Welcome to PatsFans.com

Voting Democrat?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by atomdomb, Apr 2, 2010.

1. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If the Dems were the original racists and really wanted to keep all their slaves then why do blacks vote for them in such large numbers? The history here is not really up for debate. Republicans were at the forefront of freeing the slaves and getting rights for blacks. What happened along the way? Here is an except from the WSJ about this issue.

While Harry Truman deserves great credit for ending racial segregation in the military and the civil service, his efforts to pass civil-rights legislation also died from Southern Democratic opposition despite strong support from Republicans, who controlled Congress in 1947 and 1948. This makes Dwight Eisenhower’s success in passing civil rights bills in 1957 and 1960 all the more remarkable, since Democrats then controlled both Houses of Congress.

“Lyndon Johnson consistently opposed civil-rights legislation while he was in Congress, but as president worked hard to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Neither would have passed without the strong support of congressional Republicans, who provided the margin of victory.

The GOP Is the Party of Civil Rights - WSJ.com

Knowing history is important, obviously, and all this makes for good reading. But I need to break it you: blacks who vote for Democrats do not care about this history. The only bit of history they care about is the one that provides excuses and finger-pointing opportunities: ancestors in bondage, great-grandparents and grandparents struggling to gain first class citizenship in this country, etc. They don’t care who did what to or for whom in the past. All they care about is who’s offering them the most goodies today.

Democrats know they’ve got an eternal lock on 90 percent of the “black vote.” All they have to do is continue to promise black Americans bigger and better government programs and government handouts (so-called affirmative action, set-aside contracts, and other entitlements qualify as handouts to me), and encourage them to blame third parties for their troubles. (And I’m talking about blacks as a group here.) No grand theories. It is that simple.

Thoughts?

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +373 / 11 / -28

Re: Just a couple of thoughts...

The Dem party of the 60's (LBJ time) is much different than the Dem Party of now, many southern Dems switched parties subsequent to the civil rights votes in the latter 60's.. have to be very careful of revisionist history.. over 25% of Democrats voted against the bill.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was a lot of party switching after that vote, so it is not that simple.. most things have a context. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is..

3. atomdomb

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The bill and history are not in question. What I wonder is are blacks following the Democratic party because they percieve they will get more "free stuff".

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +373 / 11 / -28

Some might look at that quote and call you a racist. If you have to ask you will never understand????

My personal view is the democratic party is more homogenous and appeals more to the working class people.. but that is not important.

5. atomdomb

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Would you say that the Republicans are more working class or the Democrats? It seems to me that the Democrat voting rolls are loaded with people that get entitlements. I could be wrong on this but my guess is the overwhelming majority of welfare recipients vote Democrat. I don't consider them to be working class.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Be careful everybody, they're waiting to pounce on the race card when the right 'word' comes along.

7. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

oh yes the race card... where to start?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1 0r 2

1 or 2

1 or 2

[​IMG]

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +373 / 11 / -28

You obviously missed Wall Street, Enron, Banking Industry, AIG, Bear Sterns etc... the rich republicans get the biggest bailouts and are the most dependent.. Haliburton and Xe continually commit fraud, but then get 2 billion dollar contracts..

For many poor people there is a fine line between unemployment and welfare...

You make a lot of judgements about the poor expecially minorities...

The reality is that during the Democratic Convention it was about 47% minority, and during the Republican Convention it was less than 4%... so if you assume that the majority of that 47% was on welfare you comments may have some veracity, but in reality they make no sense..

But I suspect if you have to ask this question, you will never understand, it is that pearls to swine thing again...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. atomdomb

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Interesting points. Big business is republican? I thought they pretty much cater to the party that is in power. Bear Stearns got bailed out? I also remember many pubs voting against Obama's stimulus program. I think more voted against it than for it. That helped out big business didn't it? Many pubs pushed back against the Bush relief program. Remember, the bailout that let banks get more big bonuses. Is Haliburton still working for the US government? They are? Why? Isn't there a Dem majority now? Can't the Dems get rid of them? Maybe they don't want to.

