bunch" incorrectly then you've really done little but helped prove my point.

You're just like Patters. It's easy to be brave from the safety of your home computer but like him you'd be crappin' bricks in such a situation. It never surprises me how low the left is willing to go and the disgusting tactics they are willing to defend.