Welcome to PatsFans.com

Vote to Repeal Mass State Income Tax??

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by MrBigglesWorth, Jul 31, 2008.

1. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Personally I think this would be on the road to fiscal responsibility. I read that the interest payments on the big dig caused the project to go from 15 billion to 22 billion. State books on expenditures aren't open to the public.

Sure we'd be hit hard first but it would be better in the long run forcing town and cities to budget their money responsibly once property taxes go up.

I hope the tax gets repealed.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

I'll be voting YES!

3. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So will I, but seeing as how the lawmakers still haven't even cut the rate to the 5% we approved in a binding vote 10 years ago, I don't have a lot of confidence that anything will change even if it passes.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Considering that MA ranks 28th in state and local tax burden, it's hard to imagine that we could tax taxes substantially without affecting our obligations or the quality of life of people in the state.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/335.html

The problem we face is the terrible mismanagement of the Big Dig, despite having years of Republican governors and some our finest corporations involved in the project and Romney's politically calculated, but economically unsound health plan.

That said, I would consider supporting the tax cut once I knew what the state would do to if it had much less money? Increase corporate taxes? More toll roads? More fees? Increase the sales tax? Make classrooms larger? Sell state parks? Cut off all aid to towns and cities? Etc.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

What a partisan tool. Yeah, the dig is all Romney's fault. :rolleyes:

The beauty of those tax foundation figures is how they exclude half the poop that local, and state governments require, that make the cost of living higher. Be it by registration fees, tolls, cig taxes, fines, penalties, code restrictions & requirements, etc.

6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Whatever happened to the lifetime car registrations?

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Calling me a partisan tool? I didn't say the dig was Romney's fault but the fact is that for most of the life of the Big Dig, we had Republican governors. When are you going to own up to the fact that the Party you seem to champion is responsible for some of the problems we face in our country?

What a pathetic rationalization. Talk about a partisan hack; you've deluded yourself with so many lies about the liberal state of Massachusetts that when the truth doesn't match your ill-informed view, you start grasping for straws. Show me that we have more or higher fees, fines, etc. than other states and that the difference is substantial enough to significantly alter the tax burden. If you can't accept the truth, then it's better to shut up than make unsubstantiated claims.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  8. schmessy

schmessy Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah and crack addicts will put down the pipe. :rolleyes:

9. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Why even bother voting?

Massachusetts has surrendered its sovernty to the elitist DNC years ago. How many times has the "people" of Mass passed an inititive and the legislation simpley ignored it?

Here's my promis to y'all, the income tax repeal will pass, and your General Court will once again laugh in your face, and ignore the will of the people. What you do not understand is that you are much dumber than they are, and that they know what is best for you, and that you are the great unwashed masses, who must be led by them.

10. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

Have you forgotten that you're talking to "Real" World? He doesn't believe in "facts," he believes in name-calling and giving you a bad board reputation when he disagrees. So I wouldn't hold my breath for a legitimate response from him if I were you. Maybe the tired lines about "reading comprehension" he likes to bust out as a last resort when he's really flailing. I doubt it this time though, seeing as how poorly he misread your last post and then Straw manned you.:banned:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  11. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

I'm not in MA anymore, but I hates taxes!! :)