Alot of judgements about the poor? I said that the Dems figured out that by giving handouts they could keep people at a certain level that would ensure they would vote Democrat again. They are doing the same thing with health care. Building their voting block by getting more people dependent on the government. People are becoming slaves to the government check. What's the incentive to do any better is the check keeps coming every month. Brilliant strategy that will eventually destroy America. Welfare is keeping people from finding employment. Maybe not so much right now but when employment picks up again lets just see if the welfare rolls start to shrink. Doubt it.

To say that a majority of those on the government dole don't vote Democrat is a little disingenous don't you think. Many welfare recipients are based in urban settings. Urban settings vote overwhelmingly for Democrats. The math at this point should be easy.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +373 / 11 / -28

As I said if you have to ask probably will not understand, watch any tea party and see who they are connecting with.. watch any republican function and see who they are connecting to.. then with the same glasses watch any democratic function... see the difference. Most dems from the city are not on welfare, nor do most people who are on welfare want to be on it.

You make many assumptions, and based on my experience most really poor folks on welfare do not vote, most do not pay attention to what is going on politically.. while many of the poor folks who work for a living find the Dem message more appealing, not convinced if it is due to handouts..

Farmers get subsidies, and that is basically a handout.. are they democrats??

As far as Haliburton and the rest of the Defense Contractors who continually commit fraud are not stopped, have little confidence in any one can ever stop or even slow down the military industrial complex... as a society we are immune to their continual abuses and have come to expect it..

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +266 / 10 / -11

I think your point is absurd. Back in the days of Lincoln, the Republican Party represented Northern business interests, and in fact after the Civil War Lincoln was hounded by the left-wing Radical Republicans who wanted him to extract further concessions from the South. Blacks back then were more likely to be Republican than Democrats.

Well, the South was quite angry with the Republicans, so the white southerners mostly became Democrats, while many blacks became Republican. In fact, Martin Luther King was a black Republican, even though he's now assailed by them as a Communist and is consistently associated with Democratic policies, including LBJ's Great Society.

Meanwhile, the Democrats kept reaching out for the blacks, with Wilson, Roosevelt, and Truman taking important steps in terms of equal rights. Eleanor Roosevelt, after leaving the White House, championed civil rights, and used to travel in the south carrying a gun because she was so hated (by Dixiecrats).

In 1964, the Democrat Party, under the leadership of JFK and LBJ, made perhaps the most principled decision in the history of modern politics. They passed Civil Rights and Voting Rights, and in effect threw the Dixiecrats under the bus. The Republicans, who were largely corporate types, moved quickly to get the Dixiecrats. But, it was Reagan--who actually launched his political campaign in Philadelphia, MS where three civil rights workers were murdered and expressed support for states rights (which back then meant 'segregation')--who won over the Dixiecrats to the Republicans. Prior to the racist Reagan, the Republican Party was not clearly racist. They were more classist, and largely rejected anyone who wasn't a blue-blooded American -- that's why the Republicans don't do particularly well even today among the Jews, Latinos, Irish, etc.

13. atomdomb

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Whoops, I forgot something very important.

Knowing history is important, obviously, and all this makes for good reading. But I need to break it you: blacks who vote for Democrats do not care about this history. The only bit of history they care about is the one that provides excuses and finger-pointing opportunities: ancestors in bondage, great-grandparents and grandparents struggling to gain first class citizenship in this country, etc. They don’t care who did what to or for whom in the past. All they care about is who’s offering them the most goodies today.

Democrats know they’ve got an eternal lock on 90 percent of the “black vote.” All they have to do is continue to promise black Americans bigger and better government programs and government handouts (so-called affirmative action, set-aside contracts, and other entitlements qualify as handouts to me), and encourage them to blame third parties for their troubles. (And I’m talking about blacks as a group here.) No grand theories. It is that simple.

Here is the link...

Why Black People Don’t Care that GOP Is Civil Rights Party

FYI, La Shawn Barber is black conservative woman. Her info:

Who Am I?

