PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I seen some mocks have us taking him. Is he worth a pick on day one if available and we already have a LB?
thanks

Vontae Davis is ok, but i think we would address the safety position before we go CB. The only CB i can see us taking early is Sean Smith only because he may have the ability to play both CB and S. We already have a couple of youngsters in Wheatley and Wilhite to go along with Spings, Bodden, and Hobbs. Right now at S we got Meriweather and Sanders, Harrison is unknown at this point...safety depth is the more pressing need. If not Sean Smith, Delmas or William Moore would be the players that i would target.

I definitely don't want him #23....

At #34 I still wouldn't be thrilled and he won't last past the 1st round anyway..

I don't see drafting a corner. However, Butler seems a better choice, especially if Springs is considered the swing DB, able to backup as free safety. We would then need to decide whether to draft a safety with the expection of cutting both Spann and Tank Williams.

I think that is much more likely that we will NOT see a corner in the first 100 for the patriots.

Last edited:
I don't see drafting a corner. However, Butler seems a better choice, especially if Springs is considered the swing DB, able to backup as free safety. We would then need to decide whether to draft a safety with the expection of cutting both Spann and Tank Williams.

I think that is much more likely that we will NOT see a corner in the first 100 for the patriots.

What he said. Word for word.

Last edited by a moderator:

I definitely don't want the high maintainence Davis, but I wouldn't be unhappy with Smith or Butler early on day one, or Byrd later in the day.

I definitely don't want the high maintainence Davis, but I wouldn't be unhappy with Smith or Butler early on day one, or Byrd later in the day.

Your are talking about the Phonse right? If so I agree but Davis is a hell of a talent with some character issues, I wouldn't mind him though because I think BB can handle him.

All we did so far, was add some depth and positional competition to our most obvious weakness. It has not been addressed to the point where we are 'set' by any means. Especially with our injury prone luck at this position.

Bodden is a question mark, although I agree on his upside and hope he works out. Hobbs is gone after this yr for sure, and the 2 from last yr are yet to be proven. Like I said in your other secondary post, last 2 times we had strength at the CB position we won Super Bowls with Ty Law, and went to the AFCCG and went 16-0, going back to the Super Bowl with Asante Samuel. That is what a shutdown corner does for you, it is more of a need now then in '01 etc, with higher percentages of teams throwing more, the development of the west coast offense, more spread formations, and added route responsibilities for the tight end position. I believe that BB puts more emphasis on this position now, then he did in prior years--just an opinion.

Everyone keeps saying that we're set now with Springs and Bodden. Springs and Bodden, etc. Springs is getting older, has been more injury prone, and is a nickle or safety at best. Bodden may not even make the roster, that is fact. With all of the decent CB's and the obvious luxury and history of being able to select the BPA, plus the good amount of picks--I certainly see a CB in the first 3 rounds. This defense doesn't have serious glaring issues, it only needs some additions, and of course depth towards looking to the future.

I am only trying to develop a decent argument for what some would believe, and by no means do I intend any smart ass tone etc. It's all a guessing game, but with the small percentage of picks making the roster, and the luxury of this being a good yr for the CB position--I expect and welcome a pick at this position. When next yr comes, we will lack a #1 corner, and our #2 will arguably be undecided too, depending on this yrs outcome and development.

I still hope we get a playmaking CB in the 2nd round, even with the additions at the position in FA.
Shawn Springs - Probably a good addition but is old and injury-prone.
Leigh Bodden - Hopefully plays like he did in Cleveland who run a similar defensive scheme but is only on a 1 year contract. I expect us to extend him during the season.
Ellis Hobbs - An average CB at best, could definitely be upgraded and is probably playing his last year in a Pats uniform.
Terrence Wheatley - Earned the starting job last year but that wasn't too difficult a task (Deltha O'Neal :D). If he can stay healthy I think he will turn into a playmaker for our secondary and possibly be a starter this year, whether thats on opening day or mid-season.
Jonathan Wilhite - Got significant reps late last year but again, that doesn't mean much (As I said before, Deltha O'Neal :D). Maybe a good nickel corner in a few years.

I hope we get Alphonso Smith in the early 2nd round. He reminds me of Asante Samuel because he has playmaking ability (21 Interceptions at Wake Forest) and shut down ability. Even though he lacks ideal height (5"9) and wasn't very fast at the combine (4.56), he plays a lot better than these results suggest. He has great instincts, ball skills, quick on the field and is rarely out of position. He could be Samuel's replacement.

I'd rather have Sean Smith if you're looking for a physical freak type.

Butler, A.Smith, S.Smith, Moore--I'll take any of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey