Welcome to PatsFans.com

Voting in Guam, Puerto Rico, ect...?????

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, May 4, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 13 / -7

I had no idea that Guam, Puerto Rico, were allowed to vote in Presidential elections. I knew that they were under the US flag, but I believed that they were not eligible to vote.

They are not US citizens, are they?

This is not a right vs left post.... If anybody could shed some light on
    this subject, I would appreciate it.

I am not for or against it... I am jut curious.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

Since they are not states they have no electorial votes... so they have no direct influence in the election. Part of the reason some want to do away with the Electorial college.
  3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 13 / -7

I just found this info....

Can citizens in U.S. Territories vote for President?

No, the Electoral College system does not provide for residents of U.S. Territories, such as Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa to vote for President. Unless citizens in U.S. Territories have official residency (domicile) in a U.S. State or the District of Columbia (and vote by absentee ballot or travel to their State to vote), they cannot vote in the Presidential election. Note that prior to the adoption of the 23rd Amendment, DC residents could not vote in the Presidential election.

The political parties may authorize voters in primary elections in Territories to select delegates to represent them at the political party conventions. But that process does not affect the Electoral College system.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

I had not considered Guam, but always thought that Puerto Rican folks could vote..