You are a fool for thinking that I could write so eloquently and if I could you are a fool to think I would waste my time writing it here. Just wondering if you want to call Ms. Barber a racist. Oh yeah, I paraphrased her and you gaveinf me an infraction. Just wondering if you would like to let Ms. Barber know that she stereotyped people of her own race. Maybe you should enlighten her with your old white man view of black people. I am sure she would turn you into more of a babbling idiot.

14. atomdomb

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Did everyone see this the first time around. I am sure Patters will try to hide it under a rock to save face.

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +266 / 10 / -11

I don't even understand your point. People vote their interests. Do you have so little perspective of others' points of view that you don't understand what that means?

That is so bizarrely ignorant that I have to ask what you really know about the black community. You haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about, and I'll be surprised if you get much support from even other conservatives here.

People vote their interests. I think blacks want good schools, safe streets, job training, financial support to single moms, public daycare for the working poor, food for the hungry, and the other sorts of things that many principled people want. That said, I have no doubt that in the poor black community there is just as great a number of unprincipled thieves as there is in the middle class white community or among the wealthy.

You got an infraction because you act as if every black person voted Democratic because they want handouts. That's an awful stereotype, and complaints were made.

16. atomdomb

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Did you read what I wrote? The black conservative woman wrote that. Are you kidding me? Who was complaining about Ms LaShawn Barber? She is a black woman and now people think she is stereotyping black people. Someone is ignorant here and it isn't me.

You are being very ignorant, but I expect that. Your responses above where just made to Ms. LaShawn Barber. She happened to write these two paragraphs on her blog that I linked to.

THE PARAGRAPHS ABOVE WERE WRITTEN BY A CONSERVATIVE BLACK WOMAN!!!. She also is quoted and is a regular on many different news outlets of all types.[/B]

I can't believe you went ahead with your last post. Did you even read what I wrote? The orginal post was from a blog of a black woman and you just called her ignorant.[COLOR="red]
    :bricks:

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Good God!!! I'll bet that's something you've never done!!

What's your point, Atom? A black woman can't be ignorant? That a rich black blogger knows everything there is to know about poor black people?

That's like saying Anne Coulter or Nancy Pelosi is a spokesperson for poor white America because, by golly, they're white women and who'd know better!!

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +266 / 10 / -11

Thank you. You put it better than I would have. It appears atom is getting tripped up by his own stereotyping, and now it seems like he's saying, "It wasn't me! It wasn't me!" as if the column doesn't represent his own point of view.

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Yeah, well, isn't there some sort of unspoken rule of posting etiquette (along with, of course, the legal rules regarding copyright infringement) which says it's a big no-no to cut and paste entire articles/blog posts/op-ed pieces, post them as if they were your own and not give credit and link to the original author?

Maybe it's just me and the fact that I occasionally write for professional sources but it's always just been an unwritten rule that no one simply takes someone else's hard work and posts it anywhere as if it's their own without crediting the original author. There are big laws out there against that sort of behaviour.

I'm sure Atom thinks it's no big deal and he won't get caught and so what if he does - but the truth is, it IS a big deal and people DO get caught and they DO get in trouble for it.

Authors are a vain group. Especially internet authors. I don't know a writer in the world who does not, religiously, google his/her own name and the titles and opening lines of their articles/poetry/stories.

And trust me on this one, coz it's happened to me. Nothing makes them madder than not being given credit for something they've written. It's called plagiarism and it's against the law.

It was a bogus thing to do, Atom. I've not seen anyone else do it here, either, so I'm presuming it's not standard practice. People are basically trusting and when they see something written under someone's screen name they assume that person wrote it unless that poster is honest enough to give credit where it belongs right from the get-go.

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Not only did you originally try to pawn off your first post as your own commentary - now when you 'fess up and acknowledge that it was written by A BLACK WOMAN!!! A CONSERVATIVE BLACK WOMAN!!! and reprint her words so we know that we're hearing what a black woman knows is true about other black people - it turns out you left off the most important part - she was not speaking "fact," she has no wonderous knowledge and insight that only she, as a black woman, would have - she writes this at the end of her blog post:

....it is that simple. Only my opinion